Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3

Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
1032 VVS photo from e-bay
Sovietwarplanes
April 18, 2024, 09:27:05 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: 1032 VVS photo from e-bay  (Read 6860 times)
KSL

« on: April 11, 2006, 10:36:45 PM »

Hi!

http://www.avia-n-aero.ru/photo.php

Sergey.
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2006, 01:40:09 AM »

Sergey,

Thank You for the link, there are lots of interesting photos there.
(I found two new modeling projects  Grin )

I will have to go looking some more later on...right now it is supper-time

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2006, 05:33:57 PM »

Thanks for posting the link - this looks amazing (to me, at least!)! I took a quick look through the whole thing - most of it is German Operation Barbarossa images (to paraphrase Napoleon (who had his own failed confrontation with "General Winter"!), every soldier has not only the Field Marshall's baton in his backpack, but also a camera, it seems), but the higher numbers also include more modern types (Tu-95, for example) and also a couple of museum walkarounds, then it goes back to GPW. Even a few early colour images! Hopefully some talented person (Massimo?) will create some profiles from the b&w photos - there's a great shot of an early Yak-1, several I-16's, some Il-2's, and so on. A real goldmine!!!

John Thompson
Audrius

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2006, 07:06:56 AM »

hi John

Thanks for posting the link - this looks amazing (to me, at least!)! I took a quick look through the whole thing - most of it is German Operation Barbarossa images.

That's right - the author of the site has dedicated it solely for the VVS a/c.  If it would be started much before it would contain much, much more material. Thus invitation for all of you who have been saving pictures from , especially *Bay , you can upload them yourself on the site. That would be a nice contribution!

BR Audrius
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2006, 06:53:52 PM »

The more I look at this site, the more amazed I become! Cherrypicking some of the best ones:

Image 284 - Yak-1, Yellow 6, in black/green camouflage, with skis and dropped flaps - appears that the tail and fuselage stars are partially overpainted, but this could just be due to poor contrast between the green and the red of the insignia.

Image 621 - I-16 typ 5, White 11, appears to have a red cowling, judging from similar contrast of fuselage star with fuselage main colour

Image 672 - in COLOUR!!! I-16 typ 10, hard to be sure, but maybe Red 14 on the tail? Red cowling face. Ignore the ugly contraption in the background!

Images 1071 and 1073 - two shots of the same aircraft, it appears! An early I-16 (typ 4?) in pre-war "silver-grey"; it looks like the black cowling has been overpainted in white. The rudder is either a colour between white and grey (yellow?), or else it just looks lighter than the fin because it's angled slightly to the camera and reflects the light differently. There appears to be a numeral 1 on the rudder, either overpainted or in a pale colour slightly darker than the rudder itself. Too bad the rudder doesn't show in the second shot!

I could go on and on...? Cheesy

Can anyone tell if the owner of this amazing collection is willing to sell prints of some of the images? To have photographic (not digital)copies of the originals might make some of the details easier to judge!

John Thompson
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2006, 07:00:46 PM »

Oops! I should have added that any comments about colours of either the markings (numbers) or camouflage are ONLY my own guesses - I have no skill whatsoever at judging colour from black-and-white images. I really hope that other people will either confirm my guesses or correct them - I would love to see a sensible (and polite!) discussion of the awesome photos on the site.

I'll bet Massimo is having a *really busy* Easter weekend...  Wink

John Thompson
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #6 on: April 20, 2006, 07:10:52 AM »

Hi, Smiley
a busy weekend? Yes, with a lot of different things.
The link of 1032 photos is extremely interesting. Unfortunately most of the interesting ones are undownloadable, perhaps because they are all already sold. So I wasn't able to download the most of photos of Yaks and Su-2s and some on LaGG-3s. And you?
I think that anyone interested indownloading should be quick, before photos are sold and disappear.
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2006, 07:16:46 AM »

Hi John, Smiley
any comment on bw photos is largely his author's guess. One can have his own criteria to interpretate photos, but nearly none interpretation has even been compared with a corresponding color photo to have confirmation. Undecided So, we all are in the same boat.
Massimo
KSL

« Reply #8 on: April 20, 2006, 07:19:55 AM »

Hi Massimo!

Try later. On the main page of a site there is an announcement: Some photos are inaccessible - there is a restoration of a site from BackUp.

Sergey.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: