Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Colour Selection Site
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 02:01:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Colour Selection Site  (Read 5127 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: December 07, 2010, 07:16:21 PM »

This site is supposed to be able to help you select a specific paint colour from any image; say, for example, a colour photo of a Normandie Niemen Yak-3, or even just a paint chip. The site seems to be still in the developmental stage; I tried doing a quick test with the image of the Republic A-10 that's posted there and got an error message which suggested that it only works with Firefox and Opera browsers (so far, I assume). Anyway, at some point it might be useful, I suppose, although I suspect it also has the possibility to make colour discussions even more confused:
http://scalemodeldb.com/paint

I also tried uploading an Akan colour chip from my hard drive; the upload worked fine, but once again I got the same error message when I tried to check for a colour match. This site doesn't work with Internet Explorer? Wait until Bill finds out... Wink

John
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:26:36 PM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2010, 07:30:51 PM »

Interesting, John, I just saw that site just now on LSP.  I'm going to be trying to match my VVS colours with actual paints.  It looks great - we'll see how it works.  I got the same error message, so it apparently doesn't work with Explorer.  I'll try it with Firefox and report the results.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:32:26 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2010, 07:45:24 PM »

Well, John, I got into Firefox and it works up a treat (although it doesn't seem to like .bmp files - probably too big)!  And it confirms what I already knew, Soviet colours are a bear (pun intended) to match properly.  Still, it's another tool to try and match up colours, and anything that helps is a good thing.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: December 07, 2010, 07:54:41 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2010, 01:01:34 AM »

If it really works properly, maybe at some point a cross-reference table could be created to match various brands of paint with the Akan colour chips, since the original source (Albom Nakrasok) is not available. This would be helpful to those who do not have access to the Akan paints.

John
learstang

« Reply #4 on: December 08, 2010, 02:04:03 AM »

If it really works properly, maybe at some point a cross-reference table could be created to match various brands of paint with the Akan colour chips, since the original source (Albom Nakrasok) is not available. This would be helpful to those who do not have access to the Akan paints.

John

That may take some doing, as it seems you have to fiddle around a bit with the colour pipper on the left to get the correct colour - although the problem may be my camera isn't registering the colours exactly as I see them with my eye.  The colours may also get scrambled a bit whilst uploading.  Having to use JPEG files instead of the truer(?) BMP files probably doesn't help either.  Still, this is an interesting tool and it would be nice to have an accurate colour table, where everything is cross-referenced with everything else.  Then of course the problem is what people are seeing on their monitors will differ from computer to computer.  Oh well, you didn't say it would be easy!  You've probably seen these, but people have tried to do this on other sites - http://www.ipmsstockholm.org/colorcharts/stuff_eng_colorcharts_soviet.htm, and this one - http://www.cybermodeler.com/color/vvs_comp.shtml.  I think we can do better; for one thing, we shouldn't use Mr. Pilawskii's work as the starting point, which both these charts seem to be doing.

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 06:08:38 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: December 08, 2010, 09:29:12 AM »

Hi John and Jason,
I've seen this site. It works properly with Firefox.
The software, in itself, looks well made.
The weak point is the same of all the similar sites: the colors are altered in passing from the real paint to the digital form.
I have compared the visual appearance of some colors between the screen and a FS-595a catalogue, and wasn't satisfied. Well, it could be fault of my screen, but who knows which screen is right?
Nothing assures that the settings of the scanner, that is largely automatic, has remained the same.
Even assuming the internal coherence of its color database, (that could be checked by comparing the colors on real chip catalogues), none assures that the settings are the same of the scanner utilized to scan our chips.
A better way could be to ask Mr. Akanihin to send chips of all his pants to the owner of the site, so they would be scanned by the same procedure and compared in automatic way.
Well, I think that one could try to utilize this histrument to create a comparson table, but the results should be checked with real chips.
This could be good to decide if this site gives reliable results; in this case, it could be trusted for future works.
But, in my idea, testing the results is even more troublesome than to make a comparison table comparing chips.
The human eye is more able than a scanner to compensate the effect of different settings, light and reflections.
The base problem is to find reliable chips of the real color.

Regards,
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #6 on: December 08, 2010, 06:13:42 PM »

You are correct of course, Massimo.  Anything would need to be checked against real paint chips to ensure accuracy.  Still, that site has a nice tool to play around with.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: