Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-1 "Outlined Red 37"
Sovietwarplanes
April 28, 2024, 10:44:37 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-1 "Outlined Red 37"  (Read 4139 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: September 08, 2010, 11:01:29 PM »

Here are three images of a Yak-1 with the identification number 37, probably in red, outlined in white or aluminum. I'm curious to know what others think about the camouflage pattern. The division between AMT-4 Green and AMT-6 Black is not visible in the photos, and yet I have never seen any documentation of Yak-1 aircraft being painted in the earlier AII Green-only topside camouflage. It may just be the quality of the photos or the type of film used - other photos exist of different aircraft where the Green/Black camouflage is very obvious. This is a later version of Yak-1, by the way - in one photo, the triangular windows behind the pilot's seat are just barely visible:

John
mholly

« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 06:30:35 AM »

If I'm correct quite a few Yak-1s were manufactured before GPW started. AIIZ top AII Blue bottom was the standard at that time for mixed construction a/c. Seeing Germans in the 3rd pic this a/c can be example of this camo before "green-black" camo directive was implemented. Re outlines I wouldn't dare judging from those pix but both white and silver are probable.
Cheers,
Mario
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 07:58:00 AM »

Hi John and Mario,
if this is a late production Yak-1, I would exclude that it was painted before the war outbreak.
I suppose that this photo was taken in early 1942, and this is a ex-winter-camouflaged plane repainted with a layer of green. White paint was supposed washable, but probably this was not so easy, or they had to use normal white paint lacking of washable paint. The white color visible both around the star, the number and on canopy frames suggests a quick work. Some trace of green brush strokes looks visible on the lower frame of the sliding hood too.
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: