Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Best 1/72nd MBR-2?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:51:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Best 1/72nd MBR-2?  (Read 12515 times)
learstang

« Reply #15 on: January 06, 2011, 06:01:13 AM »

Great links, John!  I got some excellent photographs of the IL-2 (of course) from the second link.  It even has a picture of how the coolant tank is attached to the front of the engine - the first picture I've seen of this (I realise that's probably not too exciting for most people, but good stuff for me!).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: January 09, 2011, 01:43:23 AM »

I just noticed this thread on (as usual) Scalemodels.ru regarding the MBR-2bis, and building the 1/72 kit:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic.php?t=9314&postdays=0&postorder=asc&&start=0

I still haven't received mine, but I'm certainly looking forward to it.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2011, 04:48:06 AM »

I received my MBR-2bis a couple of days ago; it really is very good. It's too bad the company who originated it (Dnieper Model Group, or something like that) only produced this one kit and then went out of business.

Waiting for delivery of the MBR-2 must have turned my attention to Russian flying boats - something made me dig out my copy of the RPM 1/72 Beriev KOR-2/Be-4, and start building it. I really don't agree with the attitude of "Let's have a good laugh at this Soviet-era lump of plastic" - someone cared enough to attempt to produce a kit of this aircraft, and the end result is the reality we have to deal with. Yes, it has lots of flash on it, some of the small parts are crude, and the panel lines are very faint in places. Overall, though, the shapes are generally accurate, and it could be made into a good model of a very attractive aircraft. One problem I have found (and I hope this is limited to a very few examples of the kit) is that, on mine, at least, the white plastic from which the kit is molded has a strange dark-grey swirl mixed into it. This kind of appearance is not unusual on some limited-run kits (Skybirds86 comes to mind) and can be the result of using more than one colour of styrene without complete mixing before feeding the material into the molds. It isn't a problem in that case; however, once I started sanding, I discovered that the grey swirl isn't just a different colour of styrene, it's actually some kind of foreign material (grease? graphite?) mixed right into the styrene which causes the plastic to flake or shred wherever it's exposed. This will require some experimenting to find out how to get a good surface finish before painting, assuming I get that far. Anyway, I like this kit!!!

(Considering Amodel's enthusiasm for Russian GPW-era flying boats, I'm surprised they haven't done the Be-4, by the way. Maybe they will as soon as I finish the RPM one... Wink )

John
learstang

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2011, 05:22:15 AM »

I have the Be-4 kit someplace (I think), but as I recall I didn't have any problem with the plastic.  It was moulded in a typical dark green with no weird inclusions.  At any rate it'll be interesting to see how yours comes out - it's actually a rather handsome little plane, something like a monoplane Supermarine Sea Otter to these tired old eyes.  You're correct about Amodel - they should come out with the Be-4.  I have their ski-equipped Be-2, and it's a nice kit (with the usual Amodel caveat about being careful with the fit, although there's surprisingly little flash).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
GoNzA

« Reply #19 on: April 14, 2011, 03:59:16 AM »

Here there is an interesting work and many very good documents and photos МБР-2:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_29527_start_0.html

Best regards,
Anatoliy
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #20 on: April 14, 2011, 04:50:58 PM »

Here there is an interesting work and many very good documents and photos МБР-2:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_29527_start_0.html

Thanks, Anatoliy! It's an excellent thread, and I bookmarked it for future reference whenever I build this kit. I love Scalemodels.ru! Wink

John
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: