Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
UIL-2s with silver fuselage
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 08:16:35 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: UIL-2s with silver fuselage  (Read 4673 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: February 28, 2016, 06:59:58 PM »

Hi,
Vitaliy has sent an interesting link:
http://news.tajweek.tj/view/kak-v-gissare-chinili-samolety-dlya-fronta/
It shows some UIL-2s with an unusual training livery with silver and black fuselage.
More comments at mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il-2camo/uil-2/uil-2.html
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: March 12, 2016, 10:43:59 AM »

Hi,
I've traced this drawing of these planes.

Two images of UIL-2s in the repair workshop 217 in Hissar, Tajikistan, November 1943. These planes were received by 106 ShAP.
The article in bibliography says that the plane were overhauled, but it's possible that these were old planes converted into trainers in the workshop.
The look of this plane is very characteristic: the mid and rear fuselage and the tail were painted silver; the sides of the nose (and perhaps the wingroots) were painted black, without masking; the light blue on undersurfaces was preserved; the national insignias were with white-red outline, coherent with the use of late 1943; the color of the wing upper surface is uncertain, it doesn't look shining as the fuselage, anyway it doesn't look much darker, so it could be medium grey, if not silver.
The planes are straight-winged ones, probably with metal wings (seems from the angular shape of the landing light window); the rear of the canopy was of the flush type, as for the arrow-winged UIL-2s; the aerial masts are shorter than usual.
All the visible planes have black spinner, black blades with yellow tips; one of them has a light front of the spinner, perhaps white or yellow; another one has a red trim tab on its rudder.
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #2 on: March 12, 2016, 11:02:42 AM »

Hi Massimo,
it looks really nice. I like shape of these trianing two-seaters.
Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: March 12, 2016, 01:34:10 PM »

Hi Misos,
I like them too. Pity that none makes a vacuformed canopy for them, else it woyld be an easy conversion. Perhaps one could try by adapting two canopies, of a singleseater and of a twoseater.
Regards
Massimo
KL

« Reply #4 on: March 12, 2016, 08:27:28 PM »

Hi Massimo,
the text says that Il-2 overhauling started in 1944 - photos were most likely taken in 1944, not in 1943...

It's strange that on your drawings wings colour is different than fuselage colour (or horizontal stabilizer colour), IMHO entire top surfaces of those planes were painted in one colour.  Wings look different on photos because of the lighting.

Regards,
KL
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2016, 07:38:54 AM »

Hi Konstantin,

I agree that the text has something questionable.
In 1944, the workshop employees have mastered the repair of IL-2, but in the process of development there were many difficulties.

On the other way, the caption of a photo says
Hissar, in November 1943 a group of pilots of the 106th Attack Aviation Regiment receives IL-2 aircraft after overhaul
but the caption looks referred to the singleseater plane of the photo above, while the caption of both photos below (the twoseaters) is vague.
So, the planes could be photographed in 1944.

Probably the text means that they started the maintenance in late 1943, but they had problems and learned to do it well only in 1944.

About the silver wings, well, it is possible that their uppersurface is silver too. My first version of the drawing was so, and it is possible that I will restore it.
Another doubt is that one of the planes could have green and black on the sides of the nose. But I found strange that they repained half plane silver, and they saved a small amount of black paint.

Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2016, 08:17:17 AM »

Hi,
AFAIK these planes were trainers and photographed through the filter so red on the stars looks almost black, or at least very similar to the dark front fuselage.
Is it documented somewhere that front fuselage was black?
Regards,
   Misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2016, 11:10:27 AM »

Hi Misos,
no, I have only the photos. Though, I don't think that the nose was red, because it is the zone that is most darkened by exhaust stains, and a black painting would reduce the evidence of this.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: