Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
British 60lb rockets on Hurricane
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 09:46:47 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: British 60lb rockets on Hurricane  (Read 9158 times)
Lend-Lease fan

« on: September 08, 2010, 05:49:26 PM »

My first (but certainly not my last), post here gents. I?m preparing to build a 1:24 Hurricane Mk IV (minor conversion), in Russian markings. I?m absolutely sure I saw a photo at one time that was of an aircraft (Hurricane), in Russian markings carrying British 60 lb rockets, not Russian rockets/rails. My question is this; can anyone confirm or deny the likelihood of the Russians using British rockets on the Hurricane during WWII, however briefly?

Thanks a bunch,
Kevin
marluc

« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2010, 10:42:28 PM »

Hello Kevin:

Welcome to the forum,I?m a "Lend-Lease fan" myself.Regarding your question,as far as I can remember I?ve never seen a photo of a soviet Hurricane with british rockets,not even a mention of this kind of weapon in soviet service;anyway I?m not denying it.Sorry I can?t be of help,greetings.

Martin
Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 12:11:55 AM »

Hello Kevin:

Welcome to the forum,I?m a "Lend-Lease fan" myself.Regarding your question,as far as I can remember I?ve never seen a photo of a soviet Hurricane with british rockets,not even a mention of this kind of weapon in soviet service;anyway I?m not denying it.Sorry I can?t be of help,greetings.

Martin
Thanks for the input Martin. The photo I had seen (in one of my books), was certainly carrying British rockets if memory serves correctly, but I can?t remember what book I saw it in. So much for my memory! In almost all instances that I?m aware of, whatever weaponry was loaned/leased to the Russians certainly was supplied with corresponding ammo. I realize all too well that the Russians in time replaced a lot of those aircraft weapons with their own, including rockets, but it makes sense that the Mk IV in particular would have received a few hundred or even thousand rockets for it. I have literally dozens of books on the Hurricane, and so far can?t verify what I want to do is historically accurate.

You just know that once I build it this way (using donated rockets from the 1:24 Airfix Mosquito), that some ?know it all expert? will claim it never happened and that?s precisely what I?m trying to avoid. The reason I believe they were British weapons is that they protruded from the wing LE. Russian rails, in all the photos I?ve ever seen, seem to be considerably shorter.

I guess I just need to get off my dead rear end and hunt through my books until I find that picture again.

Still, all thoughts/advice/input is more than welcome. Sorry to be so long winded.

Kevin
KL

« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2010, 05:09:18 AM »

You probably remember Yugoslav Hurricanes Mk IV. Those were armed with 8 HVAR rockets and had markings with red stars!!!

Nice model here:
http://www.hyperscale.com/2010/galleries/hurricanmkiv72ss_1.htm

Cheers,
KL
Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #4 on: September 11, 2010, 04:04:58 PM »

Now that is a distinct possibility, and one that I had not even considered. I hope that when/if I ever find that photo again that it does indeed turn out to be Russian though, as that?s what I really want to do my model as. Of course since it?s my model I suppose I can do whatever I want, but I?d still prefer to be historically accurate. I?ll keep digging through my mountain of reference. Did the Yugoslav air force ever white wash their planes? Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.

Kevin
TISO

« Reply #5 on: September 12, 2010, 08:34:04 PM »

Did the Yugoslav air force ever white wash their planes? Thanks for the input, I appreciate it.
No, they didn't.

Disciple of Error
Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2010, 05:20:04 PM »

Thanks for that. Then the photo I saw must have been Russian. If I ever find that picture again, I?ll be sure to post it.

Regards,
Kevin
Troy Smith

« Reply #7 on: September 24, 2010, 10:25:37 AM »

Hello Kevin:

Martin
Thanks for the input Martin. The photo I had seen (in one of my books), was certainly carrying British rockets if memory serves correctly, but I can?t remember what book I saw it in. So much for my memory! In almost all instances that I?m aware of, whatever weaponry was loaned/leased to the Russians certainly was supplied with corresponding ammo. I realize all too well that the Russians in time replaced a lot of those aircraft weapons with their own, including rockets, but it makes sense that the Mk IV in particular would have received a few hundred or even thousand rockets for it. I have literally dozens of books on the Hurricane, and so far can?t verify what I want to do is historically accurate.

You just know that once I build it this way (using donated rockets from the 1:24 Airfix Mosquito), that some ?know it all expert? will claim it never happened and that?s precisely what I?m trying to avoid. The reason I believe they were British weapons is that they protruded from the wing LE. Russian rails, in all the photos I?ve ever seen, seem to be considerably shorter.

I guess I just need to get off my dead rear end and hunt through my books until I find that picture again.

Still, all thoughts/advice/input is more than welcome. Sorry to be so long winded.

Kevin

Hi Kevin

the only pic I know of winter finish and rockets  is this (maybe another, but again IIB with Russian rockets)

Not many Hurricane IV's were supplied to the VVS, and it was not always used with rockets, the point of the MkIV was what was originally the "E" wing, which could carry rockets, 40mm guns, drop tanks or bomb racks.
So they may well not have ever been supplied with the 60lb rocket.  Given the VVS already had rockets, and the slowness for new technology to be supplied lend lease, I would nit be surprised even if the VVS got the rockets they would have not been used on the Hurricane, which was an inferior ground attack plane compared to the IL2.  

I only know of one photo of  VVS  "IID"  KX 248, bort 21  I assume someone has checked the serial.  

But then even pics of IIC are very rare in VVS service.  I can't check more references at the moment as not at home.

one good thing, been in touch with the place in the US restoring AM274, which is still fitted with the VVS mountings for ShVak and UB guns, the people said they'd send me some pics.

one interesting observation "when the russians installed there guns they took a hammer and beat the holes in the spars twice the size of the 303. very rough work."

HTH
T

marluc

« Reply #8 on: September 25, 2010, 12:50:02 AM »

Hello Troy:

Welcome to the forum.I was wondering that I?ve never seen a photo of a Mk.IV in soviet service,and I agree with your point of view regarding the use of said rockets.

one good thing, been in touch with the place in the US restoring AM274, which is still fitted with the VVS mountings for ShVak and UB guns, the people said they'd send me some pics.
It would be very interesting to see these photos.
Greetings.

Martin
Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #9 on: September 25, 2010, 02:41:05 AM »

I appreciate all the input fellas. It?s looking more and more like maybe it was a misinterpretation on my part. Sure wish I could find that picture, one way or the other.
Apex1701

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2010, 05:44:30 PM »

Hi Lend-lease fan,

A lot of infos on Soviet Hurris can be found here:
http://forum.12oclockhigh.net/showthread.php?t=7289

It's a rewriting of Red Stars Vol.4 - Lend-lease aircraft in Russia chapter on Hurricanes.
Unfortunately there's no pics.

As for myself I'm about to start a Mk IId with the Revell IIc kit plus, some resin and leftovers of my Monogram Hurricane built 40 years ago !!

Jean
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: