Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
A-14 - Best Modelling Paint Analogues For
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:24:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: A-14 - Best Modelling Paint Analogues For  (Read 9066 times)
learstang

« on: September 13, 2011, 07:09:07 AM »

After much deliberation I'm beginning to think that Testors Model Master Neutral Gray is a better match for A-14 Steel Grey than Light Ghost Gray as it is darker, which seems to better match not only the AKAN A-14, but the fragments of the DB-3/IL-4 preserved in the Museum in Kiev.  It's basically the same hue (colour) as Light Ghost Gray, but darker in tone.  If someone has a better colour match, I'd love to hear it.  Please realise that I am reluctant to rely upon AKAN partially because I feel their paints are too dark for 1/72nd scale products, and I hate mixing paints, but I also wish to have a more readily available paint line, and Testors fits that.  At any rate, I would be interested to hear any comments or suggestions regarding this colour (A-14).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
learstang

« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2011, 04:12:18 AM »

Don't everybody answer at once!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
JP
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2011, 07:08:41 AM »

Ok, we won't!  Tongue

Been buried at work these last few weeks.  Sorry, no input from me at this time.  Sad
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2011, 02:20:37 PM »

Hi,
the Humbrol 27 isn't too bad, but something lighter could be closer to the AKAN paint. Eventually one could use 27 as a base, and make some drybrushing with lighter shades on details.
Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: September 15, 2011, 08:53:47 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2011, 05:37:29 PM »

Ok, we won't!  Tongue

Been buried at work these last few weeks.  Sorry, no input from me at this time.  Sad

Sorry to be a little snippy, but I was feeling ignored! Cry  Massimo, thank you for the suggestion.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
marluc

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2011, 09:47:10 PM »

Don't everybody answer at once!
Sorry,I don?t have Testors paints,Humbrol 27 is close enough to A-14 and is available in my country.Greetings.

Martin
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2011, 04:41:41 PM »

After much deliberation I'm beginning to think that Testors Model Master Neutral Gray is a better match for A-14 Steel Grey than Light Ghost Gray as it is darker, which seems to better match not only the AKAN A-14, but the fragments of the DB-3/IL-4 preserved in the Museum in Kiev.  It's basically the same hue (colour) as Light Ghost Gray, but darker in tone.  If someone has a better colour match, I'd love to hear it.  Please realise that I am reluctant to rely upon AKAN partially because I feel their paints are too dark for 1/72nd scale products, and I hate mixing paints, but I also wish to have a more readily available paint line, and Testors fits that.  At any rate, I would be interested to hear any comments or suggestions regarding this colour (A-14).

Regards,

Jason

Light Ghost Gray did look a bit too light to my eye, although that didn't stop me from using it. MM Neutral Gray (#1725) is closer to the Akan colour, a bit lighter, perhaps. Although the following article is about AE-9, it may be of interest (maybe I should have posted it in the "Colours, Schemes, and Research" sub-forum); he claims AE-9 was much darker than we thought:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fakan.ru%2Findex.php%2Fsatii%2F34-rackpyltaynuae9&act=url

John
learstang

« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2011, 05:36:01 PM »

After much deliberation I'm beginning to think that Testors Model Master Neutral Gray is a better match for A-14 Steel Grey than Light Ghost Gray as it is darker, which seems to better match not only the AKAN A-14, but the fragments of the DB-3/IL-4 preserved in the Museum in Kiev.  It's basically the same hue (colour) as Light Ghost Gray, but darker in tone.  If someone has a better colour match, I'd love to hear it.  Please realise that I am reluctant to rely upon AKAN partially because I feel their paints are too dark for 1/72nd scale products, and I hate mixing paints, but I also wish to have a more readily available paint line, and Testors fits that.  At any rate, I would be interested to hear any comments or suggestions regarding this colour (A-14).

Regards,

Jason

Light Ghost Gray did look a bit too light to my eye, although that didn't stop me from using it. MM Neutral Gray (#1725) is closer to the Akan colour, a bit lighter, perhaps. Although the following article is about AE-9, it may be of interest (maybe I should have posted it in the "Colours, Schemes, and Research" sub-forum); he claims AE-9 was much darker than we thought:
http://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&js=n&prev=_t&hl=en&ie=UTF-8&layout=2&eotf=1&u=http%3A%2F%2Fakan.ru%2Findex.php%2Fsatii%2F34-rackpyltaynuae9&act=url

John

I still think Light Ghost Gray is a pretty close match (let's just say I'm not going to redo all the models I used it on), but I think Neutral Gray is closer, at least to the preserved fragments I've seen.  As far as it being lighter than AKAN, I think that's a good thing, as I believe AKAN's colours are too dark as is for scale models.  Now if I were restoring a full-sized aeroplane they might be perfect.  And thanks for the link, John; I'll check it out.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2011, 09:31:55 PM »

Hi

Although the following article is about AE-9, it may be of interest (maybe I should have posted it in the "Colours, Schemes, and Research" sub-forum); he claims AE-9 was much darker than we thought:

In this case, I don't agree with the deductions of Akanihin. He has taken a grey-green found inside a TB-3 and of a Yak-9 and has stated that it was AE-9.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: