Drawing by Tapani Tuomanen
This drawing represents the Tomahawk Mk.IIA (P-40B) AH975, supplied to Soviets from British stocks and evalued at NII VVS (the Scientific Institute of the Air Force) in October 1941.
Tomahawk Mk. IIA was the export version of the P-40B for the RAF. The wing guns were replaced by two 0.303" calibre Brownings, and British radio was installed. It also had armour protection for the pilot and first version of self-sealing fuel tanks.
Tomahawk Mk. IIA (export P-40B) codes: AH881..990 ( 110 were produced, 23 of which were sent to the Soviet Union)
Tomahawk Mk. IIB (export P-40C) codes: AH991..999 and other (145 planes to VVS)
The plane was painted in British dark green-dark earth camouflage or its U.S. Dupont version. The undersurfaces were painted Sky (perhaps apart for the left wing, that could have been black). The British markings were probably repainted with British colors, apart for the band on the fuselage that remained white.
Images from Red Stars 4, ed. Apali.