Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Preserved La-5F? Replica? Great Big Model?
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 09:47:55 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Preserved La-5F? Replica? Great Big Model?  (Read 4480 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: December 21, 2010, 06:55:04 PM »

In this thread on Scalemodels.ru, there's an image of what is apparently an intact La-5F suspended from the roof of a building. Does anyone among our Russian speakers know more about this aircraft? I believed that there are no remaining complete La-5 airframes anywhere:
http://scalemodels.ru/modules/forum/viewtopic_t_27544_start_20.html

Here's the image, for your convenience:

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2010, 01:33:10 PM »

Hi John,
I think that it's a big model. Making some proportion with lamps and other details, I think that it should be two meters wide.
regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2010, 06:56:09 PM »

Hi Massimo! Smiley Yes, the tailwheel looks like something from an office chair... I had big hopes, but I knew I would be disappointed! Wink

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2010, 07:22:06 AM »

Hi John,
it looks very well made, however. I think to see even the details inside the cooler.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2010, 02:15:28 AM »

Well, apparently the - whatever it is - is located at a museum at Vantaa in Finland. Someone else seems to have been curious about this on Scalemodels.ru; the answer included the link to this web page:
http://www.enlight.ru/camera/344/index.html

There's another photo about halfway down the page; the translated caption for this photo says:

"Aircraft Yak-1 (!). Inscription on top of the star: 'For Vaska and Zhora'.
In the background - a twin-engine plane DB-3.
Both types were widely used during the Russo-Finnish War, and dozens of them were captured by the Finns. In 1941 the Germans gave the Finns an additional amount of captured Soviet aircraft. As a result, several squadrons of the Finnish Air Force at war (admittedly, quite successfully) on a Soviet aircraft."

Possibly some very dedicated staff members or others connected with the museum built these as large-scale display models? It seems unlikely that an aircraft as large as the DB-3 is "real".

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: