Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/24 VVS Hurrricane
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:58:53 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/24 VVS Hurrricane  (Read 11864 times)
Lend-Lease fan

« on: December 14, 2010, 09:59:27 PM »

I've decided it's time to finally rock & roll on my 1:24 VVS Hurricane MK IV, (converted from the IID), Trumpeter kit. This project will be as much OOB as possible, with the exception of some cockpit embellishments, Russian rockets/rails, and a rebuild of radiator housing. I anticipate an all winter effort to get this thing done by next September. This project may or may not reflect reality, but should be representative of the "spirit" of WWII VVS aircraft, (I hope).

The Kit

Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 10:06:47 PM »

I?ve developed the rather time consuming habit of scanning book covers as a means to track documentation I have available for a particular subject. Here?s a screen capture of some of the references I?ll be referring to throughout this project.

Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2010, 10:08:28 PM »

This the aforementioned ?spirit? I?m after. (I have no idea what's wrong with the prop in this picture!)

« Last Edit: December 14, 2010, 10:13:42 PM by Lend-Lease fan » Logged
Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2010, 10:10:56 PM »

No matter how you slice it, this model is large!

Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2010, 10:14:40 PM »

Wing assembled, and awaiting installation.

Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2010, 10:16:29 PM »

I?ve begun the process of ?helping out? the man pit.

learstang

« Reply #6 on: December 15, 2010, 12:32:16 AM »

Good work so far, Lend-Lease fan!  Are you going to do the model with the Soviet armament - the 20mm cannon and .50 calibre machine gun in each wing?  This should be an interesting build - good luck!

Regards,

Learstang

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
marluc

« Reply #7 on: December 15, 2010, 03:06:07 AM »

It?s great to see a WIP of a VVS Hurricane,you?ve done a fine work on the left side of the cockpit interior.Looking forward for more pictures of your progress,greetings.

Martin
Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #8 on: December 15, 2010, 08:04:30 PM »

Good work so far, Lend-Lease fan!  Are you going to do the model with the Soviet armament - the 20mm cannon and .50 calibre machine gun in each wing?  This should be an interesting build - good luck!

Regards,

Learstang
I have no idea at this point. The information I have specifically on Lend-Lease aircraft is very limited, to say the least.
Troy Smith

« Reply #9 on: December 18, 2010, 05:54:14 PM »

HI

the VVS installed armament was AFAIK only installed on IIB type Hurricanes (and probably also IIA)
I have a load of pics of a IIB undergoing restoration of a VVS rearmed IIB, but not got around to sorting out the details (due to them being on another computer) but these show the VVS installed mounting bars added to the original gun bays.
I did post drawings of the external appearance in another thread though, here.
http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=881.0

If you are doing it as MkIV though, you'll need to change the wing panels and add a deeper armored radiator.(which you note) A long out of print book on the Hurricane (Hawker Hurricane, classic aircraft no.4, their history and how to model them, from the mid 70's about the 1/24th Airfix kit, yes, can scan drawings when I get chance, but book and and scanner are not here...the only bit you need is the radiator really)

had  drawings of the radiator, and what I assume the the IID wing, from the pics i got sent from the Hurricane IV in Belgrade below. 

I don't know that any of the references listed actually show a MkIV wing....well, not that match the photos!

There are a couple of threads going on Britmodeller regarding the MKIID and MKIV, and this will show what I mean, you would think this was an easy question to answer!

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=59225

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=57739

Here's some relevant information. (from the BM thread by me)

well, I emailed Tomo from the page you linked too, and asked if he had any pics of the upper wing, and he very kindly emailed some, and gave me permission to post them here as well.   

As i suspected, the MK IV has a different panel arrangement, I though two large panels between the spars like the IIC,  but looking at the pics closely, it seems it is one large panel in the outer position,(for the browning 0.303)and a metal strip not seen on the IIC on the outer edge.  And one smaller panel behind the main spar in the inner position, IIRC this was to access the breech of the 40mm gun when fitted.  Is the correct?

My next question is, did the IID have this panel layout, or did they just use a modified IIC wing?

note the blanked out landing light port next to yellow stripe, the 0.303 sighting gun port, and the blanked over inner port, which seems to show that the IV wing was based on a modified IIC wing.  (at the factory i should have added on original post)
The thing on the wing leading edge next to the joining strip is a camera gun port.

Note

from Tomislav's build, very useful underside detail, note metal plate, stubs for attaching 40 mm gun, and ejector slot for the 0.303 Browning sighting gun. 
Of note is the metal strip just by the shell ejector slot, in what looks like the same position as the one on the upper wing.
Are the little bumps further forward to do with positioning of the drop tanks?

Thanks to Tomislav for the photos and helping to answer to my question!

More  general point, the port side panel is an emergency escape hatch, not a door. I have occasionally seen pics of Hurricanes with this removed, though normally with a load of other panels open too. 
A better to remove is the one just below the cockpit, as it can show side detail and let light in so you can the rest of the inside.

Hurricanes are a bit of per subject for me, and there a few things I see in builds that irritate me, this panel being open, the other are dropped flaps, only down on the ground for servicing and scuffed paint showing metal under the cockpit, which is fabric covered plywood on the real thing.

The only pic of a "IID" is KX248 - bort 21, i say "IID" as more likely a MKIV, I have an old book listing KX247 as  tropical IV.   I will research further. (Graham Boak who posts here would most likely know)

good luck on your build, I hope this helps.

cheers
T

marluc

« Reply #10 on: December 18, 2010, 07:07:08 PM »

Thanks Troy for these very useful pictures.

...and there a few things I see in builds that irritate me, this panel being open...
Open as a door or just removed? I know the first option is wrong but the second is not,if there are wartime pictures showing this feature,why not doing it on a model?

...and scuffed paint showing metal under the cockpit, which is fabric covered plywood on the real thing.
Do you mean the panel just belllow the sliding hood rail on the left side?

Greetings.

Martin

Lend-Lease fan

« Reply #11 on: December 18, 2010, 07:38:50 PM »

WOW, it'll take me a while to digest all this. Thanks for the info Troy, I'll keep digging. I may have to just end up referring skeptics to my "Artistic License"!

Troy Smith

« Reply #12 on: December 18, 2010, 07:54:45 PM »

...and there a few things I see in builds that irritate me, this panel being open...
Open as a door or just removed? I know the first option is wrong but the second is not,if there are wartime pictures showing this feature,why not doing it on a model?

Well, the panel only got taken off for major servicing, it's very rare to see it taken off on photos otherwise.  My suggestion is the metal panel below, like

or the other side

From a model point of view it wil show side detail, and let light into the cockpit, showing off more detail.   You can open up a lot of panels on a Hurricane if you like scratchbuilding!

...and scuffed paint showing metal under the cockpit, which is fabric covered plywood on the real thing.
Do you mean the panel just belllow the sliding hood rail on the left side?

yes, all the cockpit decking is made out of plywood, covered in fabric and then doped on. The red doped bits below are the ply decking.

this link is the restoration of G-Hury , a MKIV (restored with IIC wings!?!?! don't know why...)

http://www.hawker-restorations-ltd.co.uk/_images/_completed/g-hury/hury.html

But lots of detail shots of the airframe.  Some early Hurricanes were certainly done in aluminium dope inside, some with Grey green.

Another question i'm not sure of....

Hawker Restorations are also restoring a a Yak 1 to flying condition...

http://www.hawker-restorations-ltd.co.uk/_images/_completed/yak1/yak1wing.html

LOTS of pics of the airframe!

cheers
Troy

marluc

« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2010, 12:56:46 PM »

Thanks Troy for the pictures and links,these are very useful for my future Hurricane projects.

yes, all the cockpit decking is made out of plywood, covered in fabric and then doped on. The red doped bits below are the ply decking.
This is new to me,I?ve allways thought these were metal panels.Greetings.

Martin
JP
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2011, 08:21:00 AM »

Ok, I'm gonna have to ask you to stop.  If you don't, I'm gonna end up buying one of those kits!   Smiley

NICE work so far.  Definitely keep posting updates.
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: