Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
new page on Il-2M
Sovietwarplanes
April 16, 2024, 11:15:00 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: new page on Il-2M  (Read 43141 times)
learstang

« Reply #30 on: February 01, 2013, 04:04:10 AM »

That white lightning looks like the marking on the starboard side of the fuselage of the (in)famous "White 24".  White 24 was with the 8th GvSHAP, Black Sea Fleet, I believe.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2013, 05:47:37 AM »

Belgorod should be close to Kursk, and the date looks compatible with the famous battle. was 800th ShAP utilized in that battle?
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #32 on: February 01, 2013, 07:22:49 AM »

Belgorod should be close to Kursk, and the date looks compatible with the famous battle. was 800th ShAP utilized in that battle?

Yes it was, check here http://www.allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/struct/p/shap800.dat

За боевые отличия, стойкость и массовый героизм личного состава, проявленные в Курской битве и в сражениях на Правобережной Украине, Приказом НКО СССР No. 016 от 05.02.44 г. преобразован в 144 гшап

HTH,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #33 on: February 01, 2013, 08:09:53 AM »

Thank you. Are there other known photos of planes of this unit with these marks in 1942/43? I've only photos of planes with similar marks in 1944/45.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #34 on: February 01, 2013, 11:51:03 PM »

No, I couldn't find any 800th shap Il-2 photos from 1943...  Undecided

This particular regiment had changed name twice during the GPW:  it started war as 226th sbap with Su-2s

In 1942 226 sbap was reformed and renumbered as 800 shap.  In October 1942 first UBT armed Il-2 twoseaters made at Zavod 30 were tested by 800 shap.  First combat use of series UBT armed Il-2s occured on Oct 30, 1942.
In 1944, 800 shap was promoted to Guards 144th gshap.  144th gshap continued to use lightning as regimental marking:

HTH,
KL

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #35 on: February 02, 2013, 06:55:05 AM »

Hi Konstantin, that's interesting. Thank you for the answer.
The last photo of the post is not visible.
The photo of the pilot is interesting because shows a straight winger of late 1943, probably with three shades camo, but unfortunately it's by far unsufficient for a profile.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #36 on: February 11, 2013, 04:40:40 PM »

Another one.

This plane seems to show the characteristic livery of planes built in Zavod 1 (see below) on its rudder. The plane is probably photographed in mid 1943, and has wooden wings as all those built in Zavod 1 at this time.
The number 18 is overposed to a light band of unknown color, certainly an unit marking. Besides a small red (?) cap with white outline looks visible on the rudder.
The trim fences of the rudder and elevators are painted white.
The plane is certainly an Il-2M because the rear UBT is clearly visible, but the German soldiers cover the canopy; it seems that the rear section was removed to allow a greater field of fire.

Jason, do you want it for the book?
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #37 on: February 11, 2013, 06:08:59 PM »

Yes, Massimo; I like the tail markings.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
B_Realistic

« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2013, 09:47:15 AM »

@Jason
Massimo has given you many profiles. Cheesy
Your book is almost an encyclopedia. Grin
learstang

« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2013, 05:47:51 PM »

@Jason
Massimo has given you many profiles. Cheesy
Your book is almost an encyclopedia. Grin

Michel, that's kind of the idea - to have a book that can serve as a single reference for Shturmovik modellers.  At least I hope!  And yes, Massimo has given me many very nice profiles!  If nothing else, my book will have lots of nice profiles.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2013, 09:46:20 PM »

Those planes share a connon unit mark well visible on the tail of n.15.

This plane shows the typicaltail wheel fairing of planes built in Zavod 1, characterized by wooden wings and a sharp and well contrasted camo on the rear fuselage, tail and wings.

The photo below suggest that the plane is a late production straight-winged one.

The spinner, differently than the one of the closer plane, looks black and white. Perhaps plane n.15 had small stars on the front of the engine nacelles as for the closer plane.

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #41 on: February 13, 2013, 09:50:07 PM »

Another line of late type Il-2M with 'small' stars, presumably built by Z.30 with wooden wing consoles.
The long radio mast suggests that the planes were built in fall 1943. The date of the photo is unknown.
The image shows that the first and third planes wear the 1st pattern of August 1943, while the second and fourth plane wear the second variant of the camouflage.
Plane n. double 17 has a leather/tissue boot on its tail wheel, supporting the idea that it was built by Z.30.

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 02:02:02 PM »

Hi,
I've added many works during last months.
Jason, I'll send to you the high resolution new and updated files when you want.

Here is a revision of a previous one, thanks to inputs from Vitaliy Timoshenko.

Better screenshots

Four screenshots of the takeoff of an Il-2M flown by Vasilin Ivan, the regimental commander of 617th ShAP. The plane is entitled to Suvorov, the great Russian strategist of the 19th century. The plane is clearly a straight-winger with short radio mast and the post-August camouflage and markings. The images are probably of the late summer/fall of 1943.

On the background, we see a later model with the higher radio mast (800 mm instead of 350) introduced into production around September or October 1943.

The fingernail shape of the fairing of the tail wheel is noteworty; after the summer 1943, it became characteristic of the planes built in Zavod 1. The most part of the planes visible in a video of this unit look of Z.1 also because of the very large stars.

The colors of the cap on the tail and of the spinner are reported by veterans:

orange tail cap (and, probably, rear part of the spinner) as standard for 617th ShAP;
1st Squadron - red spinner tip
2nd squadron- Huh
3rd Squadron - yellow spinner tip.
Note the light brown repainting at the base of the stabilizer, common to many planes of the unit; they could be due to the deletion of a previous marking.

Lacking of bort numbers, it is likely that the inscription was painted on both sides to make the commander's plane more recognizable.

Regards
Massimo
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:05:02 PM by Massimo Tessitori » Logged
learstang

« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 05:23:21 PM »

Massimo, that's a very interesting profile, especially with the orange markings. And yes, I would like a copy of any new Il-2 profiles you've done. Thank you!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 10:06:48 PM »

Hi Massimo,
very attractive camouflage, especially that orange color. What it was?
Or. (oranzhevyi) Nitrocellulosic lacquer from 1940 (Marking and livery colors) or MV-3, MV-4 for inscriptions on engines (Interior colors) or custom mix of A-6 gloss yellow oil enamel for fuel tanks and pipes and A-13 gloss red oil enamel for inert gas and fire extinguishers (both also Interior colors)?

66misos

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: