Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lend-Lease P-40K
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:00:57 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Lend-Lease P-40K  (Read 41442 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: March 07, 2011, 07:21:34 AM »

Hi all,
I need any comment on these profiles. Are they right? Are there photos available?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Regards
Massimo

*Edited post subject line - JP*
« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:07:26 AM by JP » Logged
JP
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 07, 2011, 07:58:53 AM »

Oops!  You beat me to it.

Here is a little more info on the request.

I am settled in an undisclosed location and have secretly returned to modeling.  Currently under simultaneous construction are a 1/48 Hasegawa P-40E and AMT P-40K.  I have the internals of both aircraft completed, and have now chosen to proceed with the P-40K until it is finished.

For some curious reason ( Wink) I have chosen a Lend-Lease theme for the K (and probably the E, but that's later).  What I am working from are the two options from the Histoire & Collections monograph shown in the image Massimo posted.

I have been unable to find any good images of these aircraft.  Can anyone comment on their accuracy and if there are actual images of these airframes?  

For a teaser, here are images of the Hasegawa cockpit.

« Last Edit: March 07, 2011, 08:01:48 AM by JP » Logged
Troy Smith

« Reply #2 on: March 07, 2011, 09:41:17 PM »

Hi all,
I need any comment on these profiles. Are they right? Are there photos available?

Uploaded with ImageShack.us
Regards
Massimo

*Edited post subject line - JP*
HI

photos of both planes are in the compendium edition of "Red Stars" (contains some but not all the pics of Vol 1-3, with some other pics, Massimo has this book I believe)

bort 96 is shown middle pic on page 57, while red 26 is shown in starboard side profile (as opposed to the port side profile pic) plane looks overall white or aluminium finish.(note pale colour of underfuselage central bulge visible) 
the profiles do match the pics.

I can't scan here or i'd put them up.
I'll look through the pdf of the Red Stars and see what in those later.

cheers
T

marluc

« Reply #3 on: March 07, 2011, 10:41:57 PM »

Hi JP:

That is a nice cockpit interior,well done.Which colour did you use for the green?
I?ve seen 2 pictures of Red 26,one of them is this close up:

Hope it helps,greetings.

Martin
Troy Smith

« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2011, 11:59:55 PM »

I?ve seen 2 pictures of Red 26,one of them is this close up:

and this is the other....didn't even know I had it on this machine... Given the contrast on this and it's getting some sun  I'd be inclined to think it was a very thin caost of white, letting teh under colour 'bleed' through.

maybe better seen here, note very hard shadow of pilot, that's direct sunlight, and worn paint above rear windows.  It also seems the wing is still in OD, and the paint is worn thin on the nose.

here's '96' as well.  This is not the best scan.

if only we has a number for the sharkmouth in the background.....

anyone know about the RAF style camo P-40E's we see quite a few photos of?  i assume they are diverted from RAF orders?
cheers
T

learstang

« Reply #5 on: March 08, 2011, 12:22:55 AM »

For what it's worth I plan on doing the P-40K "Red 26" and based on the two photographs I'm going to paint it with a white fuselage and tail, but olive drab wings.  That's what it appears to be painted in to me.  I've seen a colour profile of it (multiple views) with the tail in OD also, but the one photograph disproves that.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: March 08, 2011, 01:33:30 AM »

Thanks for the responses and images.

Now that I've seen them, I seem to recall that the white aircraft was described as having green wings some place or other.  It is hard to say whether this was painted (or un-painted) in such a way, or that is simply wear from crews walking on the wing servicing the aircraft.  Perhaps even advanced wear from the abrasive properties of snow being blown by the prop.  Would be nice to see the whole wing.  It was very rude of the pilot to stand in the way like that!   Cheesy

In any case, I think to do a generic non-winter scheme for this first one.   I prefer Leningrad units as I lived there for some months.  So really, the only personal preferences for this build are that it represent a northern unit, and not be a winter scheme.  As I haven't any actual decals for these, I was thinking to use red stars and whatever acceptable Russian-style bort number I could find in my decal library.  The question I had for the Leningrad planes was which summer scheme would be under the white?  (Red codes would revert to white, I assume.)  I guess the answer depends on where the Soviets got them from.  As hinted here, the RAF style camo seen on the P-40Es was to meet a requirement for export orders, mainly for the UK.  Ones intended for US use were OD/NG.  Export aircraft were not initially painted in actual RAF colors, but DuPont American approximations of those colors.  Apparently it was also common for a batch of aircraft to be produced to meet an order, and then the aircraft be diverted to meet other needs (kept for US use, etc).  For 96 and 32 here, I can't tell very well from the image, but are those all green?  I suppose since I am open to building a "representative" aircraft, there would be no harm in doing it that way.  I'm not quite ready to paint, so perhaps I will attempt to see if I can research how stocks of K models were distributed in an effort to determine where the Leningrad planes originated.

