Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Pe-2/M82
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 05:12:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Pe-2/M82  (Read 6300 times)
Graham Boak

« on: April 17, 2017, 06:24:05 PM »

I was thinking (fairly casually so far) about modelling one of these in 1/72, and was wondering whether anyone else had tried this, or could offer more information on the type other than a side-view.  I can see that the nacelle needs extending forwards, taking the undercarriage with it, and the engine cowling appears to mount flush with the underside of the nacelle.  It then appears to stick above the nacelle, unsurprisingly given the difference in height/diameter, but what happens on the uppersurface aft of that?  Are there exhausts each side of the intake, filling the gap?

The starting point is a Zvezda Pe-2 with KP La-5FN cowlings.  Plus some as-yet unidentified gills - possibly scratch-built.
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2017, 08:42:59 PM »

I know a top view diagram exists from the ARMADA book ,but I am not sure if that drawing is available online or not.
(or how accurate the diagram is)

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Graham Boak

« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2017, 09:45:10 PM »

Thanks for the hint - and on seeing photos of the book online I was inspired to go digging a little deeper into my boxes.   I find that I actually have the Armada books, so I confess to relying a little too strongly on Gordon and Smith.  There are several good photos, although some of the best are also in the Squadron book, but not the plan.  I feel that the plan is underestimating the width of the intake, but I can live with that if I can find something approximately suitable.  I don't see anything very difficult about the conversion, although like all such the proof will come with the attempting.  Not perhaps a high priority on the modelling list, unfortunately.
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2017, 01:14:51 PM »

Hi Graham,
hope this helps:

http://aviadejavu.ru/Site/Crafts/Craft27449.htm

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/311323-historic-plastic-models-48-503-petlyakov-pe-2-m-82

http://plasticmodels.com.ua/product-1-86773.html

Regards,
   66misos

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2017, 02:06:55 PM »

Hi all,
I see that the nose windows shown on the photo are different from those of the drawings. How many planes received this motorization?
Regards
Massimo
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2017, 06:50:23 PM »

Hi,
some info can be found in this Squadron/Signal: "AIRCRAFT NO.1181 Пикирующие бомбардировщики Пе-2 в бою" http://sassik.livejournal.com/408245.html
Athought GAZ 22 produced 32 of these planes by summer 1943, only 24 of them were accepted for service by VVS. Not many...

Regards,
   66misos

Graham Boak

« Reply #6 on: May 02, 2017, 07:47:29 PM »

The photograph shows the prototype.  Production aircraft (sometimes referred to as Pe-4) were based on a later standard of production Pe-2, hence fewer windows, and also had higher intakes above the engines.  Apparently the engine nacelle bomb-bays were re-introduced, but no flexible gun for the navigator.  They were put into use mainly as recce aircraft in various units, but the M-82 engines proved unreliable and the type was not popular.

The undercarriage was moved forward and/or lengthened - photos confirm the former and the latter makes sense with larger propellers.  There were no oil coolers in the wings, and the dive-brakes were removed.  This last variation does not appear in plans nor in a photo said to be the first production aircraft (which also has the modified nacelle rears of the prototype not the bomb bays), but it would make a lot of sense for the recce role.   It would appear contradictory that they removed the dive brakes but restored the bomb bays.
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 08:07:40 PM by Graham Boak » Logged
Graham Boak

« Reply #7 on: May 04, 2017, 08:03:27 PM »

One other question on the Pe-2 in general: what is the shape of the belly?  Is it flat from the nose past the bomb-bay, with the creation of the ventral gun bath contours beginning aft of this?  Or is there a small step up (down?) at the start of the bomb-bay and it is this line that continues aft?  This is very difficult to make out in photos: there is one good view of a 115-series aircraft where this step is visible, or appears to be so, but it isn't very large and it can't be made out in other views.  I did wonder if this was a late mod to fit larger bombs in the bay, but I can't find any mention of this and the 115 series can't be described as "late".
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: