Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"New" IL-2 profiles.
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:41:44 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "New" IL-2 profiles.  (Read 9724 times)
Saivila

« on: February 07, 2012, 05:10:11 PM »

Based on Template & Color Palette by Massimo Tessitori.

My response to "Errors on Authenthic Decals Sheet Schemes"  ( although that was NOT my reason for making these

ones Smiley  )  plus 2 others.

These are all straight-wing models (I think).

Yours, Saivila
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2012, 05:39:56 PM »

Very well done, Saivila - you seem to be pretty good at digital artwork! I'm thinking of printing these profiles and keeping them available for use with the Authentic Il-2 decals. Thank you!

John
KL

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2012, 06:25:14 PM »

Hi Saivila,
Excellent, you made interesting profiles.  I like how transparent is your black AMT-6 (sometimes maybe too transparent/woren out?)  

Following two profiles probably represent planes which were operational after Sept 1943 (Red star with thin red border)

Suggestions:
AMT-12 dark gray should be much darker
AMT-1 should be darker "coffee with milk"

or, check here:
http://akan.ru/index.php?page=shop.product_details&flypage=flypage.tpl&product_id=244&category_id=39&option=com_virtuemart&Itemid=2

« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 06:28:27 PM by KL » Logged
learstang

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2012, 07:15:41 PM »

Excellent work, Saivila!  It's always nice to see good colour profiles of the Shturmovik (that is - no brown/green camouflage!).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2012, 07:44:03 PM »

Hi Saivila,
I'm very happy that you made such a good use of my templates. I like this work.

About plane n.15, I've represented it as an arrow, but I can't be sure of course. It would be important to clarify this point in time, if possible.

Hi Konstantin,
in general, the ideas about AMT-1 are not clear. As you see, the coffee and milk has not much resemblance with the chip of Akan.

Best regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: February 07, 2012, 09:56:29 PM »

in general, the ideas about AMT-1 are not clear. As you see, the coffee and milk has not much resemblance with the chip of Akan.

Best regards
Massimo

I don't know - I've had some pretty disgusting coffee in my lifetime, and besides, I usually drink mine black. The first time I read the "coffee and milk" description, I thought it was pretty accurate! Wink

John
Saivila

« Reply #6 on: February 08, 2012, 06:41:15 AM »

Allright ..thanks much guys. This is not an easy cake to bake and, as a colour blind person, the hue is the hardest part
sometimes.  But ...about colours and shades . How dark or light they should be. Akans look dark without blanding.
If you are looking 1/72 scale aircraft one feet away ,its like you are lookin'  1/1 plane  72 feet away.

To maintain the impression, colours should be lighten, grey or white must add. 1/72 scale it's about 36%,
1/48 25% , and 1/32 15% lighten. That's how you mind the store.  If you spray 1/72 scale aircraf straight -for
example the Tamiya can-,  the end result is far too dark.  I think this is correct rule for profiles too ...?
,apart from the ones designed purely as a color charts.

Regards Saivila
Tibor Varga

« Reply #7 on: February 08, 2012, 08:24:13 AM »

Hello Saivila, great job,
as a modeller I think in 1/72 or even in 1/48 scale this color interpretation can be functional. I mean you will get a "correct" feeling from the final impression of the colors.
I can't find the site, but I as far as I know there will be a downscaled release of the 1/32 hobby boss IL-2.
What do you think, which sturmovik is the best kit right now?
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2012, 04:12:56 PM »

as a modeller I think in 1/72 or even in 1/48 scale this color interpretation can be functional. I mean you will get a "correct" feeling from the final impression of the colors.
I can't find the site, but I as far as I know there will be a downscaled release of the 1/32 hobby boss IL-2.

Oh Jasonnnn - paging Mr Learstang to the Information desk, please... Wink Well, personally, I'd say the best 1/72 ones at the moment are both single-seaters - Academy and Smer. The Academy one was actually tooled many years ago for Accurate Miniatures and is a downsized version of the AM 1/48 kit. The molds remained in limbo for several years after AM (in its original form) went out of business until Academy finally bought (?) them. The molds also included parts for a two-seater; I believe Academy is planning to release this version this year. As you say, and according to their web site, HobbyBoss will also release a 1/72 Il-2 this year if all goes according to plan. In 1/48, it would have to be the Accurate Miniatures kits; I don't think there's much else to choose from in that scale. But I'm sure Jason will be along shortly to provide more specific detail on this topic.

John
KL

« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2012, 06:04:46 PM »

To maintain the impression, colours should be lighten, grey or white must add. 1/72 scale it's about 36%,
1/48 25% , and 1/32 15% lighten. That's how you mind the store.  If you spray 1/72 scale aircraf straight -for
example the Tamiya can-,  the end result is far too dark.  I think this is correct rule for profiles too ...?

No, it's not a correct rule for profiles!  discuss this rule with artists - they will not understand or they will laugh...

Do you see that extra white or gray on this painting?

Did you add 20% white to the red of stars?   If you did you would get "Pink Stars"!   Cheesy
Does any modeler add 36% white to German black crosses and swastikas in 1:72?  I don?t think so?

Scale of the digital profile is relative:  one can zoom-in and make Il-2 profile 50cm long (approx 1:20)

I would recommend colours as close to the original and artistic licence to achieve 3D, texture, weathering
 etc.
Hth,
KL
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 06:07:31 PM by KL » Logged
learstang

« Reply #10 on: February 08, 2012, 09:33:16 PM »

Oh Jasonnnn - paging Mr Learstang to the Information desk, please... Wink Well, personally, I'd say the best 1/72 ones at the moment are both single-seaters - Academy and Smer. The Academy one was actually tooled many years ago for Accurate Miniatures and is a downsized version of the AM 1/48 kit. The molds remained in limbo for several years after AM (in its original form) went out of business until Academy finally bought (?) them. The molds also included parts for a two-seater; I believe Academy is planning to release this version this year. As you say, and according to their web site, HobbyBoss will also release a 1/72 Il-2 this year if all goes according to plan. In 1/48, it would have to be the Accurate Miniatures kits; I don't think there's much else to choose from in that scale. But I'm sure Jason will be along shortly to provide more specific detail on this topic.

John

Gosh, I don't know that much about IL-2 kits John, as I only have about 40 or 50 (and counting)!  That's interesting to hear about the down-scaled Hobby Boss kit - maybe they'll correct the metal fuselage, although it would be nice to have a modern tool straight-winged two-seater even with a metal fuselage, although I suppose they'll do the single-seater first (perhaps not, because of the Academy kit).  John, I agree with you regarding the single-seaters in 1/72nd scale - Academy or Smer.  The both have their pluses and minuses.  The Academy kit is overall better detailed and moulded, but has that wretched metal fuselage that was used at most by 3% of the single-seaters (it'd be like doing every Hurricane Mk.1 and II with the fabric wing).  The spinner is also too round and better replaced by a spinner from the Eduard kit or the Toko kit.  On the other hand, the Smer kit is nicely-moulded and detailed and has the wooden fuselage and better spinner, although it does have a few sink marks to contend with.  I've built both and if anything I like the Smer kit a little better, but that's just a matter of personal taste.  You can't go wrong with either.  For the straight-winged two-seater, the best would be the Dakoplast kit (very difficult to find in its original packaging), or its Eastern Express or Modelist re-brandings.  If you buy the Eastern Express kit, make sure it has the Dakoplast moulding (two-piece wing centre-section) as Eastern Express also often put the Toko mould (not a bad kit, but not as good as the Dakoplast kit) in the same box.  For the arrow, I'd go with the Eduard kit.  This is a nice kit that is once again let down by a metal fuselage (why are the manufacturers so b****y obsessed with the metal fuselage!?), so if you want to do a GPW version, you'll have to sand it down.  Otherwise it's a very nice kit and builds up into a good-looking model.

For 1/48th scale, the Accurate Miniatures kits and their re-brandings by Eduard and Italeri are the best (only?) way to go.  Very nice kits, again with the single-seater having that *$%*#&@ metal fuselage.  Also, as with their little Academy cousin, the spinners are too round (best to get a Vector resin replacement).

For 1/32nd scale, it's of course the Hobby Boss kits as these are the only game in town.  There are some inaccuracies and omissions, but they can build up into a very impressive-looking model.  Eduard provide detail sets for the single-seaters, and now for the straight-winged two-seater (the misnamed "IL-2M" - the Soviets never used this designation during WWII, just like they never used IL-2m3 for the arrow).  I've used the single-seater PE set (sets actually - they have more than one), and they certainly enhance the kit, especially the cockpit.  Although I don't have the two-seater PE set yet, I've had a look at the instructions and it definitely looks like it will enhance the interior.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Saivila

« Reply #11 on: February 08, 2012, 10:46:26 PM »

Did you add 20% white to the red of stars?   If you did you would get "Pink Stars"!   Cheesy
Does any modeler add 36% white to German black crosses and swastikas in 1:72?  I don?t think so?

[/quote]

1. No i ditn't. 2. No ...i don't think so . I said i think..with a question mark. You are right ,but my paints are "straight from the box. " 

But anyway...next time when i'm painting Mona Lisa again ,i know how to do it right.

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: February 09, 2012, 02:16:29 PM »

Hi Konstantin
Do you see that extra white or gray on this painting?
yes, there is a light blue shade on the background. This is called 'atmospheric perspective' (or something similar) by painters, and simulate the diffusion of blue light by the air. It is visible on far distances only, unless the day is foggy.

Just for love of discussion, there could be another reason to decide to lighten the colors of the profiles: they are nearly always traced on a white background, so, for contrast, they could be perceived as darker than the original colors.

Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: