Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Elabourately Painted IL-2
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 04:02:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Elabourately Painted IL-2  (Read 100560 times)
barneybolac

« Reply #15 on: August 24, 2011, 04:25:46 AM »

I was wondering what books the photos & profiles came from I would like to get a hold of these if any one can help me with that. Regards: Rodney.
barneybolac

« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2011, 12:24:20 AM »

I was wondering what books the photos & profiles came from I would like to get a hold of these if any one can help me with that. Regards: Rodney.
Well I found the book with the right side photo Bagration to Berlin. Any assistance on any other book title would be great.
KL

« Reply #17 on: September 25, 2011, 03:54:47 AM »

It may have started with this tread, but Shocked

Stepaniyan's Il-2 in 1:32 !!! That's something!

Although my name decorates the sheet Roll Eyes, I proposed different colours:

On both photos (green) grass is very dark, darker then red star.  The film that was used was more sensitive to green than on red!!!  Huh
My interpretation would be:  Wink

Fuselage upper surface and wing root - mid gray
Cockpit framing - red
Nose and tail trim - dark green or dark blue
Fuselage and wing undersurface - light blue
wing top - light blue
Landing gear pods trimming - dark green or dark blue
Wheels - dark green A-15f, like postwar Soviet planes

learstang

« Reply #18 on: September 25, 2011, 04:38:03 AM »

I know, Konstantin - I did give him your suggestions.  However, I'm still pleased to have my name up in lights, so to speak.  Look, I'm famous!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
barneybolac

« Reply #19 on: September 25, 2011, 10:47:22 PM »

It may have started with this tread, but Shocked

Stepaniyan's Il-2 in 1:32 !!! That's something!

Although my name decorates the sheet Roll Eyes, I proposed different colours:

On both photos (green) grass is very dark, darker then red star.  The film that was used was more sensitive to green than on red!!!  Huh
My interpretation would be:  Wink

Fuselage upper surface and wing root - mid gray
Cockpit framing - red
Nose and tail trim - dark green or dark blue
Fuselage and wing undersurface - light blue
wing top - light blue
Landing gear pods trimming - dark green or dark blue
Wheels - dark green A-15f, like postwar Soviet planes

This profile looks to be a very good estimate to the lay out of the paint design. A few questions though what year did Stepanyan receive this particular aircraft? Do you not think the wing root radius is not painted a different colour to the rest of the wing?

The previous photos seem to lend some credence that something is going on there? This one I am not sure what aircraft he is near it seems painted very similar to the rest though.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: September 26, 2011, 07:21:21 AM »

Hi all,
Do you not think the wing root radius is not painted a different colour to the rest of the wing?
yes, but I am not sure if it is red. The red nose should end with a point and a white line, and the color below... who knows?
To tell the truth, I think that something on the painting of the wings of this plane has still to be understood. The front photo posted at the beginning of the thread shows wings that are not of uniform color and with trasversal white stripes, and the red as on the nose looks continuing below the landing gear nacelles.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #21 on: September 26, 2011, 07:31:28 PM »

This profile looks to be a very good estimate to the lay out of the paint design. A few questions though what year did Stepanyan receive this particular aircraft? Do you not think the wing root radius is not painted a different colour to the rest of the wing?

The previous photos seem to lend some credence that something is going on there? This one I am not sure what aircraft he is near it seems painted very similar to the rest though.

Wing root is the same color as the mid part of the fuselage, probably midium gray AMT-11.  Wing top is lighter, probably solid "deep sky blue" AMT-7.
Nose and tail are either dark green or dark blue, probably dark green.

Photo is probably from the same 1944 series. Too bad the background is retouched.

Cheers,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: September 26, 2011, 08:30:04 PM »

Hi,
Wing top is lighter, probably solid "deep sky blue" AMT-7.
Personally, I don't think that they would use camouflage colors on a bright plane, particularly on the nose and wings. Eventually they could leave camo color for background, but all that work for a dark green nose... I don't think.
I suspect that there is a stripe of some gloss color over the wing in correspondance of the nacelle; on the photo from the right, it could justify that uncomplete darker stripe that looks to reflect the darker shade on the fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #23 on: September 26, 2011, 09:46:54 PM »

Hi all,
Do you not think the wing root radius is not painted a different colour to the rest of the wing?
yes, but I am not sure if it is red. The red nose should end with a point and a white line, and the color below... who knows?
To tell the truth, I think that something on the painting of the wings of this plane has still to be understood. The front photo posted at the beginning of the thread shows wings that are not of uniform color and with trasversal white stripes, and the red as on the nose looks continuing below the landing gear nacelles.
Regards
Massimo
Agreed 100%. Since it is unknown what is happening on the wings. I think the current profile lay out is a very good representation. Colour? Who really knows at this point.
barneybolac

« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2011, 10:16:43 PM »

Wing root is the same color as the mid part of the fuselage, probably midium gray AMT-11.  Wing top is lighter, probably solid "deep sky blue" AMT-7.

Photo is probably from the same 1944 series. Too bad the background is retouched.

Cheers,
KL

The reason I asked about the date for his aircraft was because of that photo I posted it is dated 1942. It was pointed out to me by a person I am working with to make a skin of this aircraft for a flight SIM game.

That if the 1942 date is correct AMT-11 was not used until September 1943?

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/colors/color-table.html

Also the red Falcons site that I got the photo from if it is translated correctly says the plane was presented to him in 1942.

Click on part 7 & search for his name to get to that link.

http://translate.google.com/translate?hl=en&sl=ru&tl=en&u=http%3A%2F%2Fairaces.narod.ru%2Findex.html

Here is a portion of the text.

Thoughts?
KL

« Reply #25 on: September 26, 2011, 10:18:24 PM »

I think the current profile lay out is a very good representation. Colour? Who really knows at this point.

I think it isn't:

1.  wing top is different colour then wing root and the fuselage.  It's lighter.
2.  necelles were pinted same as engine cowling (plane's nose)
3.  Nose, necelles and tail are not the same colour as the markings.  Those parts are darker than red stars

Cheers,
KL
barneybolac

« Reply #26 on: September 26, 2011, 10:24:48 PM »

Hi,
Wing top is lighter, probably solid "deep sky blue" AMT-7.
Personally, I don't think that they would use camouflage colors on a bright plane, particularly on the nose and wings. Eventually they could leave camo color for background, but all that work for a dark green nose... I don't think.
I suspect that there is a stripe of some gloss color over the wing in correspondance of the nacelle; on the photo from the right, it could justify that uncomplete darker stripe that looks to reflect the darker shade on the fuselage.
Regards
Massimo
I too looked at that right view of that photo & was playing about with it not sure if it is a stripe or just a panel reflecting the light some how.

The area in question I think matches this photo of another plane.

It's a shame that the left wing is at just enough of an angle to hide this area.
barneybolac

« Reply #27 on: September 26, 2011, 10:28:22 PM »

I think the current profile lay out is a very good representation. Colour? Who really knows at this point.

I think it isn't:

1.  wing top is different colour then wing root and the fuselage.  It's lighter.
2.  necelles were pinted same as engine cowling (plane's nose)
3.  Nose, necelles and tail are not the same colour as the markings.  Those parts are darker than red stars

Cheers,
KL
Sorry I was not clear. Colour I agree may not be correct on the profile. Your pattern & paint lines are very good based of what is in hand. That is what I meant by lay out.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2011, 10:30:27 PM by barneybolac » Logged
KL

« Reply #28 on: September 26, 2011, 11:39:58 PM »

Sorry I was not clear. Colour I agree may not be correct on the profile. Your pattern & paint lines are very good based of what is in hand. That is what I meant by lay out.

Few paint lines (borders between paints) are missing:
1. Between gray wing root and light blue wing top
2. Between dark green (or dark blue, or dark red) necelle and light blue wing undersides

KL
barneybolac

« Reply #29 on: October 18, 2011, 02:49:26 AM »

Regards
Massimo

I think I may have found a partial answer to this point you have made.

I bought Vasily Emelianenko's book & it has a few photos of IL-2's in it & there is this one of an IL-2 that bears a striking resemblance to the plane in question.

As you can see the same strange rectangle on the leading edge of the plane similar painted spinner with the star as well as the nacelles for the landing gear.

The most striking feature to me is that the dark area painted along the wing root is not the same colour as the fuselage & it looks to follow what I believe is on the leading edge of Stepayans aircraft as well.

Thoughts?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: