Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Airfix Il.2 has Mongolian AF option
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 07:31:40 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Airfix Il.2 has Mongolian AF option  (Read 15555 times)
Graham Boak

« on: April 06, 2010, 11:24:19 AM »

Just for information.  I don't suppose anyone on this forum would wish to be in the same room as an Airfix Il.2, and if they did it would be only to snaffle the Mongolian option for themselves.  So there's no point in asking for a spare set, is there?
Dark Green Man

« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2010, 06:04:56 AM »

my copy only has markings for Chapaevtsi

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Graham Boak

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2010, 05:19:09 PM »

Is that the new re-release? My information may be wrong.  Looking at the website, there are clearly two options, but the lower one isn't clear.

It's a long time since I've had an Airfix Il. 2, which was lost with the rest of my early kits when I left home.  Just how unsalvageable is it, really?
Dark Green Man

« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2010, 06:48:33 AM »

my copy says 'Airfix-72' 1/72 scale kit series 2.
on the side of the box it says 'Pattern no. 293'
does that help any? I know very little about the production of Airfix kits.
this one has Chapaevtsi in Green/Dark Green camo with yellow-bordered stars and check this out the decal sheet says 'Ilyushin Il-3 Stormovik' and the box says Il-2M3.
I have looked on the kit parts,instruction sheet, decal sheet and box and can find no date whatsoever.
I did see photos of a completed kit on the 'net a while back but , I can't recall the URL right now.
aircraft resource center ?

"when we lose the right to be different, we lose the priviledge to be free"--Charles Evans Hughes
Graham Boak

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2010, 10:17:42 AM »

If you didn't buy it very recently, it can't be the re-release. I suspect from the number and the description that it is the old one.  The alternative in the re-release is a white-tailed Soviet aircraft.
Dark Green Man

« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2010, 06:09:00 PM »

based on the description it sounds like 'the old one' to me.
and I found that review I was talking about-it seems to be the re-issue.
if you look past the garish paint scheme you will see the flaws in the kit.

http://www.aircraftresourcecenter.com/Gal8/7701-7800/gal7712-Sturmovik-Aire/00.shtm

learstang

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2010, 07:20:52 PM »

I've been thinking about getting that "IL-2" kit just for the purpose of obtaining the Mongolian markings.  The box art included on Hannants clearly shows the Mongolian version.  Since the kit is reasonably cheap (and rightfully so!), I may just buy it for the decals.  Has anyone seen the decals in question, and are they worth buying the kit for?  By the way, nice to see some familiar names on this site like Graham Boak, marluc, DGM, John Thompson, mholly, KL, etc.

Regards,

Learstang
« Last Edit: May 25, 2010, 07:23:16 PM by learstang » Logged

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Graham Boak

« Reply #7 on: July 01, 2010, 04:36:51 PM »

OK, I gave in and bought it for the transfers, Toko-bound.  Now can anyone confirm the colour scheme of dark green over light blue?

It is about 50 years since I last looked at the Airfix kit, so I decided to consider it as a challenge, and see what actually could be done with it.  The fuselage is workable - it's only a little too round and too deep.  Had the plastic parts been as thick as the new Airfix Hurricane that wouldn't have mattered at all, but it is livable with - the depth, that is.  The cockpit's too short but I've a Falcon canopy set spare, so the most diffficult part would be beefing up the nose.  OK, done that plenty of times on Hurricanes.  Spinner's not too bad but prop is awful - spare from Revell Hurricane should do.  Wheels too small - OK, I've a couple from the SMER Ski variant.  Plenty of spare weapons. 

Then I turned to the flying surfaces - oh dear!  about 30% short on chord of wings and tailplanes.  I suspect that kills any idea of bodging it.

My apologies to those to whom this is familiar, but as i said, I haven't seen the kit for 50 years.  I knew it was bad, but not the details.
learstang

« Reply #8 on: July 01, 2010, 05:49:08 PM »

It's brave of you, Graham, to even consider trying to rescue the Airfix kit!  I'm afraid that unlike the Mikro/Plastyk/Mastercraft kit, it is totally irredeemable.  I've seen one picture of the Mongolian Shturmoviks, and they do appear to be green over blue.  At least, that's the safe way to go.  Here's a link to a couple of profiles on Wings Palette - http://wp.scn.ru/en/ww2/a/264/34/0 (note that one of the profiles has our old friend brown and green as the topsides colours - I wouldn't go by that).  I'll be interested to hear how the decals work out, before I go and buy the Airfix kit.  Good luck with it, and post some pictures when you have it done (or even as you're building it)!

Regards,

Learstang

- Warren William Zevon
Graham Boak

« Reply #9 on: July 01, 2010, 11:34:53 PM »

By the time I get around to making it and putting the transfers on, the Airfix kit will have been long gone from the shelves!  Long term project, I'm afraid.
erussell

« Reply #10 on: March 07, 2013, 12:12:29 AM »

If you are good enough and work hard enough, no kit is beyond redemption

http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234916059-airfix-il-2-sturmovik-the-hard-way/

learstang

« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2013, 01:22:30 AM »

I'd seen that.  Pretty amazing what that chap did.  It actually ends up looking like a proper Shturmovik!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #12 on: March 07, 2013, 03:37:56 AM »

Funny

this was a topic on Britmodeller today
http://www.britmodeller.com/forums/index.php?/topic/234935930-any-pictures-of-mongolian-il-2s-out-there/

Here's an edit of my post

I have seen various profiles, with fanciful coloured markings.  The pics looks like a single colour behind the mongolian symbols are in white of a soild colour background, red would be a good guess.

The two profiles I know of are

Neither of which I'd trust. 

the pic is taken from the side port side, as in the top profile.  These are based on the photo, or Bort 24 BTW.

Done at 300 dpi, but then had some gaussian blur added to take out the dot screening.  In the book the contrast a a little better.

Remember NEVER trust a profile without the photo!

I'd suggest a standard VVS scheme,

eg this one, but it's hard to tell due to the shadow on the cowling of the prop blade and mechanic!

with red patches like the top profile, and white symbols number like the 2nd profile. 
The reason, was not the Mongolian AF essentially a Soviet puppet force? So all equipment would be basically Soviet?

I'll not looked at the IL-2 pages here properly to see if I can work out what factory/details, but this may get done by someone else.

I'm not sure from the pic if it's a straight or arrow wing Il-2. 
From the wing shadow,  I'd suggest arrow wing [Jason, opinion?]

I'd suggest a standard VVS scheme, note camouflage on nose, with red patches like the top profile, and white symbols number like the 2nd profile.

I can see no evidence of the blue/red.  The spinner could well be in the underside colour.  There may be stripes on the rudder, or they could be repairs. Or remains of VVS markings.

Should this be here, or a new thread?

cheers
T
learstang

« Reply #13 on: March 07, 2013, 04:53:47 AM »

Actually, Troy, Massimo has done a profile of a Mongolian Il-2 with the standard VVS three-colour scheme.  Since they were supplied at the end of or slightly after the war, they were undoubtedly arrows.

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Troy Smith

« Reply #14 on: March 07, 2013, 05:27:16 AM »

DOH! how did i miss that!

Where on the site is this? 

thanks
T
Pages: [1] 2
  Print