Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
spit IX uti
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 03:39:22 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: spit IX uti  (Read 7279 times)
-spokito-

« on: April 21, 2011, 02:23:56 PM »

hi everybody,

i'm looking for inside drawing of soviet spit IX uti.
i would like to modifie a standard mk IX ICM 48? kit into a two seater version.

this subject have already discused here  ?

regards

francis
Troy Smith

« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2011, 11:59:24 PM »

hi everybody,

i'm looking for inside drawing of soviet spit IX uti.
i would like to modifie a standard mk IX ICM 48? kit into a two seater version.

this subject have already discused here  ?

regards

francis
Hi Francis

I have never seen any info on the inside, I have only seen pictures of the outside.
I suggest looking for info on one of the British post war conversions, as that's probably going to be basically the same.

I have only seen film of the inside of the "Grace Spitfire" which is a post war British conversion still flying, owned by Carolyn Grace. I ends up on TV quite often in the UK, you could try youtube (this computer is too slow to run youtube or I'd search for you)

There is a two seater conversion kit for an Irish Air Corps version but it's pretty expensive and the rear canopy is different.
http://www.hannants.co.uk/product/BRIG4801

do you need details on recommended upgrades for the ICM Spitfire?

cheers
T
-spokito-

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2011, 07:15:07 AM »

hello troy, thanks for this informations.
concerning the upgrades, my pleasure is trying to do it myself.....if 1 can !
and if i cannot do, i have a look on what is possible to have.
i've no idea whats is possible to have for this conversion today and if no photos or drawing is aviable in the case of VVS UTIs, is it opportunate to believe in it ?

if i start with "nothing", exept 2 or 3 photos that we find on the NET, i will just do something basic inside and i'll do it in fly with two lucky guys inside.

what do think about the color ? A-24 M ? looks very dark on photos ..

marluc

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2011, 01:08:44 PM »

Hello Francis:

I think that I can help you as I?ve started a similar conversion many years ago but didn?t finish it yet.You can see the first steps here: http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=643.0
As there?s no photo of the cockpit interior,I made my own guess for the back seat post.But if you want to make it in flight,you won?t need to worry about the interior.

For the conversion,first of all,I modified a 1/48 scale plan of the Spitfire using the only photo I had at that moment as a reference,this one:

This UTI could have been modified from a Spitfire Mk.IXc,as it had the rounded rudder and a not-clipped wing.I think that the colour is AMT-4 all around.
Hope it helps,greetings.

Martin
-spokito-

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2011, 03:33:32 PM »

hello marluc
i note the amt-4 everywhere
thank you for the link. nice photos of a good start . why did you stopped the bilding ?
to much boxes open ?
Troy Smith

« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2011, 06:58:41 PM »

[quote ]
This UTI could have been modified from a Spitfire Mk.IXc,as it had the rounded rudder and a not-clipped wing.I think that the colour is AMT-4 all around.
Hope it helps,greetings.

Martin
[/quote]

Spitfire note, could be a C or E wing, later Spitfire IX had the pointed rudder, but it is not tied to the wing being a C or E.

In fact the C wing could be fitted with the E armament arrangement, which was happening around D-Day IIRC.
The specific E wing has the cannon bulge in the outer position.

Same with the wing tip, they could be changed. The clipped tip was used on low level versions to increase roll rate and they didn't need the extra lift.
There is also the extended tips fitted to the VII and some VIII's.

I don't if the VVS even got E wing spitfires though. 

if you have not checked it this will be of use http://spitfiresite.com/

Variant details
http://spitfiresite.com/category/50-reference/variants-technology

There is a profile drawing of the Spit UTU in Red Stars 1, PDF's of this long out of print book are easily available if you search.

Try asking on Hyperscale or Britmodeller for pictures of the 2nd spit seat.....In fact I'll ask on BM now

more later
T

marluc

« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2011, 12:25:09 AM »

Hello Troy:

Thanks for the good information.

In fact the C wing could be fitted with the E armament arrangement, which was happening around D-Day IIRC.
I was not aware of this,but I knew that the kind of rudder was not tied to the type of wing.
At first,I identified the type of wing of the Spitfire UTI by the light bulb on the leading edge of the wingtip.But recently I discovered this picture of the same plane taken from a different angle,showing the wing.

The source is one of the Monografie Lotnicze about the Spitfire.

I don't if the VVS even got E wing spitfires though. 

if you have not checked it this will be of use http://spitfiresite.com/
As far as I know,most of the Spitfire Mk.IX that were sent to the URSS,had the clipped "e" wing and pointed rudder.And I already know the Spitfire Site,an excellent source of information for Spitfire followers.Thanks for pointing it out anyway.
The Spitire UTI photos are very scarce,I?ve seen another with pointed rudder but is of bad quality.

Hello spokito:

Quote from: -spokito-
why did you stopped the bilding ? to much boxes open ?
That?s right,this and the difficulty to build the translucent "tunnel" between the cockpits were the reasons.

Greetings to both of you.

Martin

Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: