Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Two new models of MiG-3
Sovietwarplanes
April 25, 2024, 09:57:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Two new models of MiG-3  (Read 5765 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: June 05, 2010, 11:17:27 PM »

Hi,
I've uploaded photos of two beautiful models of MiG-3
by Jan Karnik  http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/karnik/karnik.html
and Ilya Grinberg http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/mig3/ilya/ilya.htm.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2010, 11:15:46 PM »

Two beautiful models indeed! Since my favourite scale is 1/72, I really like Ilya Grinberg's results with the Easy Model rebuild. Some questions for Ilya:
(1) According to the text, the side intakes on the nose were replaced. Were these scratchbuilt, or taken from another kit?
(2) Did you use the cockpit parts from the RPM kit?
(3) What brand of paint did you use?

I was interested to see that you used the RPM radiator housing and the Eduard Il-2 spinner - this is very helpful information!

Thanks, Ilya - more photos would be welcome!

John
Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2010, 05:33:26 AM »

both of them are very nice!

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
marluc

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2010, 10:27:13 PM »

Wonderful models,I like the work Ilya have done to improve his Mig-3.Congratulations to both modellers,greetings.

Martin
learstang

« Reply #4 on: June 10, 2010, 06:17:08 PM »

Did the MiG-3 use a dark-green and medium-green topsides camouflage?  I thought the June 1941 directive mandated that planes with the overall green topsides should be painted with black bands for a black-green camouflage.  I may be wrong as my area of "expertise", such as it is, lay with the Shturmovik, not the MiG-3.  I do agree with all that these are nicely done models, and done in "God's scale", 1/72nd.

Regards,

Learstang

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: June 11, 2010, 07:12:33 AM »

Did the MiG-3 use a dark-green and medium-green topsides camouflage?  I thought the June 1941 directive mandated that planes with the overall green topsides should be painted with black bands for a black-green camouflage.  I may be wrong as my area of "expertise", such as it is, lay with the Shturmovik, not the MiG-3.  I do agree with all that these are nicely done models, and done in "God's scale", 1/72nd.

Regards,

Learstang
Difficult to say. According to recent knowledge, there should be not any standardized type of dark green.
On the other side, photos of MiG-3 and other types of 1941 usually show a modest contrast between camo colors, differently than later Yaks.
I suppose that in 1941 black was oversprayed over green in a very thin layer, and prone to fade. This could have given to it the appearance of a very dark grey-green.
learstang

« Reply #6 on: June 11, 2010, 05:42:32 PM »

Thank you for the response, Massimo!  I've read about the theory that aircraft that already had the green topsides had the black simply painted over it, sometimes lightly, leading to an appearance of dark-green and medium-green bands.  I've seen a photograph of an IL-2 which seems to show this.

Regards,

Learstang

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: