Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Series of MiG-3 Photos on ebay.de
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 09:53:18 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Series of MiG-3 Photos on ebay.de  (Read 11270 times)
learstang

« Reply #15 on: March 15, 2011, 10:29:29 PM »

I can?t believe it!!!  Shocked
Two first line players and they both stumbled on basics!!!  Sad

Oil paint AE-9 - for metal only!  For fabric - nitrocellulose paints only!!!

Nitrocellulose varnishes stretched fabric and increased its strength.  Four layers of clear AI-N were optimal.  Number of layers increased, and in 1940 four layers of AI-N were followed with a coat of AII Al (to reflect UV light and protect fabric) and two coats of AII Z (camouflage colour).

If you believe that tailfin and ruder were gray, it was AII Gray.

Hope this helps.  Smiley
KL

Sorry Konstantin - we should know better! Embarrassed  Or is it that you're a part of the commie plot to confuse us bourgeoisie Western modellers - you are Russian, after all. Wink  About that photograph - is that an R-5 (it looks like it has an offset enclosed cockpit like some of the R-5's did)?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #16 on: March 15, 2011, 11:34:05 PM »

I can?t believe it!!!  Shocked
Two first line players and they both stumbled on basics!!!  Sad

Oil paint AE-9 - for metal only!  For fabric - nitrocellulose paints only!!!

Nitrocellulose varnishes stretched fabric and increased its strength.  Four layers of clear AI-N were optimal.  Number of layers increased, and in 1940 four layers of AI-N were followed with a coat of AII Al (to reflect UV light and protect fabric) and two coats of AII Z (camouflage colour).

If you believe that tailfin and ruder were gray, it was AII Gray.

Hope this helps.  Smiley
KL

Well, thanks for that, although if I'm a first line player, it must be a very small team! I feel more like the guy in the bucket under the wing of that ARK-5 (?) in the photo you posted... Wink

Okay, AII Gray it is!

I believe that the plain was in its original 1937 colours when captured in 1941:  silver AII Al fuselage and light gray AE-9 metal parts.

Cheers,  Cool
KL

Yes, that's what I've always believed too, or at least since learning that the cowling wasn't some decorative colour like white or yellow, probably thanks to you and/or Massimo, or maybe Mario Holly!

On the other hand, I think the dark areas behind the exhausts were overpainted roughly in black as a sort of decoration, so that exhaust stains wouldn't be so visible, as Jason also suggested.

John
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: