Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Yak-23 cockpit colors
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:09:00 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  
Author Topic: Yak-23 cockpit colors  (Read 44878 times)
Pete57

« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2013, 09:37:45 AM »

Massimo,

I agree with you and indeed this forum has provided long sought after (by me, at least) information Smiley that, to an extent, make up for Akanihin's lack of information.

KL,

Thanks for the information. Smiley Smiley Smiley

It appears that, so far as the Yak-23 is concerned, the DM Green was used, within  the cockpit, in those areas where the sun reflection could be an issue, i.e. instrument panel and the top of the side consoles which - I agree with you - appear to have been originally painted green. Was this, to your knowledge, OKB Yakovlev's and Lisunov's practice only or did it extend also to the other aircraft manufacturers?

Regards,

Pete57

Pete57
KL

« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2013, 09:14:28 PM »

According to Vahlamov and Orlov, dark green replaced steel gray as cockpit colour in late 1940es.  Dark green was used as cockpit colour on Tupolev's bombers too.
Only in early 1960es each OKB started to use their own colours:  Mig started with turquoise blue-green, Yakovlev with gray-green, Mil with light blue etc.
HTH,
KL
Pete57

« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2013, 08:15:23 AM »

Thanks Konstantin,

According to Vahlamov and Orlov, dark green replaced steel gray as cockpit colour in late 1940es.

Puzzling...Huh

The 1953 pictures of NKPAF Lt. No Kum Sok's MiG-15 Bis' cockpit, as well as those of the early 50's La-15s' cockpit come to mind: although they were b/w, the general color appeared definitely light, thus ruling out dark green...

Perhaps manufacturers were instructed to use up their stocks of grey (that would, to an extent, explain the grey / dark green cockpits) - or was grey still used at field-level repair?

Unless it was a situation like in wartime America where, even though the specifications called for the use of the specific Interior Green ANA 611 color, after 1943, aircraft manufacturer's kept on using their own green's (or their paint subcontractors') which I find unlikely, though, given how regulations were probably more strictly enforced in the late 40's / early 50's USSR than they were in wartime America...

Your thoughts?

Best regards,

Pete57

Pete57
KL

« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2013, 07:03:22 PM »

Sorry, my mistake!  Vahlamov and Orlov only have "late 1940" as the "beginning of use".  They didn't say that dark green replaced gray A-14...  Embarrassed

1950es are not my field of expertize  Lips Sealed but I know for sure that gray was widely used as cockpit colour in trainers and sport planes during 1950es.  It looks that both dark green and gray were in use during 1950es; green was used more for larger multi-engine planes (transports, passenger planes and bombers) while gray was usually used for smaller single-engine planes.  But this should be confirmed at Russian forums...

Cheers,
KL  
Pete57

« Reply #34 on: March 08, 2013, 08:08:58 AM »

1950es are not my field of expertize  Lips Sealed

Konstantin,

For someone whose field of expertise are not the 50es, you sure provided me with LOTS OF MIGHTY USEFUL INFORMATION!  Smiley Smiley Smiley

With it, I can now tackle most present and future Soviet kits of the late 40es / early 50es, without fear of a major screw-up...well, at least so far as interior colors are concerned  Wink

TDH  Grin

Pete57

Pete57
KL

« Reply #35 on: March 08, 2013, 07:14:35 PM »

As a proof that bombers had dark green cockpit check Il-28 walkaround at http://apolo.koprivnice.org/walkarounds/Il-28/Il-28.htm
most of the cockpit (including floor) was covered with dark green quilted material.  Dark green paint was used on few exposed metal surfaces.  Pilots seat was gray...

Yak-18A cockpit

Mig-17 cockpit

HTH,
KL
Pete57

« Reply #36 on: September 03, 2013, 05:51:14 PM »

More museum exhibits:

OKB Yakovlev/Zadorozhni Museum Yak-23 two-seater; most likely repainted in 1960es or 1970es - colour looks like Yak-52 cockpit colour.  Probably not authentic!!!

I'm briefly resurrecting this thread for a couple of questions

Does anybody know if this Yak-52 cockpit color applies to the Yak-30/32 trainers also(Amodel kits)? And if yes, would it apply to the cockpit only or to all the interior surfaces?

Also, does anybody know the official denomination and / or any model-paint equivalent?

Thanks & regards,

Pete57
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 05:55:11 PM by Pete57 » Logged

Pete57
KL

« Reply #37 on: September 04, 2013, 07:04:16 PM »

IMHO, gray-green is colour used for cockpits of Yak military planes in 1970es and later, like Yak-38 - NOT relevant for Yak-30.

Original Yak-30 cockpit:

monino Yak-30:

Yak-30 restored to flying condition:

from  http://rdce.livejournal.com/26592.html

Pete57

« Reply #38 on: September 06, 2013, 07:24:15 PM »

KL,

Thanks for the info.

But then, would the Yak-30/32's cockpit grey (that other Russian walkarounds show to have been used also inside the nose and main l/g bays, inner portion of the doors, struts and wheel-hubs) be the A-14, ,i.e. could this paint have still been in use in the early 60's?

And if not, what would this paint be?

On a slightly different subject, I've bumped into a Russian web-site that deals with the colors of the VVS jets in the 50's http://www.wunderwaffe.narod.ru/Magazine/AK/2006_06/06.htm that may be of interest to you (the Google translation, with its known limits, has provided useful ones - at least to me Wink )

Regards,

Pete57

Pete57
KL

« Reply #39 on: September 07, 2013, 02:52:37 AM »

Cockpits of primary trainers and sport planes were gray in 1970es and 1980es.  Gray interior colour can be still seen today in many Yak-52s.  Just Google images for як-52 кабина   Smiley

In 1960es paint designations were standardised - new system designations consisted of abbreviations for paint type and numbers that described some properties.  Oil paints code was MA, Alkyd paint's code was GF etc...  A-14 and A14f probably remained in production, but under new designations.

HTH,
KL
Pete57

« Reply #40 on: September 23, 2013, 08:42:43 PM »

Thanks KL,

Good info and sorry 'bout the late reply - been really busy lately Cry

Regards,

Pete57

Pete57
Pete57

« Reply #41 on: February 07, 2020, 03:50:29 PM »

I'd like to resurrect this thread, in order to share some new info on this specific subject.

At the link https://igor113.livejournal.com/933457.html, there's a mighty interesting pic of 'Yevgeny' holding an un-restored panel of the only preserved Yak-23UTI

It clearly shows the interior was painted with two, different layers of green paint and/or primer.

A well-known article by Vakhlamov & Orlov may cast some light on the use of green primers by the Soviet Aviation Industry.

Google translated '...The colors of green HVE-4 and light gray-blue HVE-16 were the same as for ALG-4 (or A-24g - the color of both corresponds to FS 14151) and ALG-16, respectively. ...'

Interestingly, according to several sources, FS34151 is the FS595B equivalent of the wartime Interior Green ANA 611, so ALG-4 would be nothing but a 'gloss' IG ANA 611.

So, ALG-4 could be one of the two green's (the lighter one?) in the panel Yevgeny is holding...

Best regards.

Pete57
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #42 on: February 07, 2020, 06:14:11 PM »

Good information, Pete, and a very useful link for Yak-23 details - wow! Thank you very much!

John
Pete57

« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2020, 07:31:39 PM »

Glad to be of help, John.

Looking again at this walkaround, the general cockpit color of the preserved Yak-23UTI, which previously in this thread, was thought to possibly be the famed grey-green DK-23 (a.k.a. A-23m) of Yak-11 fame, seems now to be more on the green side (given the light conditions) and not unlike the color in the Polish Yak-23's cockpit before restoration.

Perhaps, the UV light, after a prolonged period of time, has caused the original green to chalks and fade, unlike the green inside the panel that, being far less exposed to said light, is much darker and closer to the original color.

Just my 2 cents...

Regards.

Pete57
Pages: 1 2 [3]
  Print  

Jump to: