Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Il-2 cutaway
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 03:20:54 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  
Author Topic: Il-2 cutaway  (Read 21815 times)
Shugayev

« Reply #15 on: November 30, 2018, 07:24:25 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
yes, I remember that profile on 'Profiles' serie, sorry for the joke of words.  Not credible at all.
Regards
Massimo
Hi Massimo,
Point taken.. So...for the OOB build I'll go for your profile Wink which is very challenging,

while for the detailed build-which is the point of our discussion- I''l go for Beregovoy's 22

I'd like to know though if they're a match for Tamiya's 1/48 61113 kit. I can see a difference in the shape of the gunner's canopy.. Embarrassed

Cheers,
Panagiotis.

« Last Edit: November 30, 2018, 07:26:02 AM by Shugayev » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2018, 09:33:00 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
unfortunately, I have many doubts on the red nose of the plane of Beregovoy.

As you can see, the only image that seems to show a red nose is extremely retouched, practically a drawing. Besides it shows a second sharp band.
It could be that the photo was badly restored and the camouflage lines were made straight.
I suggest to look for confirmations, if you find any, or choose another plane, or accept the risk knowing that this characteristic isn't proved.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2018, 02:21:18 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Thanks for the photo and the info. I'll let you know when it comes to paint the model. May be until then something else comes up.
Now for the nice winter camo of your profile. Is there any photo and info about the pilot and the plane itself?
Cheers
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2018, 04:16:04 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
have you noted that plane n.100 is represented with straight  wings? I think that the model of Tamiya depicts arrow wings. Its a pity, I know...
To tell the truth the photo shows only a central part of the fuselage, not the wings, but the straight wing version was predominant in January 1944, arrows started to arrive in that period.
This is the pilot: http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=15299
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #19 on: November 30, 2018, 05:42:01 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
have you noted that plane n.100 is represented with straight  wings? I think that the model of Tamiya depicts arrow wings. Its a pity, I know...
To tell the truth the photo shows only a central part of the fuselage, not the wings, but the straight wing version was predominant in January 1944, arrows started to arrive in that period.
This is the pilot: http://www.warheroes.ru/hero/hero.asp?Hero_id=15299
Regards
Massimo
Hi Massimo,
OOoops, I didn't notice the wings.. Sad No problem, credibility comes first.. Smiley
As for painting my choices are restricted. 22 is my lucky number and yellow my favorite color.. Grin Although I'd prefer a Russian pilot, Beregovoy is just fine..He served the USSR and was greatly honored for that..So Beregovoy's plane in two versions..A cutaway and an OOB one..
Have a nice weekend
Cheers
Panagiotis.
Shugayev

« Reply #20 on: December 06, 2018, 06:42:58 AM »

Hi Massimo,
Time for some primer color info on the cockpit area. As far as I know -with your help- the rear area, the gunner cockpit at least, was painted with DD-118 uninflammable grey paint..BUT..Your help is more than needed especially here. I will help you with the following photos which show numbered parts. What I'd like to know is the primer color of these areas. Tough question, I know, wild guesses are inevitable but in any case I'll stick to your suggestions..So take your time and shoot your answers! Cheesy Needless to say this cutaway construction is dedicated to Massimo, so go for it! Cool
Cheers,
Panagiotis.

K.Ingraham

« Reply #21 on: December 06, 2018, 05:20:44 PM »

Mr Shugayev,
Spasiba bolshoi! For a rare break from AMS ("advanced modeling syndrome") I just started an out-of-box 72d build of Eduard's IL-2 using the included Cpt Beregov's red 22 markings. Your inquiries have not only helped but encouraged me to get it done!
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #22 on: December 07, 2018, 07:58:21 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
your questions are really difficult, I don't think to give sure answers.
Have you documents? A good way could be to paint the plane as shown on photos of the museum of Prague or Belgrad. There are a lot of photos on the web and on monographs. Anything can write, it is copied from images.
Surely you can't be biased if you use A-14 grey as base color for nearly all metallic parts. This could be the color of factory (but which factory? Three Zavods were building Il-2s at the end of the war) or, if not the color of factory, this was likely for a repainting during maintenance.
It is possible that the painting of wooden part was made with DD-118, that is very similar, just a bit darker and more purple, something as Humbrol 27.
It is possible that, as we often see inside the langing gear bays, the base color was some greenish one (ALG-5 probably) with unpainted details.
A drawing from a manual shows light green as base, but it is a didactic drawing, reliable for the colors of the handles but not for the background.
On the plane of Belgrad, the fuel tank looks medium/dark grey with unpainted metal fasteners.
I would help more, but if you can find images it risks to be an unuseful talking.

Hi Keith,
out of box models are a good care, I made some last year. My choice was to make some obsolete kits of planes, so I wouldn't regret too much if the result was mediocre. Anyway, they took their place.

Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #23 on: December 07, 2018, 09:25:23 AM »

Hi Massimo,
I cannot post photos now but the following link of a restored Il-2 has influenced me a lot. The cockpit colors though do not appeal to me. In contrast, with my little experience in VVS aviation, the coloring of the other surfaces-fuselage, wings-seem to be quite credible but I cannot say sth more than that for now.
Cheers
Panagiotis.

http://www.ilyushin.org/en/press/media/gallery/335/
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #24 on: December 07, 2018, 09:29:13 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I agree that those colors don't look right.
Have you some reference books as 4+, or the one of Jason or victor? Eventually, I think that the photos of the cockpits can be found on the web.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #25 on: December 07, 2018, 03:40:15 PM »

Hi Massimo,
In the link above it seems that the guys restoring the Il-2 have been using ALG-5 primer,haven't they? Also they've been using a light green color as a primer for the outer wing structure which is a badly shaded ALG-1(?) Undecided Well, to reach a point, I'm thinking of leaving the cockpit area unpainted alumimium and for breaking the monotony I may spray the side cockpit ALG-1 or ALG-5, what do you suggest could be better? Roll Eyes After all, this is a model construction full of cutaway elements and definitely not one based on strict OOB rules, wait and see. Cool
Here is a bunch of photos of my OOB Il-2 cockpit. The big challenge is the cutaway project though. Wink

« Last Edit: December 07, 2018, 03:42:20 PM by Shugayev » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #26 on: December 07, 2018, 08:06:09 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
aluminum... no, the main parts of the fuselage of Il-2 were made of steel, not aluminum.
According to EP, ALG-5 was a sort of light grey-blue. But the chips of Nakrasok show a medium olivish grey-green. It was a mix of ALG-1 and A-14.
The already painted cockpit seems very well made. You have a good technique of black washing.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #27 on: December 07, 2018, 08:20:22 PM »

Hi Massimo,
Thanks for the comment. Smiley Ok,steel then,not aluminium, very good to know that. Wink  I'll try a mixture of steel in the side cockpit and the seat and grey in the instruments. Maybe a touch of ALG-1 somewhere. As I said it's a free style build that, anxious to show as much as I can.Thanks for everything. You'll be the first to see the painted cockpit, comment on it and tell me what to correct.Have a nice weekend,
Cheers,
Panagiotis.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #28 on: December 08, 2018, 08:47:27 AM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I don't think that the seat was made of steel. Steel was for the armoured body. The spinner, propeller, the concave plate in front of the oil cooler intake and the karman, and the wings and tail, were aluminum.
Regards
Massimo
Shugayev

« Reply #29 on: December 08, 2018, 01:31:06 PM »

Hi Panagiotis,
I don't think that the seat was made of steel. Steel was for the armoured body. The spinner, propeller, the concave plate in front of the oil cooler intake and the karman, and the wings and tail, were aluminum.
Regards
Massimo
Hi Massimo. Of course a seat is not made of steel, I just put it wrong. I sprayed the area last night and being reluctant I just sprayed steel in the armor plate behind the pilot and aluminum the seat itself as well as the bulkhead supporting it and the door leading to the rear fuselage. I'll show you photos tomorrow or Monday at the latest. Better I didn't experiment with the primers at least in the cockpit area, eh,,?  Grin
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5
  Print  

Jump to: