Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 G.A. Rechkalov
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 11:11:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 G.A. Rechkalov  (Read 43300 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: April 27, 2015, 10:06:51 PM »

Hi,
I just found this photo on the net:

I have not seen it yet.

Compare number of victory starlets and their position with those on the well-known P-39N S/N: 42-8747:

or with P-39Q-15 S/N: 44-2547 (some say that it is the same P-39N S/N: 42-8747 but with replaced tail):

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 27, 2015, 10:46:03 PM »

Hi Misos,
seems that the new photo is of the same plane, with a few victories more.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2015, 04:33:42 PM »

Hi Massimo,
all photos here in the middle and on the left show the same aircraft - P-39N-0 s/n 42-8747:

According to the E.P. from redbanner.co.uk (for some reason the article is removed from there):
"Perhaps most importantly - and surely most frsutratingly-- the Regiemental records of the 16 GvIAP do not mention the tactical number carried by 42-8747. Is one to assume, then, that it did not feature one? Aircraft in VVS service were seen without a tactical number, but such cases were rare.
Rechkalov's last Airacobra was a P-39Q-15 model, s/n 44-2547 and this carried-- as confirmed by Regimental documents-- the most curious "tactical number" of "White RGA".
"
Something like here:

Interestingly victory starlets on the front left fuselage looks very same like those on P-39N-0 s/n 42-8747, really almost like front part of Cobra from N-0 version and rear part (or only tail) from Q-15 version Huh
Regards,
   66misos
« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 04:35:36 PM by 66misos » Logged

Flavio

« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2015, 07:42:31 PM »

Hi all,

until now many sources state that Rechkalov flew two Airacobras during 1944: P-39N 42-8747 and  P-39Q 44-2547. According to the existing photos, these planes were always depicted with identical victory markings: to explain this, some people have suggested the hypothesis that the panel with kill board was moved from one plane to the other.

I made a long research about this P-39 and a detailed analysis of photographic evidences. In my opinion however, I think that Rechkalov actually flew the P-39N only. This plane however displayed a very strange feature (at least from July ?44 onwards): the serial number under the cockpit door was 42-8747, while, at the same time, the serial number on the tail read ?42547?.The only plausible explanation for this unique anomaly was what suggests by someone, the change of the whole tail unit (or the fixed part only) using spare parts from the P-39Q ?44-2547? (or 44-25xx).

Just for example I compared the following photos by overlaying. The matching is almost perfect; the minimal difference is only due to the slight different angle when the shots were made. All the details of the person partially visible in the left side of photo on the right (such as the cap, military ranks on shoulder,  medals,  the light corner of the frontal pocket?) match with those of Major B. Glinka on left photo. Moreover the prospective of the plane resulting on the overlaying is absolutely respected. It would be very difficult if these two photos were referring to two different situations (planes).

Note moreover on photo 2, how dark is the tail of the plane compared with the fuselage; it really seems just changed.

Flavio

« Last Edit: April 28, 2015, 07:53:33 PM by Flavio » Logged
66misos

« Reply #4 on: April 29, 2015, 09:01:38 AM »

Hi Flavio,
excellent work!

Here is nicely visible how the tail was fixed to the fuselage:

And here we can see how L-L Cobras were transported to SU - wings and tail remowed:

So fixing/assembling the tail was standard procedure. And I would say that replacing could be via the same procedure.

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 29, 2015, 10:15:49 PM »

Hi Misos, hi Flavio,
an original yellow number with black outline... interesting. I wonder if examples of yellow spinners and star outlines did exist too.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #6 on: April 30, 2015, 08:56:32 PM »

Hi Massimo,
that numer "23" was originaly probably white or silver with red outline:

regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 30, 2015, 10:14:40 PM »

Hi Misos,
why do you think that the colors of the number have changed so much?
The white and red of the stars aren't much altered.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2015, 09:13:06 AM »

Hi Massimo,
it was long time in the watter. Compare color with that corroded metal frame on the right. But, of course, I can be wrong.

Hi Flavio,
where is this picture from?

I found it a yeas ago in E.P. article about Rechkalov (image courtesy of Flavio Silvestri).

I think that this is the same old N-version (picture provided by forum member at airforce.ru):

I do not know, but those additional starlets (in blue background) looks like retouch Huh
Regards,
  66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2015, 09:32:59 AM »

Hi Misos,
All starlets deformed in the same way... very likely!
Regards
Massimo
Flavio

« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2015, 10:58:41 AM »

Hi Flavio,
where is this picture from?

I found it a yeas ago in E.P. article about Rechkalov (image courtesy of Flavio Silvestri).

This picture was published on Czech magazine "Plastik Kit Revue" n?42 (1995). It is part of an article by Frantysek Smyra and Milos Vestsik about 9.GIAD (Zahadna Cobra). Unfortunately I don't speak the Language so I am not able to understand it. Any way I tried to keep in contact with the authors in the past (no results), hoping to know more about this picture. I suspect in fact this is part of a series of photos, that (if revealed), can be very usefull for our research.

Flavio
66misos

« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2015, 06:34:06 PM »

Hi Flavio,
I have that magazin at home, I found that photo there Cheesy Thanks a lot for refference, I understand Czech very well.

But there is no new info, even profile of Pokryshkin's "Sotka" is painted there with "Rechkalov's" starlets on the front fuselage. Sad
Regards,
   66misos

66misos

« Reply #12 on: May 03, 2015, 05:25:53 PM »

Hi,
I used Flavio's method but with the slightly bigger photo from above:

...The matching is almost perfect; the minimal difference is only due to the slight different angle when the shots were made. All the details of the person partially visible in the left side of photo on the right (such as the cap, military ranks on shoulder,  medals,  the light corner of the frontal pocket?) match with those of Major B. Glinka on left photo. Moreover the prospective of the plane resulting on the overlaying is absolutely respected. It would be very difficult if these two photos were referring to two different situations (planes).

IMHO those two photos were made during one photo session after July 1st, 1944 when Rechkalov was awarded with the second HSU (48 individual and 6 group victories, airaces.narod.ru), but before July 14th, 1944, when B.B.Glinka (on the right side on photo#1) was shot down and spent next months in the hospital.
Regards,
  66misos

Flavio

« Reply #13 on: May 03, 2015, 08:56:45 PM »

Hi 66Misos,

could be interesting if someone know how to contact the authors of the article on PKR Frantysek Smyra and Milos Vestsik; they could have other similar photos.

Flavio
66misos

« Reply #14 on: May 04, 2015, 09:56:21 AM »

Hi Flavio,
I laready wrote to M.Vestsik, but no response until now.
However, in the meantime, another very interesting picture posted by one forum member in the discussion at airforce.ru:

It is another photo from the same celebrating photo session - and serial number on the tail again starts with the digit "4".
Regards,
   66misos

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5
  Print  

Jump to: