Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
"Field mod" 2-seater Il-2's?
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 08:36:13 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: "Field mod" 2-seater Il-2's?  (Read 6140 times)
huevans

« on: May 07, 2007, 12:22:28 AM »

Interested in finding out about the field mod where the VVS added a rear gunner with a ShKAS to the 1-seater 1942 Il-2. AFAIK, these first came into being around the time and area of the big Stalingrad battles. But I'm pretty much guessing.

Can anyone give me any ideas about how many were made and when they started to come into service?

Spassiba.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: May 07, 2007, 12:57:09 PM »

Hi, Smiley
I remember that something was written on Il-2 In Action. Did you read it already?
Massimo
huevans

« Reply #2 on: May 07, 2007, 02:29:54 PM »

No, that publication was OOP before I got interested in this area. Squadron books - particularly older ones - may not be all that reliable anyway.
marluc

« Reply #3 on: May 07, 2007, 04:43:12 PM »

Huevans:

This is a a summary extracted from "Il-2 Stormovik In Action":
The units of the 208th and 637th Assault Air Divisions (17th Air Army,Southwestern front) converted 66 Il-2?s into two seat configuration during the Autumn of 1942,they saw heavy combat on the Stalingrad front.
According to this book,there are several units that made the conversion to its planes around the same time.If you want an extended summary.just let me know.See you:

Martin 
huevans

« Reply #4 on: May 07, 2007, 09:21:49 PM »

Thanks, Martin. I really just want to get an idea of the extent of the conversions - i.e whether it was just Stalingrad and a couple of ShAD's or whether it was more widespread.
marluc

« Reply #5 on: May 08, 2007, 02:31:25 AM »

Huevans:

According to the "In Action" book,the conversions were made by several units in another front,but doesn`t specifiy time or quantity.I`ll check the book again.See you:

Martin
marluc

« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2007, 05:33:14 AM »

Huevans:
Here is more information extracted from "In Action" book:

In the 198th Assault Aviation Regiment,the regimental engineering officer calculated that the change in the center of gravity was acceptable.He then cut a semicircular hole in the rear of the canopy and improvised a gunner?s position,armed with a 7,62 mm machine gun..Other regiments,such as 57th Assault Regiment made the same field conversion with a ShKAS 7,62 mm and often a modified turret ring taken from a Polikarpov R-5.The 243rd Assault Aviation Division introduced rear gun Il-2 into combat as soon the unit became active in the Northwestern front in June of 1942.The conversion of single seat Il-2 continued in various Air Army depots even after the delivery of Il-2M from the factory.

I hope this will be helpful to you.See you:
Martin
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: