Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
I-301. The devil is in the details.
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:40:34 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: I-301. The devil is in the details.  (Read 5733 times)
Ioaea

« on: May 06, 2006, 04:26:27 AM »

Massimo --put your creative/pensive hat on for us once more, if you could, and riddle me this please.

Your interpretation of the I-301 which you provided a while ago. Your original 'scarlet' schemed prototype reveals a hint of bulged farings on the cowling, and yet your article on the LaGG kits instructs us to remove these bulges if we want to continue our HATE affair  Cry with red enamel and go for an I-301 model. I'm using the Toko LaGG as a source and have removed the bulges entirely on part 4 as suggested (for early config)-- would you say this is correct to do so?

The few I-301 photos out there are indistinct, really, in this respect.

Your advice is sought if you please.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2006, 02:05:18 PM »

Hi Ioaea, Smiley
I think that you are writing about the bulges of ShKAS. The first prototype of I-301 was at first built with a 23 mm MP-6 gun in the prop axis and two UBS 12,7 mm synchronized mg, then, in a second time, two ShKAS with relative bulges were added.
I think that I'll draw a pair of profiles of this bird, but I have your same photos and it don't worth you wait for them.
I'll have to modify thap page to write that bulges can be left on the nose of I-301, if one wants.
I hope to see photos of your work soon.
Massimo
Ioaea

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2006, 01:46:15 AM »

So it's perfectly acceptable to merely open up apertures for the twin UBS only, filling in the apertures for the (non-existent) ShKAS, for the very first prototype? That's great.

Another thing that's a minor irritation are the rear plexiglass 'windows'. It's tempting to look at your profile and the photos, and fill in the area behind each window with plastic card, the result of which is not unlike behind the seat of a Curtiss P-40. Or, again, is this indistinct photography, would you say?

Ok, I'll post up a snapshot of my cowling for your comments, sometime tomorrow.

Thanks, Massimo.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2006, 07:10:45 AM »

Hi Ioaea, Smiley
this is an interesting point. Thank for the question.
Looking at photos, I see that most LaGG-3s have not the trasparence betwen the rear windows.
In one photo, I think also to see the shape of a slightly incaved wall as on P-40. I think that there were two thin curved wood plates just inside the windows to prevent some internal reflection on the canopy.
La-5 can have the fully wall, a partial wall that let see a bottle (the back half of the windows is closed) or no wall at all.

Massimo
Ioaea

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »

Forget the photo. A sunset pic would have been nice, something to start the day with an 'ahhhh'. An image of the horse-head nebula stirs the soul; that would have been nice too. However, an image of a single piece of grey plastic would spoil our day, trust me.  Cry

So thus it was:

No ShVAK bulges and two curved wooden panels behind plexiglass. Fin.

Have a happy Sunday, Massimo and fellow forumites.

« Last Edit: May 07, 2006, 11:51:16 AM by Ioaea » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2006, 10:39:34 PM »

Hi, Smiley
horse-head nebula? Original...
Thanks for your wishes
Massimo
Ioaea

« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2006, 01:35:03 AM »

It is original -or at least a one-off phenomenon in our vicinity.

Enjoy.

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: