Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Silver Il-2?
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 10:39:15 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  
Author Topic: Silver Il-2?  (Read 36339 times)
KL

« Reply #15 on: June 01, 2014, 10:58:08 PM »

Hi Massimo,
not bad, but it looks to gray or too dark for what I like to call "metallic white".

I would make it lighter and add more and stronger reflections.  Real Soviet silver is like mirror.
Undersides should be lighter blue, ie. AII Light Blue as seen in Vesivehma.  December 1941 is too early for AMT-7...

Regards,
KL
« Last Edit: June 01, 2014, 10:59:55 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 08:42:04 AM »

Hi,
hi Walker,
beautiful photo. It's interesting to see that the truck is under the same light, but doesn't shine.
Hi Konstantin,
ok, lighter shades.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #17 on: June 02, 2014, 10:25:22 AM »

Hi Massimo,
probably shadows could be darker, while reflections/shining could be more bright/white. Now it looks like semi-gloss light grey.
Propeller spinner of the "silver" Il-2 no. "2" has level of shinning different from the (near) fuselage. Could it be white or light blue?
Regarding colorized photo - after initial euphoria there is a bit disillusion about quality of the photo. There is a lot of compression artifacts with minimum details, completely different league from VVS Bf-109G2. If I compare them to plastic kits, Bf-109G2 would be like Tamiya with Aires, Eduard aftermarket add-ons while this Il-2 "2" would by like low-end shortrun. Anyhow I am curious how successful I will be with "silver" surface. Wink
Regards,
    66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: June 02, 2014, 01:30:22 PM »

Hi Misos,
yes, but it depends on the background. If silver reflects a sunny day there will be more contrast than reflecting a covered day where the snowy background and the cloudy sky can barely be distinguished. So, you can consider this as the same plane in a cloudy day.
The spinner... I've suspected the same, but probably it depends on the fact that the spinner has a different inclination (when seen from above) and isn't reflecting the low sun.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #19 on: June 02, 2014, 08:45:35 PM »

Hi Massimo,
light blue on wing undersides and landing gear nacelle is excellent.  IMHO, fuselage underside blue still looks dark (although in shadow, it should be similar to wing underside).

Silver looks good if you know that the plane was supposed to be silver; otherwise it looks almost as standard white winter camouflage.   Lips Sealed  So, I was probably wrong with lighter gray...  (I am not an artist)

Maybe something like this:

If this helps, FS 17178 is fairly close to AII Aluminium.
Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #20 on: June 02, 2014, 10:26:12 PM »

Hi Konstantin,
I've modified again. Hopefully for the last time.
The blue of the undersurfaces is of two different shades, presumably AII blue for wooden parts and A-18f for metallic ones. The difference is visible on Il-2s of 1941 and on MiG-3s.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #21 on: June 03, 2014, 08:58:54 PM »

Musa, what's that pipe on the starboard side of the engine on that photograph you posted? I've never seen anything like that before on an Il-2. Anybody have any ideas? By the way, great-looking profile, Massimo!

Regards,

Jason
« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:00:50 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
KL

« Reply #22 on: June 03, 2014, 09:22:00 PM »

According to http://www.allaces.ru/cgi-bin/s2.cgi/sssr/struct/p/shap65.dat
65 shap was divided in two (not clear when, probably in summer 1941), two squadrons commanded by Vitruk were armed with Il-2s and sent to Moscow.  Remaining part was active on the Karelian Front. Most likely it was armed with I-15bis shturmovics.

Thanks for the photo Musa!  It looks the two photos were taken on same occasion, could be the same plane  Huh

Wondering, maybe these are 120 iap MiG-3s photographed on the same day?

« Last Edit: June 03, 2014, 09:58:34 PM by KL » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #23 on: June 03, 2014, 10:38:46 PM »

Hi,
the Il-2 could be the same plane.
About the MiG-3s: I don't think, at last for the last one. White MiGs of 120 IAP had a number on their fin, at least in March .

Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #24 on: June 04, 2014, 05:32:48 AM »

Hi,
interesting replies at Airforce.ru forum on my question "Il-2 white or silver?":

Alex: "Оранжевый. К фото причастен человек Заика - там написано."
          Orange. Man Zaika (Bunny?) involved in the photo - it is written there.

alnik: "Как бронекорпус может быть "алюминиевым"? Белый однозначно. Без вариантов. А при желании-хоть фиолетовым можно назвать."
         How the hull/fuselage can be "aluminum"? White unequivocally. No options. And if you want it can be even violet.

regards,
   66misos

learstang

« Reply #25 on: June 04, 2014, 05:54:22 AM »

I vote for orange. Or violet (lavender, maybe?).

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
66misos

« Reply #26 on: June 04, 2014, 06:55:50 AM »

Hi,
here is fast colorizing according to the "specification"  Wink:

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

66misos

learstang

« Reply #27 on: June 04, 2014, 07:00:21 AM »

That's it, that's perfect! The Germans were laughing so hard they couldn't shoot at it!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: June 04, 2014, 07:12:00 AM »

Hi Misos,
funny enough, but rather prejudicial as answers.
Regards
Massimo
Walker

« Reply #29 on: June 04, 2014, 07:45:34 AM »

Musa, what's that pipe on the starboard side of the engine on that photograph you posted? I've never seen anything like that before on an Il-2.

It's Pitot tube.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6
  Print  

Jump to: