Deprecated: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in /membri/massimotessitori/sovietwarplanes/board/Sources/Load.php(225) : runtime-created function on line 3
Stalingrad-Berlin
Sovietwarplanes
April 19, 2024, 10:52:49 AM *
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
News: This forum replaces the old sovietwarplanes.com whose domain has expired in January 2017. It has been updated with the posts of the year 2016.
The new location of the site 'Sovietwarplanes pages' is at http://massimotessitori.altervista.org/sovietwarplanes/pages/

Home   Help Search Login Register  
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  
Author Topic: Stalingrad-Berlin  (Read 11370 times)
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« on: February 19, 2011, 05:29:54 PM »

Hi,
thanks to Oleg Korytov, there are some screenshots from a video completing his interview to Boreiko
http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/pilots/boreiko/boreiko.htm

The bands, some spinners and perhaps the fillet around the fuselage stars were yellow.

Massimo
learstang

« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2011, 02:02:59 AM »

Massimo, I'm always in doubt about the use of yellow in Soviet 'planes during the GPW.  Since it was the Axis identifying colour, I think the usage would have been minimal to avoid misidentification.  I especially doubt its use on spinners - it seems there would have been too much chance of friendly fire.  If I were a pilot and I saw a plane with any yellow on the nose flashing in front of me, I would have shot first and asked questions later.  Perhaps as the war drew to an end, it might have been more widely used with the near disappearance of the Luftwaffe.  Nonetheless, nice pictures and the Shturmoviks seem to be in excellent condition with very little evidence of weathering.

Regards,

Jason

"I'll sleep when I'm dead."

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2011, 09:21:40 AM »

Hi Jason, Smiley
I know that Pokryshkin thought the very same thing about yellow noses. However, the use of yellow is described in the interview. Yes, he wrote also that many Il-2s were overall green, and this could be wrong before the war's end. However the report on yellow looks reliable and fully compatible with these photos.
Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2011, 05:56:54 PM »

Massimo, I'll admit that it does look like yellow.  I've seen reports of yellow noses on other Soviet aircraft so who knows.  Could they have been silver?  I know there seems to be some controversy regarding the usage of silver as opposed to yellow, as I believe they look similar in some black and white photography.  However, in this case I think silver would have been a bit more shiny (metallic-looking)?

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2011, 06:26:56 PM »

Hi Jason,
the report of the pilot about yellow bands looks credible and well detailed.

? Fine. Let me ask you about airplanes. How they were painted in your regiment?
Plain green? There were some with cammo, but mostly one tone green.
? In reconnaissance squadron?
Olive. And blue from below.
? What about placing tactical numbers?
No special place, where technician found fit.
? Fast recognition elements?
In our division there were four regiments? Yellow bandages over fuselage. 79th ? four bandages. 59th ? 2. 58th had one bandage and yellow spinner. And a yellow cap at the fin on all airplanes of the regiment.
? Was there airplane No 13?
Yes, of course.
? Do you remember your airplane tactical number?
No, we had to fly on different planes all the time both in shturmovik and reconnaissance units.
? Were there planes with some pictures?
No. We did not do it.
? What about insignias: ?For Motherland?, ?For Stalin??
Insignias appeared when war ended. There was a film director Rom, he was sent to our division to make a movie ?Victory?. We formed up and flew over Berlin. In some of the rear cabins there were moviemakers sitting instead of gunners. On the sides of our planes it was written: ?Stalingrad-Berlin?.
? That is, this insignia was for filming purposes only?
Yes, for making film only.
? When approximately did it happen?
In 1945? But after war ended?

Silver on curved surfaces can be distinguished easily by any other color for its way to reflect. Besides, yellow borders of stars are considered as possible by Orlov

Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2012, 07:54:07 AM »

Hi,
I've made this drawing of Stalingrad-Berlin planes:

and I've uploaded photos and comments at

http://mig3.sovietwarplanes.com/il-2/il2-camo/stalingrad-berlin/stalingrad-berlin.html

Please, let me know any comment on them.
I'll go on holidays for some days, if there are suggestions I can eventually modify the artywork or comments.

Regards
Massimo
learstang

« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2012, 07:47:39 PM »

That looks great, Massimo (yes, I would like it for the book)!  Enjoy your holiday!

Regards,

Jason

- Warren William Zevon
Bert

« Reply #7 on: August 01, 2012, 11:21:21 PM »

Hi Massimo!
Are you sure about the swept wing? Some airplanes on the photographs definitely have a straight wing.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #8 on: August 02, 2012, 11:54:16 AM »

Hi Bert,

here we see the discontinuity of the profile of the rear edge, so it's surely an arrow.
Regards
Massimo
FPSOlkor

« Reply #9 on: August 02, 2012, 08:57:35 PM »

I'd say that a bit of correction is required for insignia - it is slightly off horizon on the photos - @AD@ in @Stalingrad@is touching a horizontal white outline, while @LIN@ in @Berlin@ is quite below in the red field. Same with 4 in TN - it is not totally parallel to the leading edge of the fin
« Last Edit: August 02, 2012, 11:28:23 PM by FPSOlkor » Logged
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #10 on: August 03, 2012, 02:34:06 PM »

Hi Oleg,
ok, I'll do this as soon as possible.
Regards
Massimo
FPSOlkor

« Reply #11 on: August 04, 2012, 08:57:28 AM »

Note also that vertical line in 4 is ending not in stump, but in a more like russian L manner.
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #12 on: August 04, 2012, 03:34:10 PM »

Hi,
I see, I'll fix it.
Regards
Massimo
Massimo Tessitori
Administrator

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2012, 06:18:10 PM »

Hi Oleg, hi all,
I've updated the page. First, the drawing already posted should appear in updated form with small modifications to numbers and the position of starsnd writing, and with a red cap that appear visibe on all the available photos.

Then, I've made a second one

on the base of the screenshoot that you have sent.

Please, let me know any comment.
Regards
Massimo
FPSOlkor

« Reply #14 on: August 13, 2012, 10:11:21 PM »

No objections so far, quite nice actually. BTW - there is no direct link from the IL-2 page of the site. I'll keep looking for something interesting. BTW, what about Pe-2 "S-B" that I've sent you? Any suggestions?
Pages: [1] 2
  Print  

Jump to: