Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Elabourately Painted IL-2
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:15:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Elabourately Painted IL-2  (Read 100549 times)
learstang

« on: March 16, 2011, 09:03:31 PM »

Does anyone know anything about this Shturmovik?  It looks to me like it's an early straight-winged two-seater, because of the early-style gunner's canopy and the short radio mast.  It doesn't appear to be in the black-green scheme, so it should be in one of the two "three-colour" schemes.  I'm thinking that the colour on the nose is red, with a white outline.  Does anyone have a guess as to which of the two three-colour patterns it is?

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2011, 09:44:13 PM »

Just offhand, no, but I truly dig those wide whitewall tires - do I see fuzzy dice hanging from the windscreen?  Grin

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2011, 10:51:12 PM »

Hi Jason,
I've already seen photos of Tu-2 and Pe-2s that have a strange light, not-uniform color on a wide part of the plane, and other parts are very dark. I suppose that they could be originally painted with black-green camouflage, roughly adapted, after 1943, with a wide application of AMT-1 light brown without respecting the templates. Note that the canopy struts and the tail of the plane visible on the background are much darker of the sides.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2011, 11:36:24 PM »

Jason,
text explains that this was a personal plane of 2 x HSU Nelson Stepanyan. Stepanyan was one of the most successful Il-2 pilots of the entire war.  In 1944 he received an Il-2 bought from funds collected in his native Armenia.  This plane had name "Mstitel".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nelson_Stepanyan
http://www.win.ru/Mysteries-of-History/3553.phtml
http://video.yandex.ru/users/warta21/view/24/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7aXy7OqAfho

IMHO Stepanyan's Il-2 on your photo is one of a kind plane. A personal plane, not a camouflaged plane.  Maybe solid gray???  Maybe solid green???  Wings look different than fuselage and tailplane is definitely darker than fuselage, maybe red??? same with cockpit framing, red???

« Last Edit: March 16, 2011, 11:51:24 PM by KL » Logged
learstang

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2011, 12:15:35 AM »

Thank you gentlemen for the information!  Nice pictures Konstantin!  John, I don't think it has fuzzy dice, but I'm pretty sure HSU Nelson Stepanyan could jump the aeroplane up and down on the ground like a lowrider car, with Armenian music blasting out of the speakers.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2011, 12:39:02 AM »

...with Armenian music blasting out of the speakers.

...or maybe "Ride of the Valkyries", if he was on a combat mission!

John
Troy Smith

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2011, 10:10:56 PM »

...or maybe "Ride of the Valkyries", if he was on a combat mission!

John

That's not very patriotic!! wasn't Hitler a big fan of Wagner too?   Maybe the 1812 overture would work better.... Smiley
learstang

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2011, 03:09:39 AM »

So gentlemen, can we come to some consensus regarding the topsides colour of this aeroplane?  Green (AMT-4) or Grey (AMT-11)?  I tend towards the green option, although the grey option is more striking.  In terms of the trim, such as the nose and the tail, I tend towards red.  And I think we can all agree it did not have fuzzy dice nor the chrome package, although it definitely did have those spiffy whitewalls.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 05:27:01 AM »

On both photos (green) grass is very dark, darker then red star.  The film that was used was more sensitive to green than on red!!!  Huh
My interpretation would be:  Wink

Fuselage upper surface and wing root - mid gray
Cockpit framing - red
Nose and tail trim - dark green or dark blue
Fuselage and wing undersurface - light blue
wing top - light blue
Landing gear pods trimming - dark green or dark blue
Wheels - dark green A-15f, like postwar Soviet planes

Dark blue trimming could be assicated to Navy???

Shocked Am I turning into Pilawskii?!?! Shocked
learstang

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2011, 06:25:39 AM »

Not to worry, Konstantin, you didn't mention AII Brown or Tractor Green.  Thank you for your interpretation.  It's a very unusual Shturmovik whatever it was painted in.  And I thought "White 24" was strangely painted (another naval IL-2).  Looking at it, it seems that the "red" tail and nose are darker than the red stars, especially in that second photograph, so dark green or dark blue are good guesses.  I assume that the water in the fuselage paintings are in blue, so blue trim would go with these.  I realise B&W analysis is very tricky, but it's all we have to go on this case, unless someone magically unearths the remains of this plane and can do a chemical analysis of the paint.  Or unless I can finally get my time machine up and running.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2011, 08:20:56 AM »

Hi Jason, John and Konstantin,
the front image looks to show not uniform color of the wing uppersurfaces. They could have been still camouflaged.
The dark color on the landing gear nacelles is difficult to be followed on the uppersurface of wings.
For the nose and tail, I would go with dark blue, and light grey on fuselage.
Note that the paintings are different on each side.
The red star on the spinner looks to have 6 points.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2011, 04:51:02 PM »

Good observations, Massimo, thank you!  With everybody's help I may just be able to figure out how this strange bird was painted.  In case you were wondering why I'm so interested in this 'plane, when pointing out to "Mr. Montex" (Darek Korczynski) that the profiles on his mask set for the Hobby Boss single-seater were incorrect, I offered to help him with any new masks for the IL-2.  He wants to do masks for this particular aeroplane, so I'm trying to help him out on it.  I don't think we'll be receiving any residuals from him if he produces it, but it'd still be nice to see some of our research go into the production of an aftermarket item.  By the way, his mask set for the single-seater, although the profiles have inaccuracies, is quite nice, and includes masks to paint "Za Otradnova" (a 'plane with the rear fuselage external metal ribs) and the famous aeroplane of HSU N.A. Zub, "Smert' Fashtikim Okuppantam!".

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 04:53:00 PM by learstang » Logged

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »

the front image looks to show not uniform color of the wing uppersurfaces. They could have been still camouflaged.

The front view image is also the poorest quality.  I would take a photo of a model at similar angle and at similar lighting to check how much reflections and shedows there could be.  Or just to check how much of the wing upper surface is visible.

Both side view photos clearly show sharp boundary between fuselage gray and wing top colour.  Check again straight line at both wing roots.
To my eye, wing top is the same colour as fuselage underside and wheel covers, i.e. light blue AMT-7... Huh  I know this is an "unusual scheme", but we have agreed that Stepanyan's Il-2 was one of a kind.  Wink

It would be nice if somebody quickly traces/draws this unique Shturmovik.  Roll Eyes  I am sure that Stepaniyan's Il was more striking than the two profiles from previous post suggest.
Massimo, how about tracing this plane?

Cheers,
KL  
« Last Edit: March 18, 2011, 06:02:04 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2011, 07:11:33 PM »

Hi Konstantin and Jason,
about the photos, I could add that only the front part of the spinner looks grey/silver with star, the rear part is painted with the dark color and a white outline.
About a profile... templates require time, once one has made the templates, each profile requires only little time. A day, maybe, when I'll try to trace profiles of all known shturmoviks...
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2011, 08:33:46 PM »

Hi Konstantin and Jason,
about the photos, I could add that only the front part of the spinner looks grey/silver with star, the rear part is painted with the dark color and a white outline.
About a profile... templates require time, once one has made the templates, each profile requires only little time. A day, maybe, when I'll try to trace profiles of all known shturmoviks...
Regards
Massimo

I for one, Massimo, definitely look forward to that day.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: