Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
possible VVS Hurricane repaint photos
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 02:35:46 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: possible VVS Hurricane repaint photos  (Read 2807 times)
Troy Smith

« Reply #15 on: May 23, 2022, 02:21:22 PM »

test

To me this look like a full upper repaint,  while Temperate Land Scheme and Day Fighter Scheme were acceptable to the VVS,  the Desert Scheme would only work

in Southern Russia,  which would explain a more extensive repaint perhaps.

I refer you back to the photo in the first post

note the very non RAF camo pattern, and the light upper part of the canopy hood framing, the canopy area being the part usually in Middle Stone,  but

the dark lower rail, which is the same tone as the paint on the fuselage below.  This is a very good candidate for  VVS repaint from a Desert scheme

The different appearance of the star and underside can be caused by different films and lens filters,   and the 'dark' UC door maybe just a lighting effect,

looking again, the sunlight is coming from behind, onto the starboard side, so that maybe shadow.

I don't know if you can ask PGmonster where the 67 IAP was based?   

The other possibility, is a VVS repaint after a winter scheme using permanent white?

Anyway,   I'm very happy that I can post again, and discuss these fascinating images, hopefully yet more photos will appear and some new schemes will be

documented.

cheers
T
« Last Edit: May 23, 2022, 02:25:59 PM by Troy Smith » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #16 on: May 24, 2022, 06:57:26 PM »

Hi,
I see the light frames.
The ventral cooler of the latest photo doesn't seem exceedingly dark, although being on shadow.
About the black wings, they were on some Tomahawk sent to Russia, so why not on Hurricanes?
Are all these photos from the same unit?
The camouflage is sharp, so it looks painted by brush. This could be a point for the use of Soviet colors on upper surfaces.
Regards
Massimo
Graham Boak

« Reply #17 on: May 25, 2022, 11:54:04 PM »

I suspect the US production line painted the P-40s black underwing, and the length of the supply chain meant that examples arrived in the UK for forwarding to the USSR without being repainted en route.  However the Hurricanes that went to Russia were either new off the line or rebuilds that had recently passed through the workshops, so would have been painted in the current RAF schemes.  Which wouldn't perhaps rule out some examples, but I don't recall seeing any in the photos I've seen.  Shadow appears to be a likelier explanation.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #18 on: May 26, 2022, 10:21:37 PM »

Usually British painted and marked the planes with British colors and the red star before delivering them to SU. Is it possible that they delivered them in desert camouflage?
Troy Smith

« Reply #19 on: May 26, 2022, 11:51:25 PM »

Usually British painted and marked the planes with British colors and the red star before delivering them to SU. Is it possible that they delivered them in desert camouflage?

Yes.  There are a few photos showing Desert camouflage, they were in this thread but are unavailable.
http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/board/index.php?topic=23.0

Sadly none showed the full markings.  Which is why I suggest this as a reason for a repaint. The photo on this page is not from the 67 IAP,  I posted the unit  link on page 1  captioned (the Cyrillic seems to cause a posting error)
Babiy Vasily Panteleimonovich at the Hurricane fighter.

from
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: