Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Late MiG-3 Camouflage
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:01:17 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Late MiG-3 Camouflage  (Read 4721 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: July 13, 2010, 02:40:15 AM »

Here's a very useful image which was created and posted on another forum by Konstantin Lesnikov:

This shows the use of metal and non-metal paints on the early MiG-3. I'd like to try this, but there's a catch. I want to use the HobbyBoss 1/72 late MiG-3, without going through the task of changing the details to convert it to an early MiG-3. I've checked numerous sources, but I haven't been able to find a photo of a late MiG-3 with the solid green upper surface camouflage, except for a couple of profiles in Massimo's book showing aircraft with no individual markings, only red stars. So the question is this: Can anyone provide a photo of a late MiG-3 in the early solid green (not green and black) upper surface camouflage which includes an individual aircraft number? Thanks very much in advance!

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2010, 07:37:11 AM »

Hi John,
I've never seen such a photo, and suppose that the change in production type of miG-3 was contemporary or successive to the adoption of the new camouflage.

Profiles of mine in early style painting... which one? I suppose that they are later repaintings with AMT colors, no trace of different shades between wood and metal.
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2010, 01:37:17 AM »

My apologies, Massimo - the one I was thinking of is at the bottom of page 103 of your book. I was looking too quickly for late MiG-3's in the early scheme, and didn't read the caption, which clearly says that this aircraft was probably painted in AMT colours. I'm sorry!  Embarrassed

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2010, 08:21:25 AM »

Hi John,
no need to apologize. I'm displeased that you can't find what you are looking for.
Converting HB  late MiG-3 into an early one would require  the availability of some more exhaust stacks and a hard work on the sold plastic of the fuselage sides.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: