Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Soviet Union Air Aces 1941 – 1945 by Waldemar Trojca
Sovietwarplanes
April 20, 2024, 08:44:40 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Soviet Union Air Aces 1941 – 1945 by Waldemar Trojca  (Read 2717 times)
66misos

Absence of evidence is not evidence of absence.

« on: June 09, 2020, 03:22:15 PM »

Hi,
do you know anybody this book?

https://wildcatsmodels.com/books/19936-lssah-in-photos-1933-1945-by-waldemar-trojca-karlheinz-munch.html

This book presents the biographies of 381 Soviet male and female fighter pilots that fought during the Great Patriotic War (22.06.1941-09.05.1945).
The book contains: 768 pages, 1,040 photographs, 406 tables, 788 colour aircraft profiles, colour images of 26 decorations, and 110 colour drawings of military ranks. Also included is a separate A0 size colour map, showing the disposition of the air forces of the Soviet Union and Germany on 22.06.1941.
English/German text.
Price £ 120.00.

Here are some inside views https://obchod.valka.cz/product_info.php/p/1179457/title/Pro-fandy-letadel-Rusko-WW-II-Nutnost-History-of-the-Great-Patriotic-War-Soviet-Union-Air-Aces-1941-1945

Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2020, 09:27:37 PM »

Hi Misos,
probably the book contains a lot of interesting text and photos, but the first impression of the profile of the plane of Pokryshkin isn't the best possible one.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2020, 04:41:33 PM »

There's some discussion about this very expensive book on Hyperscale Plane Talking:
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/hyperscale/has-anyone-else-picked-up-soviet-union-air-aces-19-t518042.html

The profiles in the book are not of the high quality that we see here on sovietwarplanes, I'm afraid. Not only is the artwork very plain-looking, I believe the example in the Hyperscale thread shows errors compared to the photo right beside it:

It appears to me that the profile artist has not represented the outline of the "sharkmouth" correctly (should be white, not red) and the location of the shark's eye seems too low. Furthermore, the aircraft in the photo appears to have a two-colour upper-surface camouflage (not just Olive Drab, as the profile shows, or is the two-colour appearance caused by a thin film of ice? The crewman on the wing might be spraying the aircraft with de-icing solution, I suppose), and the colour demarcation on the rear fuselage between the upper surface and lower surface does not match the photo (or is that just the effect of the shadow of the tailplane?). The colour of the spinner tip (red) is quite different from the red of the stars, too. I know it's just one example from a book which apparently has hundreds of profiles, but if one example chosen at random has obvious mistakes, then it casts doubt on the accuracy of all the rest. Am I wrong about any of this?

John
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 05:36:48 PM by John Thompson » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #3 on: September 12, 2020, 09:59:24 PM »

Hi John,
I agree on the unaccuracy of the white outline of the sharkmouth and the position of the eye, and I would add that the position of the star on the fuselage and of the number is wrong too.
About the general color, I think that the OD-NG is correct. The dark areas on the nose and fuselage are the shadows of the man and of the wing due to the low sun from the front.
I think that the front of the spinner could be not red, in consideration of its strong contrast with the OD part of the spinner.
Regards
Massimo
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: