Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Lend-Lease P-40K
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:15:07 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Lend-Lease P-40K  (Read 41440 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #60 on: June 30, 2011, 08:21:50 PM »

I've sometimes mixed nitro putty and CA to make a fast-drying putty. Only, it can be worked for few seconds only. And functions well only with a relatively dry putty, an old tube.
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #61 on: August 14, 2011, 10:46:19 PM »

Item 1.  I split the discussion on schemes to a separate post.  We can discuss the construction of this particular P-40K here, and schemes in general in the other topic.  At some point, the schemes post can be moved into the research section of the forum.

Item 2.  Did a little work on this AMT kit...first some easy stuff.  I decided to not use putty, but rather use fine strips of plastic to fill these gaps. 

On the trailing edges of the wings at the fuselage, where this famous gap exists on all AMT P-40 kits as I understand it.

And on one side only where the wing joins the front fuselage behind the engine.

It's just easier to do in my opinion.  You just shave the plastic down with a knife, and then sand it a few times.  No need to do it several times because of a filler putty that is a different consistency of the plastic around it, lumpy, grainy, and so on.

And as with everything else on this kit, I discovered a new problem.  Examine the trailing edges of the tail planes.  Cry

Taken one by one, none of these little problems is a very big deal.  But so far I can't think of any action I have tried to take on this kit where something like this wasn't waiting to delay my progress.  I won't be throwing out my other AMT kits (yet), but I sure won't be in a hurry to start another one anytime soon.  More so because I was able to obtain a carton of Hasegawa P-40Ks.  Smiley
marluc

« Reply #62 on: August 22, 2011, 02:51:44 PM »

You?re doing a good work,the AMT kit has very nice surface detail but a lot of fitting issues.Greetings.

Martin
JP
Administrator

« Reply #63 on: September 02, 2011, 06:43:42 PM »

A small update.  Here are some images of the wing fared into the fuselage.  It took 4-5 nights of sanding sessions to get it where I wanted it. 

Here you can see the trailing edge where I added the plastic strips.  (You can still see them in the first image.)  This may have helped overall, but it still took forever to get it looking right.  Mostly because the wing itself was short, but then also because the place at the fuselage where it met the wing had bumps.  Maybe the plastic got pushed up when it was still warm, and this is why there is the gap in the first place??

Here it is after I scribed in the lines for the flaps after sanding it all away.

Here is the attachment point near the front.  This was more complicated area to sand, but it went much faster than the back edge because the plastic here was in no way deformed.  Also, re-scribing the curved panel lines and putting the rivets back was easier.  This was done in the first two nights while I continued to work on the back edge...

I'm going to ditch these tail planes and take the ones out of the other AMT kit.  I'm tired of working on such things and just want to BUILD A MODEL!!!   Angry  And at that, I've run out of things I need to do before I start painting.  So tonight I mask the canopy parts and see how far I get before bed time.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #64 on: September 02, 2011, 09:23:16 PM »

Hi JP,
what an huge work! However, I'm happy to see that the model wasn't abandoned despite all the difficulties.
Regards
Massimo
JP
Administrator

« Reply #65 on: September 02, 2011, 09:31:29 PM »

I've put far too much work into it to ditch it now!   Grin  But honestly, there aren't many parts left, so there can't be much of this correction work left to do.  (And I hope I don't regret thinking that...)
marluc

« Reply #66 on: September 03, 2011, 12:13:55 AM »

Great filling and sanding work,it looks very good so far.Gretings.

Martin
JP
Administrator

« Reply #67 on: September 05, 2011, 09:14:23 PM »

Another little update.  So, moving on to the little bits . . . next up was the landing gear.  Up to now, I'd been so focused on the wing/fuselage issues that I hadn't even bothered to look at this.  Naturally, there was some work to do here, but nothing on the order of the problems I've already encountered.  I cut the landing gear parts out and began to test fit them.  Here is essentially what the instructions tell you to do and what the parts look like:

The question that immediately popped into my head was, why have that little door a separate piece if it just sits there like that?  Certainly it would have been easier to just mold it there as part of the wing.  So a quick look at a reference pic showed this:

Well, that explains it.  The little strut in the reference pic is an I-shaped piece of aluminum.  My eyes are not so good that I can replicate that detail exactly, but I can surely do better than the kit suggests.  So out comes the plastic strip.

Now, the little door piece was molded solid like a door stop, so I just needed to sand it out to make it thin(ner) like the real thing, et voila!

Perhaps not 100% museum accuracy, but better than it was.  Maybe if I think of it I will add some bolt heads on either end of that strip to make it look more the part.

marluc

« Reply #68 on: September 17, 2011, 02:28:01 PM »

The added landing gear leg struts are a good detail,keep on with the good work.Greetings.

Martin
JP
Administrator

« Reply #69 on: December 14, 2012, 07:47:58 AM »

Well, don't get too excited, but as I have a few days off this Christmas, I think I will take a look at resuming work on this troubled P-40.  It's a good thing I left myself some bread crumbs here on the forum to help me figure out where I was with the thing, and where I wanted to go with it.  I think I have too many years (by now perhaps as many as 7) and memories associated with this poor little kit to leave it undone.  My 17 year old son was so much younger and speaking Italian when I started it.   Cry

PS - Massimo, help me find a job in Trieste so I can come back!  Smiley

PPS - Yes, I just seriously necro'd this post.  Wink
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #70 on: December 14, 2012, 09:06:34 AM »

Hi JP,
this model looks to have assumed a role of memories holder. I will be glad to see it done.
A job in Trieste? I can try... but it's not the best period to come into Italy to look for a job. Undecided
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #71 on: December 14, 2012, 09:18:34 AM »

JP,

Thanks for sharing.
Looking good.
Curious for the result when finished.

Michel
JP
Administrator

« Reply #72 on: December 22, 2012, 08:26:21 PM »

Unfortunately, I just sat down to re-greet my old project.  Immediately I noticed many things in my hobby space which did not belong.  It appears someone decided to use my closed hobby area for storage while I was out of the country.  What I noticed next was far more upsetting - large parts of the P-40 no longer on the desk...apparently, they also let the cats go in there.

Time to crawl around on the floor and see if I can find everything.  Wish me luck.

Cry
learstang

« Reply #73 on: December 22, 2012, 08:31:48 PM »

Good luck indeed, John!  Luckily I don't have to worry about small creatures, bipedal or otherwise getting at my kits/models.  When my twin nephews visit (nearly three now!), they are not allowed around Unkie Jason's models.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #74 on: December 22, 2012, 09:41:19 PM »

I thought I had a similar arrangement.  A very small room with an always closed door with nothing in there but my models.  There was no reason for anyone to go in there.  Funny what liberties others take when you aren't around.

Good news though.  I found all of the pieces.  Only the spinner had been stepped on, but I think I've already got it rounded out.  Going to finish the landing gear and see what else I need to do to start putting some paint on.  Starting with finding my airbrush...
« Last Edit: December 22, 2012, 10:51:28 PM by JP » Logged
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6
  Print  

Jump to: