Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Amodel Yak-9P
Sovietwarplanes
April 28, 2024, 09:29:59 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Amodel Yak-9P  (Read 4893 times)
Dark Green Man

« on: February 23, 2010, 07:33:03 AM »

I would not recommend the drawings in Yak Fighter In Action as a reference.
those are some of the worst drawings of Yak-9's I've ever seen.
instead I would recommend :

Yak-9U & P
by Robert Panek
Mushroom Model Magazine Special (Yellow series)
no. 6119
ISBN 83-89450-27-5
or ISBN 978-83-89450-27-2

and

Jak-9P
by Luranc Zbigniew
Skrzydla w Miniaturze 20
Wydanictwo Avia-Press Gdansk 1999
ISSN 1234-4109
ISBN 83-902964-3-8

the drawings in both of these books are made from measurements of an actual surviving sample of the aircraft.
[/color]

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 01:27:36 PM »

Thanks, DGM, but I wasn't referring to the drawings in "Yak Fighters In Action", I was talking about a photo of a Hungarian Yak-9P, taken from the side, which could be resized to 1/72 scale to compare with the kit parts. I have both of the references you recommend, but I did not want to rely on anyone's drawings, I wanted to compare with an actual photo, if possible.

John
Graham Boak

« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2010, 06:22:38 PM »

Beware of sizing models from scale photographs.  These will introduce parallax errors, shortening distances at the edges of the field of view, thus making centrally-positioned items appear larger.
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2010, 05:51:11 AM »

Hi , John.
your idea sounds better than a comparison of scale drawings.
although those in the two books I mentioned are based on measurements from a real original surviving airframe.(possibly both?)

Hi , Graham.
it is nice to have you as a member of this forum.

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Graham Boak

« Reply #4 on: February 26, 2010, 05:19:00 PM »

Thank you.

I don't know if you move in those circles, but there has recently been considerable discussion (quite heated, unsurprisingly) because one enthusiast took measurements from photographs and convinced himself that Nakajima-built Zeros were a different length than Mitsubishi-built ones!  With a different fin, too.  He took a lot of convincing - though eventually he was, and was gracious enough to say so.  There was a lot of wasted time and aggravation.  I could see the possibility of such a situation arising here.

There are times when photogrammetry can help resolve issues of aircraft shape, but you do have to be very very careful.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: