By Michal Sekula
Tu-2S in the black-green livery utilized in 1942. Note bright outlined star
on the tail, and the lack of stars on the fuselage sides. Sometimes stars were
outlined with white or silver, although it wasn't a standard that time period.
The first production Tu-2 (VS and S) were completed in February 1942 in factory 168 in Omsk. They were equipped with M-82 engines, and arrived at the 3rd air army combat units. On October 1942, it was ordered to stop the production, and the 80th and last plane was delivered in January 1943.
Tu-2S during military trials in the year 1944:
Here are another Tu-2 planes wearing the same black-green camouflage:
The camouflage patterns on the all planes above nicely fit the NKAP (the Ministry for Aeronautical Industry) scheme published on 20 June 1941, the last day of peace. It ordered the two-tone, black-green camouflage on the upper surfaces.
Resources & Photos:
S.V. Ivanov, Vojna v vozduche no. 66 – Tu-2 (Air War no.66 – Tu-2)