Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1/48 Modelsvit Yak-1b 1943 ''Normandie Niemen"
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:54:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print  
Author Topic: 1/48 Modelsvit Yak-1b 1943 ''Normandie Niemen"  (Read 18816 times)
KL

« Reply #15 on: June 15, 2016, 02:39:14 AM »

Hi Remco,

Yak-1 raised from the Krivoe Lake (Murmansk region) few years ago has been treated much more "professionally".  It's been properly conserved, partially restored and it is now displayed in Zadorozhniy museum near Moscow.

Photos of this plane are available all over the web:

https://www.drive2.com/c/2396853/

https://www.drive2.ru/c/2396877/

https://fotki.yandex.ru/users/b737/album/234686

Unfortunatelly no photos of the wheel wells and photo of the wheel covers is inconclusive.  The only useful, is the photo of the landing flaps:

Definitively "steel gray" A-14... because of this, I would use the same colour for cockpit and wheel wells...

Seat back armour is a difficult question... In 1940-41 it was definitively olive green - there are several I-153 and MiG-3 back armour plates with well preserved green paint.

On the other hand, back armour of the N-N Yak-3 (made in late 1944) which is preserved/displayed at Bourget museum is gray...

HTH,
KL
4bogreen

« Reply #16 on: July 12, 2016, 11:19:20 PM »

Hi guys!

Thanks for the huge help KL!! Once again, you put me on the right track.about the colors. I am very busy with the cockpit, and have a "beta-test" set up. Dry fit, to make shure everything is well....

Instrument panel is almost done!

Remco

On the bench,
-Eduard 1/48 Messerschmitt BF109E-4 ZG-1
-Eduard 1/48 Spitfire MK.Vb 57 GIAP, Kuban
4bogreen

« Reply #17 on: July 19, 2016, 10:29:36 AM »

Cockpit is finnished!!!

On the bench,
Basilisk

« Reply #18 on: July 19, 2016, 12:09:44 PM »

Looking very busy indeed. But why didn't you add the other coolant pipe on the right hand side? Also, I think you have the ruder pedals the wrong way round. If not, I have them wrong  Cry

I used this picture as a reference.

Cheers, Peter
4bogreen

« Reply #19 on: July 19, 2016, 04:14:03 PM »

Hi Peter,

The other coolant pipe is on the wing section (i will post a other photo of this). The pedals are indeed missing the pipes on the bottom of the pedal. A 0.3 mm wire will fixthat. No major surgery. On the top side, there is a leather belt (as seen on you photo's). 

Thanks for your comment!

Regards Remco

On the bench,
4bogreen

« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2016, 08:49:27 AM »

Hi guys,

I have put the hull sides and wing section together. This was not an easy task (as i assumed). Luckily the cockpit section went perfect in the wings, so no gaps in that section. In the tail and rear hull section, are small gaps. Nothing what some Tamiya putty can't handle. There is a gap between the lower section of the engine and wing placement. I have to be careful to encounter that, due the detail of the nice rivets there.

Unfortunately the lower section of the seat is to big. I have a spare lower end of the Eduard Yak-3 seat, so i will add that section to the Modelsvit backseat. To make things worse, i had finnish the seat already.... Undecided

When i have fixed the gaps i will post some photo's soon.

Regards,

Remco

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2016, 11:10:39 AM »

Hi Remco,
isn't it possible to reduce the lower part of the original seat by filing it on the outside only? Usually plastic seats are much thicker than the real metal ones, in proportion.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2016, 11:52:55 AM »

Hi Massimo,

I was thinking of this option to. But if i do this, the part will not be square but a rectangle. The Eduard part is already very thin (and requires one or two strokes with the sanding stick), and fits perfect. The main issue is de-thatching the seatbelts. I have tried to replicate the parts with lead foil and tissue paper. Effects were awesome, and i had a real good look off the fabric belt parts! Then i had to add the holes in the belts, and it went bad. The holes i can create, but the consistency of making eight or nine holes, with the same distance is an issue. I was creating the holes with my punch an die set, using a needle punching through the smallest hole. Maybe i gain more accuracy if i put a thin ruler or plastic cart next to it... 

Remco

On the bench,
Basilisk

« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2016, 03:50:29 PM »

Yes the seat is definitely too large in the kit and I should have sanded it down a bit in my build. But it does fit. The problem is that the side panels in the kit are located too low and the seat is located too high!

I attached the side panel 1mm above the intended location and I lowered the seat pan nearly to the bottom of the backrest. Then it does match drawings of the cockpit I have (you can see this in the pictures of my build).

The seatbelts are indeed a bit of a challenge. The Eduard creation is much too small and the one from the Gonza PE set are a bit too large (and the harness on the Armory PE set are the wrong type and look odd). It is a Sutton type harness, but the lap strap is longer as used by the RAF (only two holes), so unfortunately the excellent fabric HGW harness doesn't work. Looking forward to see your Harness creation.

By the way, lots of very useful pictures here http://karopka.ru/forum/forum212/topic457/

Cheers, Peter

4bogreen

« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2016, 09:57:07 PM »

Hi Peter,

The seat is indeed a very tricky thing to add correctly.
The seatbelts were a bit small. Your option of the HGW harness is pretty good! But the extra holes are indeed missing...

I will have to experiment a little more. But not to long. It has to be done in September....

On the bench,
KL

« Reply #25 on: July 28, 2016, 12:04:31 AM »

This is Yak-1b seat from a 1943 manual

Note that there is a third belt on front edge of the seat!!!

HTH,
KL
4bogreen

« Reply #26 on: July 28, 2016, 07:23:23 AM »

Hi KL,

Excellent reference material!!! I didn't know about the third belt! Now i can make the seat super correct! I also see a buckle in the backseat, where the belt goes through.  Probably welded or bolted to the armored plate. I see i have a lot to do, on the seat now  Cheesy

Regards,

Remco 

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #27 on: July 29, 2016, 09:49:06 AM »

Hi Remco,
try fixing two needles with adhesive paper and eventually a spacer between them. So you can impress two holes in a time, and then you use the second hole as a guide to make the third one evenly spaced.
To be honest, I never tried this.
Regards
Massimo
4bogreen

« Reply #28 on: August 20, 2016, 04:19:12 PM »

Yes! Seat problem solved. A major overhaul and some tweaking and tuning, but i am happy with the results.

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/tx0czm915/" target="_blank">_20160820_155847[/url]

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/hejrj1c1l/" target="_blank">_20160820_160035[/url]

<a href="https://postimg.org/image/trs0c7cc9/" target="_blank">_20160820_160059[/url]

On the bench,
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #29 on: August 21, 2016, 09:49:26 AM »

Hi Remco,
looks very good.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: 1 [2] 3
  Print