The upturned shark mouth on the rear aircraft is a distinctive British style.  Every profile I have available to me that features a mouth arced in such a way was British.  If those three are all single color camo, that makes the image more interesting.

For the cockpit I used basic US interior green.  The enamel from Testors Model Master line seemed better to me, but I prefer now to use acrylic, which you see here.  It is just a touch lighter, but looks fine I think.

As Massimo can tell you, I have some unusual luck with my kits.  This AMT kit has been thrown away and rescued three times over the last 4 years or so!  Here is an image that will explain why:

But for some reason, I can't quite give up on a kit, and the idea that essentially a whole P-40 was in the recycling bugged me.  The Hasegawa kit is not without difficulties, and those were intentionally engineered into it by Hasegawa.  So the AMT joined the Hasegawa kit on the table and they proceeded together.  Lots and lots of filling and sanding.

Here is another example.  The fit of the parts was not good.  Some of this was from warping, and some of it was just poor kit design.  Notice that the bottom seam is nice and flush, but as you look up, the fit gets increasingly worse.  Notice also that the side engine panels are not long enough and leave gaps at the spinner back plate.

Here you can see where I put in plastic strips and then sanded them in to fill in the voids of the engine access panels.  These are the white sections on either side of the prop pin.

The exhausts on this kit are also poor.  Interestingly, my hobby supplier did not list flared exhaust for the P-40, but did for the P-39.  As they were both Allison engined aircraft, I compared photos and found them to be essentially the same.  In any case, anything would be better than the kit parts, so I got them.  They were designed to fit the Hasegawa kit, which uses a different method of attaching them.  On the Hasegawa kit they drop into holes from outside so that you can paint and install them separate from the aircraft.  Very smart move.  AMT is designed so you have to put them in before you close up the fuselage, which forces you to paint the aircraft and exhausts after they are all together.  Not so smart.

I used the kit exhausts to make a box for the resin ones.  I cut off the pipes and hollowed out the strip, then installed plastic strip on the back.

After that, these were simply glued inside the fuselage so that I could do the exhaust as Hasegawa designed - separate from the aircraft.

Here you can see the very obvious difference between the kit parts and the resin ones.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2011, 09:10:23 AM »

Hi John,
the fit looks terrible, particularly after having built an Hasegawa, but it's too sad to scrap a kit, I see. I hope to admire photos of the finished model, some day.
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2011, 11:07:37 AM »

There are only a few ways to paint a sharkmouth.  Some of the P-40s delivered to Russia may have come from British contracts, and hence been painted in British colours, but they will not have seen service in British hands (as the retention of obsolete camouflage colours shows) and so will not have had any personal markings added.  It willbe a Russian sharkmouth.  Or tiger, or whatever.
marluc

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2011, 11:43:15 AM »

You?re doing a great job on the P-40,I have an AMTech kit P-40E (AMT mouldings) with the same fit issues and a softer plastic.
I can recall that in the pictures of P-40K that I?ve seen,they were in RAF colour scheme.
Keep up the good work,greetings.
JP
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 09, 2011, 03:32:19 AM »

Here are some images of the surgery to put on the resin -K tail.

Here the tail is glued on after chopping off the kit tail.  Fun!

And here is the tail all sanded in nice and smooth.  This is where the soft plastic would be a nice thing, but actually the resin tail was bulged at the contact point along the sides, so most of the sanding was on that piece.  I simply sanded it at my work table over a bowl of water and kept the tail and the sand paper wet to keep any resin dust from getting into the air.  Now to re-scribe some panel lines, and I can start the painting!

learstang

« Reply #11 on: March 09, 2011, 04:35:41 AM »

Looking good, JP!  I shall be watching with interest.  Once I finish my magnum opus, the 1/32nd scale Hobby Boss single-seater Shturmovik, I might just get back to my VVS P-40's (I've got three - Khlobistov's winter camouflaged P-40C - White 58, a Klimov-powered P-40E - Red 20, and the P-40K - Red 26).  I'd also like to do Boris Safanov's last 'plane, a P-40E, but it appears it may not have been painted in that interesting blue scheme after all.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: March 09, 2011, 08:00:47 AM »

Hi John,
I see that it's an huge work, and an huge expense, on this model.
Who knows if one can try to bend plastic before building to reduce the amount of filler and file work?
However, it looks really that you saved it from the recycler. I'm highly interested to see it completed.
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2011, 04:35:58 AM »

Update!  No pics.  I am still sanding in the tail of this thing.  Every time I think it's good, I hold it up to a bright light and find a bump, dip, line, etc.  I hate filler!  Anyway, almost done.  My cat tried to help by stealing the clear parts, but I recovered them before he could chew on them.  He got a slap on the back leg that quickly educated him on whether it was worth jumping up on the model table.   Angry

A few more passes with the sand and I may start some paint tonight or tomorrow.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2011, 07:11:34 AM »

Hi John,
when I was a child, my dog was a killer of models and other toys. I remember a Hs-129 and an armoured car converted into deformed scraps of plastic.
I can't wait to see your model built.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: