Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Using Akan Acrylics
Sovietwarplanes
March 28, 2024, 12:43:56 PM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  
Author Topic: Using Akan Acrylics  (Read 26032 times)
learstang

« Reply #15 on: October 23, 2011, 05:26:20 AM »

A very timely post, Pip, as I've been experimenting the last few days with some of the MM greens.  The one I had high hopes for is the Field Green.  I test painted it on a 1/72nd scale Yak-9, next to some black, and it looks just too dark for my tastes.  MM Green is the correct colour (about the right amount of olive), but it's too light.  Something about halfway between the two would be about right.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on a good MM equivalent for AMT-4.  I know I could darken or lighten the paints, but I am constitutionally unable to do this.  I buy paints in a bottle for a reason - so I can use them straight out of the bottle.  It's enough of a struggle for me to finish my models without remembering how much white or black to add to each colour.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Seawinder

« Reply #16 on: October 23, 2011, 06:22:03 AM »

A very timely post, Pip, as I've been experimenting the last few days with some of the MM greens.  The one I had high hopes for is the Field Green.  I test painted it on a 1/72nd scale Yak-9, next to some black, and it looks just too dark for my tastes.  MM Green is the correct colour (about the right amount of olive), but it's too light.  Something about halfway between the two would be about right.  I look forward to hearing your thoughts on a good MM equivalent for AMT-4.  I know I could darken or lighten the paints, but I am constitutionally unable to do this.  I buy paints in a bottle for a reason - so I can use them straight out of the bottle.  It's enough of a struggle for me to finish my models without remembering how much white or black to add to each colour.

Jason, I agree -- if it's going to involve mixing (which I think is inevitable to get a decent AMT-4 using Model Master enamels), then it wants to be a simple, easy-to-replicate mix like 1-to-1. I've got to go to bed now (church in the morning), but I'll post a couple of possibly worthwhile observations tomorrow. In the meantime, do consider the following: 1 -- based on Konstantin's great photos and FS samples posted to the other thread, it definitely looks as if AMT-4 falls somewhere between 24102 and 24151; 2 -- Model Master's 1713 is not a really accurate representation of FS 24102 (nor for that matter is their 1710 a good representation of FS 34079). 1713 is both lighter and greener than 34102.

More tomorrow.
Pip
John Thompson
Global Moderator

« Reply #17 on: October 24, 2011, 01:34:38 AM »

OTOH, Akan's AMT-4 does not impress me. I think it's a poor match for either of the two most common FS references, 24102 and 24151. Its hue is is browner than 24102, and significantly darker -- very close to 24079. Also, (like a lot of green paints when compared to blues, I think), it is harder to apply, even unthinned: it tends to bead away from the point of application, leaving uncovered areas.

More later.
Pip Moss

That's interesting - I found the same thing when making colour samples, although I was only using a toothpick to apply a heavy drop of paint, not a brush or airbrush. I wonder if Liquitex Flow Aid would be useful - I haven't tried it myself.

John
learstang

« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2011, 05:01:43 AM »

Pip, you're probably correct about the mixing to get the AMT-4 colour right using MM paints.  But I still haven't given up on finding a reasonably close analogue.  It doesn't have to match AKAN or the Albom Nakrasok exactly (too dark for 1/72nd scale in my opinion, anyway).

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Pages: 1 [2]
  Print  

Jump to: