Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Kopro Twin La 5FN
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 08:28:23 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Kopro Twin La 5FN  (Read 9342 times)
Graham Boak

« on: November 26, 2010, 05:18:47 PM »

Hannants are now advertising a twin boxing of the old but fairly good Kp La 5FN, with added resin (and etch set?) for ?5.99.  Seems very good value - shame I haven't yet finished the ones I've already got.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: November 26, 2010, 10:17:46 PM »

Hannants are now advertising a twin boxing of the old but fairly good Kp La 5FN, with added resin (and etch set?) for ?5.99.  Seems very good value - shame I haven't yet finished the ones I've already got.

Interesting - do you have a link? This must be the double kit that Avalon was working on about three years ago, but was never released - see this thread:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=326.0

Here's a photo from the 2007 (?) Nuremberg show in which you can see what was intended at that time:

Maybe he's finally "getting some traction", now that KP is back in operation under new ownership!

By the way - there is, or was, also a Bilek double La-5FN kit which I believe gave you two of the old Zvezda 1/72 kit, and should therefore be avoided:
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=765.0

Thanks, Graham - this is good news! Maybe Avalon is back in business, and will be going ahead with some new decal sheets that he was working on at the same time!

John

Edit - seek and ye shall find...
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/KP3185
« Last Edit: November 26, 2010, 11:00:48 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2010, 04:59:46 PM »

Hi John,
the kit is sold for about 23 ? in Italy. Who knows if it's a special offer by Hannants or an error?
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #3 on: January 19, 2011, 10:20:53 PM »

Hannants are still advertising it at the low price (OK, up to ?6.12), and I have succumbed.  When it comes I'll tell you what it contains.  The box art advertised is the same as shown in the thread.
learstang

« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2011, 12:52:11 AM »

Hannants are still advertising it at the low price (OK, up to ?6.12), and I have succumbed.  When it comes I'll tell you what it contains.  The box art advertised is the same as shown in the thread.

Good news indeed, Graham!  I built the KP La-5FN many years ago and I did a rather nice job by my standards, with the completely wrong paint scheme!  Back in those bygone days I actually believed instructions when they told me to paint every VVS plane in dark brown/green.  As a matter of fact, I did "White 69", the plane shown on the box, although the box now has the correct two-grey scheme.  With this twin kit, I might be now be able to finish it in the correct colours.  I can't recall right off hand if any of the 'FN's were painted in the black/green camouflage.  That would be nice to do the other plane in (if it's an accurate paint scheme).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Graham Boak

« Reply #5 on: January 20, 2011, 05:05:46 PM »

It should be a fairly easy mode to an earlier La5F with the "bump" on top of the cowling, and I suspect (without checking) that it would have an earlier scheme.  I now need three schemes.....but  I can always do one Czech to make a difference.
learstang

« Reply #6 on: January 20, 2011, 06:07:17 PM »

Graham, I do have at least one profile of an La-5F with the black/green scheme (with the decals), so I could backdate one of the 'FN's to the F and do it in that scheme.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: January 20, 2011, 08:24:03 PM »

Hi,
I've only this photo of an operative FN with black/green camo.
I suppose that the nose and spinner are red, but I'm not sure.

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #8 on: January 21, 2011, 02:32:32 AM »

Thank you very much, Massimo!  That's the first one I've seen.  If I can reasonably reconstruct the rest of the camouflage I might do this 'plane.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #9 on: January 21, 2011, 02:47:58 AM »

Now that I look at it Massimo, I think the cowling and spinner were painted in yellow.  We all know how the Soviets constantly painted the noses of their 'planes yellow so they'd be confused with Axis aircraft. Wink  Funny how on the Ostfront the Nazis never seemed to paint the noses of their 'planes red.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: January 21, 2011, 06:28:45 AM »

Hi Jason,
the black/green camo of La-5 and mid production LaGG-3 was fully standardized. You can follow the drawings of La-5 of Eskadrilya Chkalow on my page.

I've tried to see if the color of the nose is identical to the stars by comparing the contrast to the green bands, but the answer is uncertain, it looks slightly lighter. Another possibility is light plue, possibly the same of undersurfaces.
Unfortunately I haven't samples of how yellow is reproduced on this film, but Pokhryshkin wrote that he fired on all what had a yellow nose... in facts, his first victory was on a Su-2. Smiley

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #11 on: January 21, 2011, 07:23:44 AM »

Thank you again, Massimo!  I'll take a look at your La-5 schemes to get an appropriate black/green scheme.  I'm not surprised about Pokryshkin - if I were in combat, especially if I were a young pilot, I would have shot at anything with a yellow nose, and asked questions later.  That's why I think the usage of yellow on VVS aircraft, especially in the nose region, must have been rather limited, to reduce the risk of "friendly fire" (although if someone's lobbing 20mm cannon shells at me, I hardly consider that very friendly!).

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: January 21, 2011, 07:38:30 AM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
Walker

« Reply #12 on: January 21, 2011, 12:51:08 PM »

Nose of the La 5FN red. Looks brighter because the hood has a fillet and flare play. In yellow hoods in Red Army Air Force is not being painted. Because the yellow identification mark Luftwaffe.
Graham Boak

« Reply #13 on: January 21, 2011, 02:07:14 PM »

Kit arrived today - good service. Two plastic bags each with KP kit.  The transfer sheet in each is described as Czechoslovak pilots copyright 2007.  A complete set of Czech markings and eight red stars.  Two complete sets of red-outlined white numbers plus one only of 69, 58 and 23, the last just in white.  Plus a pair of arrows/lightning flashes and oddments.  I find it slightly odd getting the 69 and 58 which can be made from the others, and if you want to do 23 you need both sheets - no problem here, of course. There's a four page KOPRO instruction sheet plus a single page for the Twins resin and etch.  A plastic bag contains two sets of resin parts, mainly an entire replacement cockpit, sides and all, plus wheels.  A single etch sheet contains wheel doors, torque links, cockpit and engine details, plus parts for the oil cooler: enough for the two kits.  Plus a six page stiff paper instruction sheet in colour showing camouflage and markings for a generic La.5FN plus 12 individual aircraft - the 12th being 23 in postwar grey with the Czech markings.

Excellent value - though most of the cockpit stuff is wasted on me, I can't complain of it having driven up the price!
« Last Edit: January 22, 2011, 01:00:42 AM by Graham Boak » Logged
learstang

« Reply #14 on: January 21, 2011, 06:35:48 PM »

Sounds brilliant, Graham, thank you for the update!  I'll have to get me that set now.  Thank you also for the information, Musa!  I've always regarded reconstructions of Soviet GPW aircraft with yellow spinners and/or noses with a considerable amount of skepticism because as you mention yellow was the Luftwaffe identification colour.  Why any pilot would risk the chance of friendly fire is beyond me.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: