Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
ICM Yak-7 UTI completed
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 09:01:11 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: ICM Yak-7 UTI completed  (Read 4259 times)
Seawinder

« on: February 26, 2017, 05:43:15 PM »

I can't honestly claim this was a fun build, but it's finally done and came out decent if not contest-worthy. Clunky cockpit elements and basically trial-and-error locating the side consoles; significant gaps at the wing-fuselage joins; solid plastic wing root intakes that had to be drilled out and shaped; etc. I used some Czech-produced photo-etch seat belts, resin main wheels from Barracuda, resin prop/spinner from Vector, and a couple of vacuform canopies from Squadron. I don't enjoy dealing with the latter, but I wanted the canopy open, and the kit piece is grotesque, especially the windscreen.

Paints are AKAN acrylic lacquers. As in other VVS projects, I found them delightful to apply, but fragile to handle afterward: picking up the model repeatedly by wing leading and trailing edges will quickly wear the paint off. Even trying to be careful, I had to reapply paint to various areas more times than I would have wished. All the decals are from Begemot's amazing 3+ page set of Yak-7 markings including the stencils and the wing fuel gauges. There are virtually no wartime photos I could find of Yak-7 UTIs; the few I found of the later Yak-7V had no plane numbers, so I didn't apply any.

Cheers and enjoy.
Pip
« Last Edit: July 19, 2017, 06:51:07 PM by Seawinder » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: February 27, 2017, 06:44:31 AM »

Hi Pip,  I see you had an hard work, but the result is good. I have a Yak-7 of ICM still to build, a singleseater, ad a resin conversion for the fuselage. I don't know if I really will build it.
Thank you for the warning about Akan paints, I wonder if there is any primer able to increase their strength. Else, one could protect the most exposed parts with polyethylene food film while working on other parts.
Regards
Massimo
Dark Green Man

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2017, 09:38:09 PM »

looks good , Pip !

mold release agent still on the kit before painting might be the culprit Huh

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Seawinder

« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2017, 11:22:36 PM »

looks good , Pip !

mold release agent still on the kit before painting might be the culprit Huh

That's possible. I don't remember whether or not I primed everything or just the fuselage. If I ever inflict another ICM Yak-7 on myself again, I'll pre-soak all the parts.
Thanks!
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: