Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Question on I-16 by Bert Andermann
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 05:39:51 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Question on I-16 by Bert Andermann  (Read 25268 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 07, 2009, 09:02:44 PM »

Hi, Smiley
an update from Konstantin:

In my opinion, there is no doubt any more that five I-16s were red.  Following links, videos and photos should proof it:

Excellent link about Soviet Aerobatic Teams at:  http://aerobaticteams.net/Russian_Past_Teams.html

Check it for red Yak-15s, Mig-15s, Mig-17s, Mig-19s and Mig-21.  Red color was mandatory for aerobatic teams after the war!

There is also one ?Krasnaya Pyaterka? photo from the 1940 series.  It?s the same formation of five I-16 M-62.  Note the prominent tail skies.  On this photo planes don?t look light gray or silver.

Also check Krasnaya Pyaterka video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V3N_iarw6R0

Another movie:

Праздник сталинской авиации,

Tushino, 18 August 1940

http://rutube.ru/tracks/685164.html?v=0aa1cc2b27488e6c4f5ec6cec64604ae

Five red I-16 M-62 appear shortly at 1:43

At the end of the video all five pilots are introduced:

Lakeyev

Nikolayev

Grashchenkov

Viktorov

Antonov

From the very end of the video:

Almost everything about the famous photo from E. Pilawski's Art Deco page is known:

Photo shows "Krasnaya Pyaterka" aerobatic team
Photo was taken in August 1940
Pilots:  Lakeyev (leader), Nikolayev, Grashchenkov, Viktorov and Antonov
Planes were M-62 powered I-16s made in November 1939
Planes were painted in overall red
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: October 07, 2009, 09:06:26 PM »

Hi Konstantin, Smiley
thank you for these interesting informations.

The first video, at its beginning, shows? planes in 1935. In my idea, the central plane was silver or white with black stripe on its sides, while the other ones look red.
The planes of 1936 looks all glossy red to my eye.
I've not yet downloaded the second video.
? seems to show a very small silver starlet on the tail.

All the photos don't look to show yellow front spinners or other yellow parts on leading edges.

Do you think that prop blades were red too?

Is it possible to obtain other images showing something on the rudder of the famous planes, to clarify about numbers and starlets?

Best regards
Massimo Smiley

« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 09:09:06 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: October 08, 2009, 03:26:13 PM »

Hi, Smiley
Konstantin has a comment to add:

Almost everything about the famous photo from E. Pillawsii's Art Deco page is known:

Photo shows "Krasnaya Pyaterka" aerobatic team
Photo was taken in August 1940
Pilots:  Lakeyev (leader),  Nikolayev,  Grashchenkov, Viktorov and Antonov
Planes were M-62 powered I-16s made in November 1939
Planes were painted in overall red
Nothing that Erik Pilawskii wrote about this photo is true.  This case clearly shows how unreliable source http://vvs.hobbyvista.com/ is.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: November 07, 2009, 03:12:27 PM »

Hi,
a good site on I-16 with some informations on the Red Five.
Massimo

http://i16fighter.narod.ru/begin/begin_e.htm
KL

« Reply #34 on: November 09, 2009, 02:54:58 AM »

Excellent Massimo! Smiley

I was familiar with that website but I never realized that there was English translation.
 Smiley
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: November 09, 2009, 07:29:44 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
maybe we could collect the informations availble into a small page on this team. Would you like to do this? Eventually I can colorize one or two photos, I am not sure that there are informations enough to trace reliable profiles.
Massimo
Lawotschkin

« Reply #36 on: January 30, 2010, 04:52:51 PM »

Hi,
I'am Bert Andermann (read first post) and in the near future I really want to complete my aerobatic team I-16 Type 24 in red with silver stars (there  were some other time-consumig projects in the last months, for example the Amodel Yak-3). But I still have a question. Is it better to paint my model completey red inclusive a red wheel well, wheel rim and landig gear? Or is it better to paint these things in light grey or light blue? I prefer the red variant.
marluc

« Reply #37 on: January 30, 2010, 08:42:25 PM »

Hello Bert:

Welcome to the forum,the aerobatic I-16 is a very interesting project.
Is it better to paint my model completey red inclusive a red wheel well, wheel rim and landig gear? Or is it better to paint these things in light grey or light blue?

It?s a very good question,I would go with the landing gears,wheel wells,wheel hubs and inner face of covers in AII Blue as in a standard I-16s,but it?s just a guess.The choice is really yours,due to the lack of accuratte information regarding this matter,all red will do just fine.Greetings.

Martin
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: January 31, 2010, 08:12:57 AM »

Hi Bert and Martin,
the photos don't show it for sure, but the wheel disk, at least, looks of the same shade of the plane.

In few parts where the landing gear is visible, it doesn't suggest to be lighter than the outside.
If the plane was sprayed red, it's easier to paint all the landing gear red than to mask it.
So, my guess is for red... but I can't be sure.
Massimo
KL

« Reply #39 on: September 16, 2010, 06:00:17 PM »

Good to see this interesting model finished!!!  It looks great!

Few comments:
?   There is no doubt about its colour ? it?s not interpretation of the b/w photo ? we know from documents that these planes were painted red
?   My monitor shows model as crimson red.  It should be the same as Red Star, a bit more orange, Ferrari red
?   1940 Krasnaya pyaterka planes were unarmed ? no wing guns and no gunsight.

Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: