Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Clear Prop 1/72 La-5 (Early); Late version Released 11/2020
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 11:08:33 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  
Author Topic: Clear Prop 1/72 La-5 (Early); Late version Released 11/2020  (Read 9619 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: December 19, 2019, 12:46:22 AM »

From Britmodeller, here's a CAD-based look at the new 1/72 La-5 from Clear Prop, possibly due early in 2020:

This should be the ultimate injection-molded styrene La-5 in 1/72, given the rave reviews Clear Prop's previous kits have received. My only concern would be where they got their information regarding shapes and dimensions. Don't get me wrong - I'll be eager to buy at least a couple of these regardless, but I'll be biting my fingernails the first time I check the plan view shape of the cowling, if anyone else remembers how that topic has been discussed here!

John
« Last Edit: December 08, 2020, 05:19:41 PM by John Thompson » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2019, 10:20:29 PM »

Two more images:

Looks amazing, although the windscreen seems a bit thick.

John

Go here for more images:

https://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/235065013-172-lavoschkin-la-5-early-by-clear-prop-models-3d-renders-release-in-2020/&do=findComment&comment=3530333
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 06:49:14 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: December 23, 2019, 08:20:57 AM »

Hi John,
I agree, looks good but the canopy and the seat seem to bee thick.
Overall, it looks nice, even if this version was fogettable for its scarce diffusion. I hope that they will make LaGG-3s too, aside La-5s.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2020, 01:12:59 AM »

That does look nice! The thickness of the seat and windscreen may just be unavoidable in injection-moulded 1/72nd scale.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2020, 09:29:09 PM »

Release probable for March 2020; the kit is now listed as "Soon" in the Clear Prop catalog:
https://clearpropmodels.com/catalog

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: March 30, 2020, 01:21:32 AM »

Now available for purchase:
https://clearpropmodels.com/la-5

John
warhawk

« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2020, 09:49:26 AM »

Looks great. Can't wait for the LaGG.
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2020, 02:00:38 AM »

I placed my order this morning, and got a message that it would be shipped on Wednesday, April 1. So far I haven't seen any online reviews.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #8 on: May 14, 2020, 04:53:36 PM »

Finally, after a wait of six weeks, probably due to shipping backlogs globally caused by the Coronavirus pandemic, my kits arrived this morning. I haven't had time to look at them in detail, but two initial observations:
(1) The apparent thickness of the windscreen visible in the CAD rendering is only an error in the image - the actual windscreen is as thin as you would expect in 1/72 scale. In other words, no problem.
(2) The main parts (fuselage halves, wings) match the drawings in the MBI La-5 book perfectly. I guess this is not surprising - this book seems to be regarded as very accurate, so it's likely that the drawings in it were used in the development of the kit.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 18, 2020, 05:10:18 PM »

Lots of close-up images of the kit parts here:
https://www.facebook.com/pg/ChmellScaleModels/photos/?ref=page_internal

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #10 on: December 08, 2020, 05:23:24 PM »

I hope I'm not breaking any confidences by revealing the following, which comes from a source at Clear Prop; the new La-5 late version kit has been released, so I think I'm okay. Apparently the late version is an almost entirely new kit!

The main differences are as follows:
- the new fuselage has improved geometry, as well as improved cockpit assembly (I'm guessing that CP listened and responded appropriately to complaints about the fit of the cockpit on the early version kit) and installation of clear parts.
- a new wing that contains three tanks, not five as in the "early" one.
- wheel bays have a different shape (on the La-5 "early" they are the same as on the LaGG-3).
- new sprue with clear parts, as well as a small sprue for clear "ears" corrections.
- given two options for the stabilizer.

From the La-5 "early" kit only one sprue with small details remains.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #11 on: December 08, 2020, 07:59:55 PM »

Hi John,
this sounds interesting. I wasn't aware of the problems of the first kit, and didn't know that there was a difference in the landing gear bays.
Ears... are the small windows behind the canopy? What was the problem with them?
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: December 08, 2020, 10:13:27 PM »

Hi Massimo! I've ordered the late La-5; when I receive it, I'll be sure to compare it with the early version. Until then, I don't have any answers. I already converted an early kit to a late La-5 just by replacing the canopy, so I'm very curious to see what details I missed!   Cheesy

John
learstang

« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2021, 10:00:12 PM »

Well, I just recently received my early La-5, and I have to say it looks very nice! I haven't glued anything together yet, so I can't comment on the fit, but the detail all looks lovely!

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Psy06

« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2021, 05:56:55 PM »

I just saw it now. In these models, the shape of the engine cowlings is incorrect in plan. Found factory drawings, it can be seen that the nose is in the shape of an onion. There are simply no straight sections.
Pages: [1] 2 3
  Print  

Jump to: