Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
P-39 G.A. Rechkalov
Sovietwarplanes
March 19, 2024, 07:14:21 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  
Author Topic: P-39 G.A. Rechkalov  (Read 43291 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #45 on: July 13, 2015, 08:10:41 PM »

Hi,
thank you a lot for your comments. 3-view picture in my Reply #42 above is corrected now.

Massimo, I saw it on some photos, but in this case it was more my mistake, making them too bright.
KL, yes, white trim should be thicker, I corrected it.

Regards,
  66misos
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:14:57 PM by 66misos » Logged

66misos

« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 05:13:55 PM »

Hi,
this I found in the Sukhov's memoirs book Eskadrilja vedet boi (The squadron is fighting):

"Alexander Ivanovich came. Klubov's Aircraft mechanic Gregory Shevchuk reported him:
- Fighter is deformed, the fuselage is formed like "accordion", tip bent, torn flap holes ...
Klubov, in a wet tunic with salt stains, jumped off the plane and also surprisingly stares at his plane:
- Wow, how how twisted is overseas technology! I did not think that the plane will fail... said Klubov with smile.
Now it was clear why this type looked strangely - fuselage was deformed, antenna gone, the transmitter has moved from its place, the hellish congestion even cut the bolts...
End of august 1943.
Rechkalov was a bit unlucky. He hit "Ju-87", but when flying away from attacked plane, he pulled on the stick too much, very sharply and his "Cobra" deformed."

e.g. Klubov's and Rechkalov's Cobras were deformed by overload during wild flying maneuvers.
Although Sukhov's memoirs do not 100% confirm it, they at least support theory about the replacement of the tail and/or the reinforcement of the rear fuselage on the Rechkalov's Cobra.
Regards,
   66misos

« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 07:58:25 PM by 66misos » Logged

Flavio

« Reply #47 on: August 24, 2015, 03:37:56 PM »

Hi 66misos,

the information you found is very usefull. Unfortunately however the episode occurred at the end of August 1943, 11 months earlier compared to the photo session of P-39N "RGA"; probably a long time for a single plane used by Rechkalov.

Have a look to russian forum http://vif2ne.ru/nvi/forum/0/0.htm ; it seems a new photo about Rechkalov has came to the light.

Flavio
KL

« Reply #48 on: August 25, 2015, 01:46:09 AM »

Hi Flavio,
can you please post new photo on this forum?

It looks from later discussion that the photo was taken in summer 1944, we'll see if experts can agree...

Regards,
KL
66misos

« Reply #49 on: August 25, 2015, 04:16:19 PM »

Hi,
here is that photo:

Not very much visible from Rechkalov's Cobra. However, red victory starlets without white outline are visible behind the head of the third guy from the left, so this picture can be dated to July/August 1844 like this one:

Regards,
  66misos

PS: Someone has really strange sense of humor Huh

KL

« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2015, 02:09:16 AM »

Not very much visible from Rechkalov's Cobra. However, red victory starlets without white outline are visible behind the head of the third guy from the left, so this picture can be dated to July/August 1844 like this one:

Thanks Misos,

It isn't July/August... it is almost certainly June 1944.  Several photo sessions were made at the airfield with caponiers covered in sodding.  Either Stefaneshti (first half of June) or Todirani (second half of June) airfields, more likely Stefaneshti.

For those who didn't read Tabachenko's book:  at the beginning of July, Pokrishkin's 9 giad was transferred from 2nd Ukrainian Front to 1st Ukranian Front.
First week or so in July, 9 giad regiments changed several airfields to mask its movement, and then from mid July 9 giad has been stationed at the Mihaluvka airbase. There were NO caponiers at Mihaluvka airfields.....

HTH,
KL
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 02:40:19 AM by KL » Logged
Flavio

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 06:17:10 PM »

I found another version of this photo:

Unfortunately the quality is very bad and the nose of the plane is cropped.
Just usefull to confirm the red victory starlets without white border.

Flavio
Flavio

« Reply #52 on: January 10, 2016, 12:01:58 AM »

New image of P-39N 42-8747 with Pokryshkin at the control (scroll down the page: http://www.sevmb.com/recomend/kalendar/p_1_at794_id757/ )

Here the wing cannon are clearly visible.

Flavio
KL

« Reply #53 on: June 11, 2016, 05:53:18 AM »

New, never seen before series of photos made in late August 1944 when Pokrishkin received his 3rd HSU gold star:

Film/photo correspondents:

When compared with the best profile made so far, by Misos

Photos above are made by the famous photo correspondent Arkadiy Shaihet.

The new images reveal following corrections:

- there are three dots after each RGA letter 
- fuselage star is much larger than original red star painted by Americans
- there are no remnants of the overpainted white disc around the fuselage star
- entire fuselage behind the engine might have been overpainted with paint darker than OD
- white line under the red tail pilotka should be wider

Hope Misos is still around...  Smiley

Regards,
KL
66misos

« Reply #54 on: June 11, 2016, 08:05:37 PM »

Hi KL,
thank you a lot for excelent photos. Shocked May I ask where are they from?
I am still around. But real life circumstancies have caused that I had to slow down my hobby activities.
Anyhow, these photos are well worth to reopen Rechkalov file Wink

The new images reveal following corrections:
- there are three dots after each RGA letter  
- fuselage star is much larger than original red star painted by Americans
- there are no remnants of the overpainted white disc around the fuselage star
- entire fuselage behind the engine might have been overpainted with paint darker than OD
- white line under the red tail pilotka should be wider

Here are my two cents:

- I would say that there are remnants of the overpainted white disc around the fuselage star, but much less prominent than on the left upperwing. Probably original blue disc was during repair oversprayed with some VVS green paint in the thin layer, not strong enough to completly cover blue color. And it is excactly there where one would expect blue disc (compare to the white disc on Sukhov's 50 bellow)
- letters RGA are closer to the horizontal stabilizer, half of the letter A is bellow its,
- not sure whether rudder is of lighter color than rest of the tail, or it is only a game of the light/shadow.

- note baggy panel around rivets lines (blue arrows) on the sides of the top arm of the star, compare it with the same area on Sukhov's 50,
- note repainting on the engine cover (red arrows),

These pictures really support (if not confirm) theory that whole rear part of Rechkalov's Cobra was substantially repaired and repainted. And fuselage red star was without blue disc while blue disc on the wing was kept there.
I will rework the profile of this Cobra after we come to consenzus about its new appearance.
Regards,
   66misos

PS:
Thank you for kind words Cheesy:
...the best profile made so far, by Misos
Regards,
KL
« Last Edit: June 11, 2016, 08:09:15 PM by 66misos » Logged

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #55 on: June 12, 2016, 01:26:46 PM »

Hi Misos,
I think that the spinner should be revised. In first place, I can't see any step between the spinner itself and the tube in front of it. Besides, I can't see any evidence that it was of different color than the nose or that it had a glossy finish.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #56 on: June 14, 2016, 08:22:07 AM »

Hi Massimo,
spinner is OK, there is a step, but photo is not sharp enough to show it clearly.
However, color of the spinner is a good question - it has the same shade of grey as the front fuselage. On the other side, the red star is brighter than the aft fuselage but the top of the tail is darker than rest of the tail, it looks like two different shades of the red color. Almost like in scale modeling - red airbrushed in the thin layer over white backround (e.g. original white star) is brighter than red airbrushed over dark backround (Olive Drab).
Regards,
   66misos

KL

« Reply #57 on: June 19, 2016, 01:00:00 AM »

I think that the spinner should be revised... I can't see any evidence that it was of different color than the nose or that it had a glossy finish.

For the given lighting conditions, film used by Shaihet had the same sensitivity for brownish OD and red colour... so the film produced same shade of gray for two colours...

We have discussed this many times: b/w photos cannot be used as evidence for any colour... Rechkalov's Airacoba could have been orange with green spinner and on b/w photo it would look the same as the real one which was brownish OD with the red spinner.

Quick recognition markings for 16 giap were red spinner AND red tail "pilotka cap".  This was established long time ago, probably in 1970es when memoirs of many pilots who flew with Pokrishkin were published.  Paintings by 104 giap pilot Zakalyuk confirm this:

Regards,
KL   

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #58 on: June 19, 2016, 12:37:56 PM »

Could be, but the red paint should be gloss while the OD should be matt, and we don't show any difference in shining, not only in shade. Please compare to how the shade of the fuselage star changes according to the curvature of the surface; it is completely different from the spinner.
Besides the red on the star and on the tail appear different. All this is seen not on one photo only, but on many ones.
So, I won't discuss that there are planes with red spinner on that unit, but the one on these photos doesn't seem so.
Regards
Massimo
66misos

« Reply #59 on: June 20, 2016, 06:46:52 AM »

Hi,
I asked Alex at VIF, owner of this photo (he has original, not retouched photo):

His answer was that on this particular bw photo there is no difference between front fuselage and spinner in terms of tonality.
I know that red spinner and top of the tail were recognition markings for 16 giap.

However, it seems that respective (partionally) missing regional marging was not so exeptional in 16 giad http://sovietwarplanes.com/board/index.php?topic=1367.30

"Concerning labeling/marking of the plane from a newsreel, it belongs to Dmitri Glinka from 100 GvIAP, note that the regiment belongs to 9th GvIAD and was supposed to have the symbol on the tail and spinner, but it had not!"

Regards,
   66misos

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5
  Print  

Jump to: