Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Purchases from Russia
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:30:09 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Purchases from Russia  (Read 15243 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: September 02, 2011, 03:37:08 AM »

Despite the dedication and hard work of Guy Holroyd at Linden Hill Imports, there are still many small ?garage?-type manufacturers in Russia whose products are difficult to obtain outside that country. The biggest obstacle is making payment for those products in a business environment where it seems that the major credit card companies and PayPal don?t want to be involved. With the help (and patience!) of Anatoliy Kovalev (GoNzA) and some suggestions from Musa Zekoreev (Walker) and Aleksandr Kozyrev (Kajuk), finally, after many false starts, I found a relatively easy way of sending money to sellers in Russia. The company is called Contact; their web site is here:
http://www.contact-sys.com/eng/transfer/onlinetransfer.html

The method:
(1) [Edit - thanks, Musa!] All the seller needs is a bank account to receive a transfer of funds.
(2) The seller provides the buyer with details of the bank account he has set up for payment purposes. This includes the seller?s name, name of the bank and branch address (including a four-character alphabetic code which apparently identifies the branch), and the branch telephone number.
(3) The buyer can then arrange secure transfer of funds to the seller?s bank account by forwarding this information to a Contact agent and making payment of the necessary amount plus a $7 transaction fee to the agent.
(4) The Contact agent makes the payment into the seller?s account, then e-mails to the buyer a completed order form as a record of the transfer. This includes a 5-digit numeric transaction code (very important) which the buyer must e-mail to the seller in order for the bank to confirm the transaction to the seller.

Some suggestions:
(1) It helps if the Contact agent has people who can speak and read Russian. I had excellent service from a lady named Ira (pronounced ?EE-ra?) at the head office of Meest Corporation in Toronto, although it seemed that there were several other people at that office who were fluent in Russian.
(2) It also helps if the Contact agent is able to accept credit card information by telephone or e-mail. This eliminates the need to go to the office to make payment in person.
(3) The Russian postal service as a member of the International Postal Union can assign a tracking number to individual mail shipments which can be used on-line to determine the progress of a shipment. There may be a small fee payable by the sender for this feature, but it?s worth having.

I hope this information is helpful and assists in making some of these excellent products more easily available to modelbuilders outside Russia. The process I?ve described above may sound a bit complicated, but it?s a walk in the park compared to some of the alternatives ? actually it?s quite easy since the Contact agent takes care of the details and guides you through the process. If there are any questions or corrections regarding what I?ve tried to describe, please let me know.

John
« Last Edit: September 05, 2011, 09:27:37 PM by John Thompson » Logged
learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2011, 04:46:48 AM »

Thank you very much for the information, John!  This will no doubt come in very handy for us VVS addicts - no telling what goodies they have in Russia that we don't see and/or can't obtain easily in the West.  Like a 1/72nd scale Tu-85 (who knows - maybe someone does one in Russia).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Walker

« Reply #2 on: September 02, 2011, 09:31:01 AM »

Hi, John!

Seller is not necessary to register in the system. He may not even have a credit card. And he will receive money as a cash transfer.
For buyer's, all true.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2011, 05:47:28 PM »

This will no doubt come in very handy for us VVS addicts - no telling what goodies they have in Russia that we don't see and/or can't obtain easily in the West.  Regards,

Jason

You know it! I mentioned three of the best (Musa, Anatoliy, and Aleksandr) in my original post, but frequent trawling of Scalemodels.ru and other sources will reveal more. For the record, here are the GoNzA photoetch and Prop&Jet resin web sites:

http://gonza.moy.su/news/zakanchivaetsja_razrabotka_nabora_72007_dlja_modeli_samoleta_la_5_v_masshtabe_1_72/2011-05-31-28

http://propjet.ucoz.ru/?llYYUp

No site for Kajuk, but here's a couple of images Aleksandr sent me which I'm sure he won't mind me sharing:

Not all of these may be available at any given time, but I do confess to having the vacuform R-Z and I-207, plus the resin I-16 type 5, all on order and in transit right now... Wink

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2011, 06:15:10 PM »

Hi John,
interesting, the R-10  and other types  haven't been  adequately reproduced in traditional kits yet. There could be still some market for vacuforms.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2011, 06:34:46 PM »

Hi John,
interesting, the R-10  and other types  haven't been  adequately reproduced in traditional kits yet. There could be still some market for vacuforms.
Regards
Massimo

Image of a built Kajuk R-10:

It's interesting how the person who built it has taken the time to show the distinction between AEh-9 and AII Aluminum.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »

Hi John,
nice model, thank you for posting it.
Regards
Massimo
Walker

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2011, 11:40:54 PM »

Hi, John!

I have all the models from the catalog KAJUK. The quality is very high. They are accurate and not too difficult to assemble.
learstang

« Reply #8 on: September 06, 2011, 06:00:10 PM »

That's good to hear, Musa.  I wouldn't mind the TB-1 and the Grigorivich I-Z.  Of course I could just do the TB-1 Zveno.  Then again, maybe I should finish the half dozen (or more) nearly done GPW models I have waiting to be completed.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2011, 09:30:14 PM »

One masterpiece more by KAJuK (still in process)

and its prototype:

John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2011, 11:08:24 PM »

One masterpiece more by KAJuK (still in process)

and its prototype:

I got red X's, but with a bit of trickery, I came up with this:

...and this:

The quality of the resin parts in the first photo is pretty amazing, especially to anyone who's seen pure garbage like some of Magna's early efforts.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #11 on: September 21, 2011, 02:13:34 AM »

Today (Sept.20) I received the three kits I ordered from Alexander Kozyrev (Kajuk); it took just three weeks from the date of the payment transfer until the kits arrived at my door. I'm very pleased, both with the speed of service and the quality of the products (resin I-16, vacuform R-Z and I-207).

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2011, 04:07:24 PM »

An update - I've been told that, as of September 24, 2011, PayPal is now available as a method of payment transfer in Russia. This will make purchases from sellers who are PayPal members even easier. So go and buy something! Wink

John
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 01:58:43 AM by John Thompson » Logged
johnr

« Reply #13 on: May 09, 2012, 08:51:36 PM »

I have just had some kits from Musa Zekoreev (prop+Jet). I used Moneygram from the UK and he got his money very quickly. It cost ?5 to do this. From what I understand from Musa you can pay for things with PayPal but he can't access the actual cash. Presumably it just stays in his account until he uses it for something.
John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #14 on: May 10, 2012, 01:11:40 AM »

I have just had some kits from Musa Zekoreev (prop+Jet). I used Moneygram from the UK and he got his money very quickly. It cost ?5 to do this. From what I understand from Musa you can pay for things with PayPal but he can't access the actual cash. Presumably it just stays in his account until he uses it for something.
John

That's interesting - thanks, John! BTW, very nicely-done La-150 on Britmodeller; I assume you're the same "John R" from that forum!
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=234918202&pid=1030355&st=0&#entry1030355

John
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: