Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
La-5 Resin Parts from Quickboost
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 06:57:04 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1]
  Print  
Author Topic: La-5 Resin Parts from Quickboost  (Read 3773 times)
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« on: April 27, 2021, 10:05:49 PM »

Quickboost just released three resin upgrades which (according to Modelimex) are intended for the Clear Prop La-5 kits. The three items are exhausts, exhaust covers, and cowling face. I'm puzzled by the cowling face; here's an image:

To me, it looks identical to the kit part, although I can't be certain until I actually have it in my hands (on order). On the other hand, the KP cowling face is substantially different from the CP part, as well as from the real thing:

Unfortunately I can't post an image of the KP face (camera not working), but the air intake at the top of the part, instead of being straight-sided like both the CP kit part and the real La-5 photo, tapers out at the sides from front to back. So apparently it's the KP cowling face that's wrong, not the Clear Prop one. A bit of careful work with a file should be enough to deal with it, but maybe I'll think differently when I receive the Quickboost part for comparison.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2021, 10:28:35 AM »

Hi John,
could you give the link to the item, please? I would try to understand the reason of this.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2021, 02:38:32 PM »

Here it is:
https://www.modelimex.com/172-la-5-correct-cowling-clprop-qbt-72656

That's all I've got - the item still has not appeared on Quickboost's site, as of today (28 April); their descriptions are usually not very detailed either.

http://www.quickboost.net/172.htm

Scroll right to the bottom - item numbers only go as high as 72652; the cowling face is 72656. As you can see from the Modelimex page, it's still not actually released, so maybe when it is, then Quickboost will add it to their site.

John
« Last Edit: April 28, 2021, 02:46:07 PM by John Thompson » Logged
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #3 on: April 29, 2021, 08:14:11 PM »

The question of whether the Quickboost cowling face will fit the KP La-5 was asked on another forum. I compared the two kit parts; the CP one is longer front to back than the KP by about 1mm. This is because the CP cowling face includes the cowling clamping band, whereas this band is part of the fuselage on the KP kit. The band is slightly raised, but otherwise the diameters seem to match. So, once you carefully sand away 1mm from the Quickboost replacement to make it match the length of the KP part, coincidentally eliminating the clamping band, the QB face should fit just fine on the KP fuselage. (Or I suppose you could shorten the KP fuselage by 1mm!) I just received the PayPal payment request for my Modelimex order this morning, so I'm hopeful that means it's ready to ship. Once I receive it, I'll be able to judge more accurately.

(But unless I see other reasons to buy the resin replacement, I think my preferred solution would just be to reshape the intake on the KP kit part!)

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2021, 03:34:53 PM »

Here is one more La-5 cowling image, harvested from a trawl through all 78 pages of the scalemodels.ru pinned La-5 thread:

This appears to be a La-5F, judging from what little is visible of the aft part of the canopy. The photo shows quite well the shape of the intake and cowling bulge. It was posted as part of a discussion regarding the shape of the aft part of the bulge in plan view (square or rounded; the consensus is that it's rounded), but with no mention of the source of the photo. I suspect, though I'm not sure, that it's not a La-5F "in the wild", but possibly one set up at TsAGI for testing purposes - I don't see any camouflage or markings, and I think the cowling face is blanked off with something other than the aircraft's own temperature control shutter.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2021, 04:42:29 PM »

Hi John,
the photo is from the production line in Gorky. The plane is not yet marked or camouflaged, as you have rightly written.
The thing closing the intake is the standard shutter, but perhaps it is more visible than usual because it is not painted.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #6 on: May 04, 2021, 05:15:17 PM »

Thank you, Massimo! That makes me confident that it's not some kind of test prototype which could have modified cowling parts.

John
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #7 on: May 18, 2021, 05:11:12 PM »

I received the Quickboost resin cowling ring from Modelimex today; just over two weeks from date of shipment - not bad! After cutting it free from the pour block and a bit of cleanup on the edge, I compared it to the Clear Prop early and late La-5 parts, and I really don't see any difference. I don't think I'd use this resin on the CP kit; however, the KP is a different story. By replacing the KP kit part, the QB part could be used to correct the intake shape, although the overall length of ring plus fuselage needs to be addressed - as I mentioned before, the cowling band detail is part of the CP (and QB) rings, but it's part of the fuselage with KP. What I'd probably do is assemble the KP fuselage, shorten it by the width of the cowling band (which is only 0.5mm!), and use the resin part on it, not the Clear Prop kit.

John
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: May 19, 2021, 02:19:41 PM »

Hi john,
how strange... maybe they have copied the CP part for the KP kit, and have mismarked it? It would be good to hear the QB boss on some forum.
Regards
Massimo
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2021, 07:10:56 PM »

Hi Massimo! I don't think it's a direct copy - the details on the Quickboost part are slightly sharper than those of the Clear Prop cowling ring. The clamping band in particular is a bit thicker, so it stands slightly higher on the surface. But the differences are very hard to see. Using the QB part on the KP kit reminds me of the early days of aftermarket parts, made from white metal. If an Airfix kit had a good set of wheels for a 1/72 Hurricane, copies might be made and sold as general replacements. That way, if you were building a Revell Hurricane (for example), you didn't have to buy a whole Airfix kit just to get the wheels. I don't know the answer, but I'm considering buying more of the QB cowling rings to use on the KP kits I've got!

John
BLG

« Reply #10 on: May 20, 2021, 04:44:45 PM »

Hi John
Thanks for this info. As I have KP and Clear/Prop, I will make resin copies of the CP.
Regards
Bernard

warhawk

« Reply #11 on: May 20, 2021, 06:17:46 PM »

Most Quickboost 'corrections' do not actually correct anything, but are just one-to-one copies of the kit part with some panel lines better defined or minor detail added.
I can vouch this for their FW190A-8 cowling ring (Set No. 72161) and SM.79 cowlings set (Set No. 72106).
Both of these I have compared to the kit parts with fine calipers, and found no difference in size/shape whatsoever...
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #12 on: May 20, 2021, 07:07:46 PM »

I feel better - I thought maybe I was missing something!  Wink Anyway, as I suggested, the QB parts are useful on the KP La-5/La-5F!

John
K.Ingraham

« Reply #13 on: November 17, 2023, 03:06:07 AM »

Most Quickboost 'corrections' do not actually correct anything, but are just one-to-one copies of the kit part with some panel lines better defined or minor detail added
Further to this point: as many of us will have the 72d Eduard MiG-15 in the stash; I just got a QB "corrected" intake ring for that kit. The only difference from the kit part is the gun camera port is drilled out in the QB part vice the deep hole/port in the Eduard kit. QB saves you about a minute of drilling time, should you want that port completely open. I love the vast majority of QB bits that I have but have learned to look before buying for the above-stated reason.
Pages: [1]
  Print  

Jump to: