Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Tapani's profiles of Il-4
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 01:35:20 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Tapani's profiles of Il-4  (Read 35388 times)
learstang

« Reply #30 on: November 08, 2012, 05:35:08 PM »

Yes, they're the same people Massimo.  I suppose if they made the Il-4 it would also be in 1/48th scale, like their Tu-2 (anybody here actually seen one in person; the kit, not the actual aeroplane?).  I'd rather it were in 1/72nd scale, my much-preferred scale, but it would be nice to see a reasonably accurate Il-4 in any scale.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: November 09, 2012, 07:20:11 AM »

I agree, 1/72 is more important for large planes. Who knows if they will scale down their Tu-2 some day?
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #32 on: December 17, 2012, 09:13:22 PM »

Hi,
Tapani has made some new 3-views drawings of DB-3:

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/db3-il4/tapanidb3/1red.htm

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/db3-il4/tapanidb3/db-11story.htm

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #33 on: December 17, 2012, 09:25:27 PM »

Very nice, Massimo, thank you for posting these!  Regarding the Il-4, it looks like Roll Models have the old Goffy resin upgrade set for the Zvezda kit (at least they've charged me for it, which hopefully means it's on its way).  I'll post some comments on it when I receive it, either here or on another thread.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #34 on: December 17, 2012, 10:39:18 PM »

and again "hypothetical" AMT-1 as early as 1941? Huh  How do you explain it?  Why light brown and not something else?

I think I can see a red star on the wing upper surface???

Why light blue undersides if plane was originally painted overall light gray or silver??

Regards,
KL

« Last Edit: December 17, 2012, 10:42:47 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2012, 08:02:08 AM »

Hi,
if it's not some light brown similar to AMT-1, then make a more likely hypothesis, please. Take in account that it looks matt.
The undersurfaces could also be silver or grey.
Hi Jason, I've seen some photos of that set, looks able to give some improvement on the engines and landing gear. The set for the cockpit results out of production.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2012, 08:14:26 PM »

if it's not some light brown similar to AMT-1, then make a more likely hypothesis, please.

Hi Massimo,
the subject is poorly researched.  Try first to answer:  Who, when, where?
What unit?  How were painted other planes in that unit?  What airfield?  Other planes at the same airfield? 
When you answer some of these questions we may start with hypotheses.
There must be more than one photo of this plane - German tourist usually took more than one low-rez photo...

Take in account that it looks matt.

Yes, I can see that, but a better photo would be more convincing.
It took me a lot of time and effort to convince you that luster (glossy vs.matt) is an important property for Soviet paints.  Not so long ago, you wrote on this forum that both AII and AMT paints were "semi-gloss"...  Wink

The undersurfaces could also be silver or grey.

Undersides were silver or grey!!!  Light blue is very unlikely...

Regards,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2012, 11:07:31 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
unfortunately, at present time there is only this photo available, despite our research. If you find informations, please let me know.
The original painting of DB-3 was nearly always silver, so it's likely that this color was preserved.
About the finish of AMT, the articles of Orlov on M-Hobby gave FS numbers starting with 2 for AMT paints and with 3 for A-m paints. As you know, in the FS catalogue 2 is for semigloss  (or semimatt if you prefer) and 3 for matt.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #38 on: December 23, 2012, 12:06:39 PM »

Hi,
I've uploaded another profile of Tapani:

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/db3-il4/tapanidb3/4black-mtap1.htm
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #39 on: December 23, 2012, 06:08:57 PM »

Hi Massimo,
DB-3T should be gray, not silver.
Most likely only planes made in 1939 were silver.  Planes made in 1937/38 and 1940 were gray.
Approx 2/3rds of all DB-3s were made in 1939, but all 97 DB-3Ts were made in 1938.
HTH,
KL

PS:  why don't you post plane photos first, discuss them, and then draw profiles? 
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: December 23, 2012, 09:20:06 PM »

Hi,
I have seen only the prototype of DB-3T painted grey, all other ones were clearly silver. You can see the photos.

If you find photos of DB-3 /DB-3F in grey overall, please let me know, they worth a profile.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #41 on: December 24, 2012, 08:28:13 AM »

Hi Massimo,
you have probably forgotten our discussion about SB bombers:  silver AE-8 hasn't been produced till late 1938 and it was used only during 1939.

At the time when DB-3Ts were made, silver AE-8 didn't exist..  Grin

Waving with photos will not help - it is very hard, usually impossible to distinguish light gray AE-9 from metallic white AE-8 on B/W photos...  Roll Eyes

IMHO following two planes are CLEARLY light gray:

Hope this helps,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: December 24, 2012, 08:44:16 AM »

Hi Konstantin,
I don't think at all. Your information is probably relative to SB, but photos of SB show clearly the difference between grey planes and silver planes, so there is not any reason to think that grey and silver are undistinguishable on DB-3s. 
In any case, the profile represents the plane how it appears on the photo.
Regards
Massimo
B_Realistic

« Reply #43 on: December 24, 2012, 09:11:40 AM »

They look definetly NMF and not grey.
Saivila

« Reply #44 on: December 24, 2012, 10:07:40 AM »

Number 11 looks silver on some frames on this collage, and perhaps grey on some others.
But it's definetly alumine painted, no matter any dates. Just like all Finnish captured and
shot down Db:s during a winter war.

Sb:s are different case.

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/db3-il4/tapani/shining-red11.htm

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: