Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Elabourately Painted IL-2
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 06:56:07 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Elabourately Painted IL-2  (Read 100571 times)
barneybolac

« Reply #45 on: April 03, 2012, 04:34:53 AM »

I have been looking for a long time for the 1965 documentary film of Nelson Stepanyan & I found it at this Russian site.

http://kinozon.tv/381511

Wanted to look at this to see if anything is on the film in regards to his plane.

Only problem is they only deliver in Russia.

Any Russians here that will work with me on getting this CD sent to me? Or have seen this film & know if it is of any help?

Regards: Rodney.
barneybolac

« Reply #46 on: April 12, 2012, 08:31:58 PM »

Found this well known photo again & it's a sharper photo than any other of this side of the plane I have seen before.

I think it shows clearly what I thought I could see in other pictures.  That the darker nose portion of the aircraft shows the darker colour is actually painted above the white line & leads back towards the cockpit & possibly even further than what I have outlined & another possible white line along it's edge?

Also I think this better photo shows that there is most likely a camo pattern on the wing of some sort & not just one solid colour.
learstang

« Reply #47 on: April 12, 2012, 08:43:04 PM »

Rodney, that does look like a white line along the edge of that upper cowling continuation of the dark colour.  As far as the wing, other than the wingroot appearing lighter than the part of the wing immediately next to it, it's hard to tell if it's camouflaged.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
barneybolac

« Reply #48 on: April 12, 2012, 08:54:27 PM »

Rodney, that does look like a white line along the edge of that upper cowling continuation of the dark colour.  As far as the wing, other than the wingroot appearing lighter than the part of the wing immediately next to it, it's hard to tell if it's camouflaged.

Regards,

Jason
It is looking like that the dark canopy colour may actually be attached so to speak with the dark nose in some sort of V shaped configuration?

barneybolac

« Reply #49 on: April 13, 2012, 01:24:26 PM »

Curious as to all of your thoughts on the colours of Stepanyans aircraft now with this sharper picture?

You can see the top of a tail of what I assume is another IL-2 in the background & I would also assume it is painted in a more conventional paint scheme to Stepanyans plane. So using the tip of tail as a reference for a base line side by side analysis what do you all think his aircraft may be painted like now?

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #50 on: April 13, 2012, 01:48:08 PM »

Hi Rodney and Jason,
it seems that the white aiming lines over the nose have survived the repainting of the plane.

Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #51 on: April 13, 2012, 01:52:25 PM »

Hi Rodney and Jason,
it seems that the white aiming lines over the nose have survived the repainting of the plane.

Regards
Massimo
Now that makes sense did not think of that nice find.

I wonder how that darker section looks from above on the aircrafts nose?
KL

« Reply #52 on: June 11, 2012, 11:54:02 PM »

Using Stepanyan's bio at http://airaces.narod.ru/all7/stepn_ng.htm IMHO, it is posible to (roughly) date photos of Stepanyan's "elabourately painted Il-2".

-  Stepanyan was awarded HSU in Oct 1942.
-  in Nov 1942 becomes squadron commander (still in 57 shap)
-  throughout 1943 and begining of 1944 Stepanyan is an instructor.  First he trains section leaders and later he teaches courses to higher oficers of the VVS KBF.
-  in Apr 1944 he was sent to front again as a commander of the 47 shap which participated in fightings for Crimea.

"Elabourately painted Il-2" fits the best in 1943.  Stepanyan was already a celebrity, he was in the rear so the camouflage wasn't necessary.  His plane is an early two-seater probably made in late 1942 or in first half of 1943.  Rear gun is not visible - it was probably removed from a training plane.
Stars have thin red outline - this was introduced in Sept 1943.

IMHO, photos were taken in autumn 1943.

KL
barneybolac

« Reply #53 on: November 19, 2014, 01:47:45 PM »

A friend gave me this link.

http://video.yandex.ru/users/e-muchnaya/view/1/

It has the still shots I posted before only the clarity of the photos are fantastic.

Also in the first photo is that a bouquet of flowers near the rear of the aircraft?

learstang

« Reply #54 on: November 19, 2014, 05:41:39 PM »

Very interesting photographs. The last photograph says April of 1944, yet this appears to be an early straight-winged two-seater (note the "tunnel"-type rear gunner's canopy). It's interesting that an early two-seater would have been given as a presentation machine to a Hero of the Soviet Union, instead of the swept-winged variant (arrow), that was being produced at this time.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #55 on: November 19, 2014, 11:09:05 PM »

Hi Rodney,
thanks for the excellent photos.  April 1944 label was inserted by movie makers because at that point in the movie, it describes how in April 1944 Stepanyan became a commander of 47 shap.  Movie presents Stepanyan as a warrior so it somehow skips period from March 1943 to April 1944...  Wink

HTH,
KL 
learstang

« Reply #56 on: November 19, 2014, 11:46:41 PM »

That explains it, Konstantin. I couldn't have imagined an HSU flying anything but an arrow by Spring of 1944.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #57 on: November 20, 2014, 06:35:07 AM »

Hi Rodney, hi all,
thank you for having posted these good images.
I don't know about flowers, are them visible on all the photograms of the movie or only on this one?
I see that the starlets on the nacelles are shadowed as those of Kremlin; beside I think to see that there is a very slight change in colors along a thin ring around the white part of the spinner. I think that two dark colors were used, I suppose red and blue, but which parts was blue and which red it's only a guess. I think that the rear part of the spinner is of the same color of the nose.
I'm in doubt also on the red color attributed to the canopy frames. I see that the photos show a dark shade perfectly consistent with red, but the plane was painted to give the idea to be sleeker, and an high visibility color for the ugly box-like canopy would ruin this effect. Should I paint such a plane, I would use a medium grey to make it less visible.
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #58 on: November 20, 2014, 07:45:06 AM »

Hi Rodney, hi all,
thank you for having posted these good images.
I don't know about flowers, are them visible on all the photograms of the movie or only on this one?
I see that the starlets on the nacelles are shadowed as those of Kremlin; beside I think to see that there is a very slight change in colors along a thin ring around the white part of the spinner. I think that two dark colors were used, I suppose red and blue, but which parts was blue and which red it's only a guess. I think that the rear part of the spinner is of the same color of the nose.
I'm in doubt also on the red color attributed to the canopy frames. I see that the photos show a dark shade perfectly consistent with red, but the plane was painted to give the idea to be sleeker, and an high visibility color for the ugly box-like canopy would ruin this effect. Should I paint such a plane, I would use a medium grey to make it less visible.
Regards
Massimo

What I think I see is not drawn on but are two actual bunches of flowers. They are only on this first still shot.

What I have always wondered the most what are the top surfaces of the wings painted like? Still confused by the leading edge of the wings with the rectangle looking white lines.

Flight recognition colours or something like that? They seem to be another colour to the surrounding leading edge of the wing.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #59 on: November 20, 2014, 08:52:57 AM »

Hi Rodney,
the wings are a big question mark. Bot observing the photos from the sides, I see that they are painted gloss, while the supposed grey on the fuselage is very matt. Besides I see a tiny dark line on the undersurface of the photo from the left-rear that suggests that all the uppersurface is painted with a darker gloss color that extends a bit under the leading edge.
 The white-bordered rectangles are surely of another bright color.
The photo from the right-rear seems to show a light walking band on the wingroot.
I wonder if the wing uppersurface could be painted glossy dark blue with red wingroot and rectangles (or vice versa).
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: