Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hurricane IIc in VVS
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 06:40:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hurricane IIc in VVS  (Read 43040 times)
marluc

« Reply #30 on: September 30, 2010, 03:38:46 PM »

Hello:

...but since we're talking about the Hurricane - do you have any pictures of the two-seater courier/artillery spotter Hurricane?  That's one I've always fancied doing.
Learstang,you can find what youre looking for in this link:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/hurricane2seat/2seat%20in%20service/2seathurricane.htm

Troy,thanks a lot for your research,I can see we have a similar taste for VVS Huriicanes as you show many of the pictures that I?m interested.

Regarding Mk.IIc?s...
Indeed a IIC, but look at the sky, deep blue, and the pilots uniform, looks at least warm!  It is a winter schme in spring it's remarkably pristine!
I think this is a another desert finish plane, note how this looks like a factory applied paint job, not a roughly applied winter finish.
I did wonder if was in front of an RAF plane, but there looks to be a star painted on.
Yes,it?s not winter season at all.Despite the fact that the paint is not worn and looks like factory applied,I don?t think this Hurri is painted in a desert scheme because the contrast between both colours is too high.I?ve seen photos of desert Hurricanes and the difference between Dark Earth and Middlestone is not that high.I could be that the white paint was well applied and lasted till the spring season.
Behind the point of the red star (right lower corner of the picture) is what looks like te overpainting of the RAF roundel.

...note also same pilot, and I presume, plane. At first I thought of winter finish, but look at the minimal panel wear.
You make me notice it,is the same pilot and plane.I?m still thinking the colour is white because is too light to be Dark Earth.

Regarding the other pictures (that are not of MkIIc?s),I?ll make a new thread with my comments because you?ve found many interesting features.
Greetings.

Martin
« Last Edit: September 30, 2010, 03:47:35 PM by marluc » Logged
learstang

« Reply #31 on: September 30, 2010, 05:31:57 PM »

Thank you for the link, Martin!  And on this very site.

Regards,

Learstang

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #32 on: October 01, 2010, 08:05:22 PM »

Hello:

...but since we're talking about the Hurricane - do you have any pictures of the two-seater courier/artillery spotter Hurricane?  That's one I've always fancied doing.
Learstang,you can find what youre looking for in this link:
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/lendlease/hurricane2seat/2seat%20in%20service/2seathurricane.htm

Troy,thanks a lot for your research,I can see we have a similar taste for VVS Huriicanes as you show many of the pictures that I?m interested.

Regarding Mk.IIc?s...
Indeed a IIC, but look at the sky, deep blue, and the pilots uniform, looks at least warm!  It is a winter scheme in spring it's remarkably pristine!
I think this is a another desert finish plane, note how this looks like a factory applied paint job, not a roughly applied winter finish.
I did wonder if was in front of an RAF plane, but there looks to be a star painted on.
Yes,it?s not winter season at all.Despite the fact that the paint is not worn and looks like factory applied,I don?t think this Hurri is painted in a desert scheme because the contrast between both colours is too high.I?ve seen photos of desert Hurricanes and the difference between Dark Earth and Middlestone is not that high.I could be that the white paint was well applied and lasted till the spring season.
Behind the point of the red star (right lower corner of the picture) is what looks like the overpainting of the RAF roundel.

...note also same pilot, and I presume, plane. At first I thought of winter finish, but look at the minimal panel wear.
You make me notice it,is the same pilot and plane.I?m still thinking the colour is white because is too light to be Dark Earth.

The light colour would not be dark earth, but middlestone, and is in the area that would be dark green. The darker colour would be dark earth. 
the appearance can vary depending on light, weathering and camera filters.  Like this below. Note that the roundels are dark, and the colour of trees and fields below. Also note replaced panel beneath cockpit from non- desert finished plane. 

and in the desert. The colours did bleach out.

I just think the application is too neat and tidy, say compared to these.  Note AFAIK these are the only pictures I have seen of winter camouflaged VVS Hurricanes.  (or any Hurricane, the only mainly white ones I now are Sea Hurricanes in an Anti Submarine scheme)

Regarding the other pictures (that are not of MkIIc?s),I?ll make a new thread with my comments because you?ve found many interesting features.
Greetings.

Martin

look forward to this.  Check my posting on the 2 seater you link too above, as this got discussed on Hyperscale a while back, made some comments on this which I will post here.

cheers
Troy
learstang

« Reply #33 on: October 02, 2010, 12:49:16 AM »

Interesting pictures of Hurricanes with the winter camouflage and the Soviet armament (2 ShVAK's and 2 UBS's).  I might have to add these to my to-do list of VVS planes.

Regards,

Learstang

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
marluc

« Reply #34 on: October 02, 2010, 06:35:50 AM »

Hello Troy:

Great presentation and good research.

...the appearance can vary depending on light, weathering and camera filters.  Like this below. Note that the roundels are dark, and the colour of trees and fields below. Also note replaced panel beneath cockpit from non- desert finished plane.
 I agree,the appearance can vary a lot;but at least to my eyes,the desert finished Hurricane shows a low contrast between the upper colours,just the opposite of what can be seen in the picture of the VVS MkIIc.

I just think the application is too neat and tidy, say compared to these.  Note AFAIK these are the only pictures I have seen of winter camouflaged VVS Hurricanes. 
I?ve been thinking that perhaps,it looks neat and tidy because the light reflection on the white made it too bright for the camera to show the wear of the winter finish.

Photos of another white Hurricane:

It?s really hard to make an accurate interpretation of an aircraft?s colour scheme from a black and white picture.I think that your interpretation of a desert MkIIc in soviet markings is a good possibility.
Thanks for sharing your point of view,greetings.

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #35 on: November 11, 2010, 11:33:58 PM »

New 1/72 VVS Hurricane decals from Authentic:

http://www.modelimex.com/detail/decals/1-72/1-72-hawker-hurricane-iib-in-the-russian-sky

John
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: