Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Hello!
Sovietwarplanes
March 29, 2024, 12:24:47 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: Hello!  (Read 2075 times)
TimSouthern

« on: April 06, 2021, 08:46:40 PM »

Hi Everyone!

Thank you to the moderators for letting me be a part of this forum, grazie!

If you ever are on Britmodeller or Stormo, you would know me as Plastimic. If I ever find a site dedicated to WW2 French Aircraft, I'll be there too. My interest being Italian, French, Japanese and of course, Russian. Plastimic, is also my Insragram account for my model aircraft and D&D figure painting.

I am returning to plastic Aircraft modeling after 26 years. A LOT has changed. All for the better.

I build in 1/72 and that scale is having a golden age as of now. If you had showed me an ICM Do-17 or and Arma Hobby Hurricane, or a new tooled Airfix kit back when I was content with a Matchbox kit, I would not believe it.

My introduction into Russian Aircraft are two ICM offerings. Their Sukhoi Su-2 kit and thier PO-2 kit.

I am starting with the Sukhoi Su-2 kit. It's a hard kit to review and in my honest opinion it breaks barely even when all is said and done. On one hand the moulding detail is amazing, all those rivets. Yet the molding quality seems to be sporadic at best. There's some things blatantly missing like the small circular windows.

I ordered the interior and exterior photo etch sets from Microdesign in Russia. They arrive at the end of the month. Which gives me lots of time to clean up the kit and make corrections. If you know of anyone who makes a vacuform canopy please share with me. Also I am looking for photos of the pitot tube and where the 7.62 machine guns came out of the wing. Anyhow back to sanding I go.

I wish you luck and joy on your builds!

Tim
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2021, 06:42:53 AM »

Hi Tim,
welcome here.
I see that your interest avoids the mainstream of German, US and British planes. It's good that some modellers remember of all the interesting planes of other nations.
Some Russian and Ukrainan kits of 10-20 years ago have an high level of details, but are somewhat difficult to build. I think that many of the masters could have come out from the hands of the same artist.
About the circular windows of the SB, I suspect that it was a willing omission, because two configurations were possible and it would have limited the versatility of the kit.

Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2021, 02:55:21 PM »

Hi Tim; welcome aboard! Regarding details of the Su-2, AFAIK the best reference available is this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTH-053-Sukhoi-Su-2-Soviet-WW2-Short-Range-Bomber-Story-book-/272424238469

There's a small possibility you might be able to find it online to download.

I lifted the following two thumbnails of "Barbarossa victims" from ebay.de a few years ago; the gun ports seem to have a blast tube which extends slightly beyond the leading edge of the wing:

Nothing on the pitot tube, though.

John
« Last Edit: April 07, 2021, 04:20:16 PM by John Thompson » Logged
TimSouthern

« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2021, 06:50:05 AM »

Hi Tim,
welcome here.
I see that your interest avoids the mainstream of German, US and British planes. It's good that some modellers remember of all the interesting planes of other nations.
Some Russian and Ukrainan kits of 10-20 years ago have an high level of details, but are somewhat difficult to build. I think that many of the masters could have come out from the hands of the same artist.
About the circular windows of the SB, I suspect that it was a willing omission, because two configurations were possible and it would have limited the versatility of the kit.

Regards
Massimo

Oh wow I didn't know that. So some didn't have the circular windows? I sadly don't know much about the plane except what I have got from the internet and googling until I have gone cross eyed. I am a lil skeptical of internet info because my last build was hampered by it. If books were easier to get all the time I'd deffinetley go that route. I have spent most of my early stage of building, sanding and dry fitting major components. I am going to stick with the decals provided with the kit.  I feel all this early work will help. I want to try new things with each build so down the road my ideas can come easily because I have gone through the process of doing different things with each build. I think I want to try and do the windows. I am planning on doing as much as I can with the interior. I know the fuselage was plywood or wood laminate. I want to reproduce the interior as best I can as accurately as possible. The cockpit is very "roomy" on the SU-2. It needs it all. So I have to myself hoe to make the framing.

TimSouthern

« Reply #4 on: April 08, 2021, 07:02:32 AM »

Hi Tim; welcome aboard! Regarding details of the Su-2, AFAIK the best reference available is this one:
https://www.ebay.com/itm/OTH-053-Sukhoi-Su-2-Soviet-WW2-Short-Range-Bomber-Story-book-/272424238469

There's a small possibility you might be able to find it online to download.

I lifted the following two thumbnails of "Barbarossa victims" from ebay.de a few years ago; the gun ports seem to have a blast tube which extends slightly beyond the leading edge of the wing:

Nothing on the pitot tube, though.

John

Hey John,

I wish I could get that book, it's not cheap and I live in Canada, so things can get pricey. As for the guns, the illustration on the ICM kit seems accurate with that. I am sure I can find a few more pics.

Cheers

Tim
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: April 08, 2021, 12:37:26 PM »

Hi Tim,
About the windows of SB: if I remember well, some versions had one and some had two.
I've asked a friend if he has useful links to that monograph on Su-2.
Regards
Massimo
TimSouthern

« Reply #6 on: April 08, 2021, 07:40:34 PM »

Hi Tim,
About the windows of SB: if I remember well, some versions had one and some had two.
I've asked a friend if he has useful links to that monograph on Su-2.
Regards
Massimo

Ciao Massimo,

That's really interesting! I found a 4 page layout on scalemodels.ru it's a PCX file it took a lil work to download onto my phone.but I got it. It answers some, but not all of my questions. I'll have to send it to a friend to get it printed out. Then scale it. I'm really getting excited about this build. I just wish there was some black and white photos of the cockpit. It helps makes sense of the line drawings.

Cheers

TIM
Psy06

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2021, 04:54:00 PM »

I wish I could get that book, it's not cheap and I live in Canada, so things can get pricey. As for the guns, the illustration on the ICM kit seems accurate with that. I am sure I can find a few more pics.

I give a tip. If you download from the Internet a book from a long-dead publisher, from a long-dead author, no one will drag you to jail. In Russia, it so happened that the relatives
 of the deceased historian, as a rule, throw his archives in the trash, and do not sit on the Internet and do not track down whoever downloads the book for free.

If you need a real reference, and not journalism, here they sell a factory manual for the SU-2, just for the version that Zvezda gives in plastic.
http://www.libex.ru/detail/book801392.html

btv.. 7 april, Anatoly Vladimirovich Kanevsky died, he helped me a year and a half ago with access to Zhukovsky's Аrchive (TCAGI)...
« Last Edit: April 11, 2021, 05:18:17 PM by Psy06 » Logged
TimSouthern

« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2021, 08:39:25 AM »

I give a tip. If you download from the Internet a book from a long-dead publisher, from a long-dead author, no one will drag you to jail. In Russia, it so happened that the relatives

Spasibo
 of the deceased historian, as a rule, throw his archives in the trash, and do not sit on the Internet and do not track down whoever downloads the book for free.

If you need a real reference, and not journalism, here they sell a factory manual for the SU-2, just for the version that Zvezda gives in plastic.
http://www.libex.ru/detail/book801392.html

btv.. 7 april, Anatoly Vladimirovich Kanevsky died, he helped me a year and a half ago with access to Zhukovsky's Аrchive (TCAGI)...

Spasibo!

I decided to do some searching around. Some how I found it....

Cheers

Tim
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: