Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Elabourately Painted IL-2
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:17:16 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  
Author Topic: Elabourately Painted IL-2  (Read 100552 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #30 on: October 18, 2011, 11:57:38 AM »

Hi Barneybolac,
the resemblance is strong, it could even to be the same plane photographed in another date. Unfortunately it doesn't clarify the matter. Does the text add anything?
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #31 on: October 18, 2011, 09:40:55 PM »

Hi Barneybolac,
the resemblance is strong, it could even to be the same plane photographed in another date. Unfortunately it doesn't clarify the matter. Does the text add anything?
Regards
Massimo
Agreed with the clarification. The text you see in the first photo is all that is on the photo. Started reading the book maybe something else in there? We will see.

EDIT: I think this is the same aircraft from my prior post in this thread from the red falcons site. Take note of underlined green.

Big coincidence don't you think? Same unit.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2011, 10:06:52 PM by barneybolac » Logged
KL

« Reply #32 on: October 19, 2011, 07:18:35 AM »

the resemblance is strong, it could even to be the same plane photographed in another date.

It wasn't the same plane.  If nothing else, two well known pilots...

Yemelyanenko's 4th shap was renaimed 7th gshap in March 1942.  It's full name would be something like: 7th Guard's Attack, of Sevastopol, of the Order of Lenin, of the Red Banner Aviation Regiment - http://allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/struct/p/shap4.dat

Stepanyan's 57 pshap VVS VMF was renaimed 7th gshap VVS VMF in March 1943.  It's full name would be: 7th Guard's Dive-bombing and Attack, of Talin, of the Red Banner, of the Order of Ushakov Aviation Regiment VVS VMF - http://allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/struct/p/shap57.dat

This example only shows that Red Star was a popular decorative element on Il-2s.  Wheel necelles and spinners were natural place for them.  Spinner of Yemelyanenko's Il-2 had a regular 5-point Red Star.  Stepanyan's Il-2 had what looks like a 6-point star.

KL
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 04:06:16 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: October 19, 2011, 08:05:06 AM »

Hi Konstantin, hi Barneybolac
interesting... the numbers of the units are the same, but their full name was not so.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: October 19, 2011, 08:12:18 AM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #34 on: October 19, 2011, 06:07:02 PM »

But... why does this Il-2 show its nose painted in a solid light color?  I've on my hands another photo of an Il-2 downed in 1944 that seems to show the very same thing!
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #35 on: October 19, 2011, 09:56:06 PM »

Interesting points there thank you.

Do any of you have an thoughts for that strange rectangle area on the leading edge of the wing?

Is it an access panel for servicing of some kind? Or prop wash kicking up dust that is wearing the paint off? Maybe ground crews sitting on the wing wearing it in that manner.

In the case of Stepanyan's aircraft it is very distinct & a constant shape. Possibly tape to seal the the panel seams similar to F4U Corsairs along the nose of the plane?
barneybolac

« Reply #36 on: November 04, 2011, 04:26:56 AM »

I know this is no way to compare these pictures for colour accuracy. Kind of interesting this Yak-1B when you have it alongside the IL-2 in question though?

« Last Edit: November 04, 2011, 04:59:35 AM by barneybolac » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: November 04, 2011, 06:44:36 AM »

Hi,
there is resemblance, no doubt. Who knows if they were painted by the same artist?
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #38 on: November 16, 2011, 06:03:09 AM »

I asked my Armenian friend to translate the Redfalcons site in regards to Stepenyan & his plane. The Google translation was so bad that I could not figure out what was fact or not.

The main point of interest is outside of the photos there is no reference at all to his aircraft except the photos & profile. At the end it lists a documentary that the information was gathered from for that site.

There is a film about 20 min long done in 1965.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0420800/

barneybolac

« Reply #39 on: March 29, 2012, 09:51:38 AM »

I found this link with a documentary on Nelson Stepanyan click on the 4TH picture.

http://zomobo.net/nelson-stepanyan

Or the direct link this did not work before?

http://zomobo.net/play.php?id=_3DR9QQh0DI

Found it on Youtube.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=_3DR9QQh0DI#!

& it has these three still shots that I took screen shots of.

Bottom line there is more photos out there of this plane & the quality has to be better than the screen shots I have took from the Youtube link.

Hopefully some one can translate the film it might have more clues as to what this plane looked like?

The small rectangles on the leading edges of the wings are very interesting to me? Any thoughts on this since a photo I posted earlier of another plane has the same look? Personally I think they are wear marks by ground crews sliding off the front the leading edge of the plane from the wing? If so I think it would indicate this plane was used often & not just a propaganda photo shoot where the aircraft was painted for just that event?
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 12:52:16 PM by barneybolac » Logged
barneybolac

« Reply #40 on: March 29, 2012, 11:15:44 AM »

Was watching the clip again & noticed another shot that I missed.

Also with actual video footage of Stepanyan on the Youtube link I think the still photos of his plane may actually be taken from film footage when he was presented his HSU. Just like the Emelyanenko clip I posted in this thread.

http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=173.0
barneybolac

« Reply #41 on: March 29, 2012, 11:50:57 AM »

The small rectangles on the leading edges of the wings are very interesting to me? Any thoughts on this since a photo I posted earlier of another plane has the same look? Personally I think they are wear marks by ground crews sliding off the front the leading edge of the plane from the wing? If so I think it would indicate this plane was used often & not just a propaganda photo shoot where the aircraft was painted for just that event?

A portion of film with Stepanyan in front of another IL-2 has the answer to the rectangle on the leading edge I believe.

A ladder.

« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 11:58:03 AM by barneybolac » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2012, 09:27:34 PM »

Hi Barneybolac,
thank you very much for the screenshots. The detail of the line on the prop blades is new, and six tips on the star on the spinner look confirmed.
I don't think that the rectangle on the leading edge has to do with a ladder.
I think that there is another color under the white line over the wings fillet, but I can't say if it's red, It just looks lighter than the nose and tail.
Regards
Massimo
barneybolac

« Reply #43 on: March 29, 2012, 10:53:32 PM »

I don't think that the rectangle on the leading edge has to do with a ladder.
I think that there is another color under the white line over the wings fillet, but I can't say if it's red, It just looks lighter than the nose and tail.
Regards
Massimo

Have to disagree with you on this part I think the white lines may be bare metal of the aircraft skin from the the ladder rubbing the leading edge or maybe some kind of light colour primer?

If you look at the other picture I have posted you can see the same pattern only not as prevalent. Maybe less ware & tear at this point in time but is clearly wear of the finish coat of paint.

On Nelsons plane the pattern is more prevalent as well as beyond the landing gear nacelle. Wish it was clearer I think it would show the wear better.

Now if you look at the ladder picture you can see that there is two forms at the end of the ladder that are cut to fit the profile of the leading edge of the wing. You can actually see the gap between the two cut forms. Those forms are what I think is forming the two horizontal lines of the rectangle when the ladder has been dragged across the wing face.

All open for debate of course.  Grin

The new pictures do prove a few facts as you mentioned & a few I noticed as well. The white line that runs up & over the wing is with out question there & now we know exactly wear it ends interestingly flush with the most outer edge of the wing radius. The darker nose colour continues beyond & lower than the end of the white stripe & I would not of thought it would be like that. Also you can just catch a glimpse of the dark wing radius colour & its demarcation line to what ever the top of the wing colour is.

I kind of cropped it a little close.
When you look at the still in the video it is a little more obvious.

What ever that dark wing radius colour is I think it is the same colour that is along the leading edge of the wing & forming the patterns around the landing gear nacelles as well.

I really do think that these new pictures are frames from a news reel though. Some where maybe there is actual motion film of this plane. That would be very exciting to find.

Edit: Just noticed that one of the older profiles has the stripes on the prop not one but two & looking at those new pictures closer I think there is two as well.

« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 12:35:54 AM by barneybolac » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #44 on: March 30, 2012, 10:28:53 AM »

Hi Barneybolac,
I don't think that it's the wearing due to the ladder. It is too regular and present outside the engine nacelles too. Besides the plane has just been painted. Besides it's very rare in worn Il-2s on photos of other planes. I think that it divides surfaces painted with different colors.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 14
  Print  

Jump to: